Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2024, 01:54 PM  
On Hiatus

Retirement Thread

After the positive responses and congratulations on my Retirement thread, the idea came to me that there should be a thread that helps everyone prepare for the eventuality of retirement.

There were many great ideas, comments and great suggestions that came out of the conversation. What I would like to do is put this here as a repository for information for anyone who is:
  • Ready to retire
  • Close to retirement
  • Beginning to plan for retirement

One of the things I came to find out is that no matter how much I had thought I was prepared for retirement, there were still things I had not pondered or prepared for.

So this thread is for all your questions, comments, advice to help others that are close to retirement.

I mean....this board is about a year and a half away from being around for a quarter of a century, and many of us who have been around are there already.

So, please feel free to contribute!
Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:09 PM   #61
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
I can identify with so much of this. July 1st, it will have been a decade of retirement for us.

Like you mentioned, debt free was number one for us, so we have yet to touch our savings even though inflation has cut it's value in half.

I learned after a couple years it had been me creating my own stress in life, and it has not changed.

Like you mentioned, you are doing your own shit and I have a ton of it to do. Car/Boat shop, wood shop, etc. etc.

We enjoy our own company with kids and grandkids visits being the best.
we have no debt but the house. But, it’s worth at least $500K more than we owe. We may sell and have a house mortgage free and then we have no debt.

We have some cash but not the $1million or more I read online is the bar. That seems high for middle class unless you started saving in your 20’s.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 07:12 PM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
I can identify with so much of this. July 1st, it will have been a decade of retirement for us.

Like you mentioned, debt free was number one for us, so we have yet to touch our savings even though inflation has cut it's value in half.

I learned after a couple years it had been me creating my own stress in life, and it has not changed.

Like you mentioned, you are doing your own shit and I have a ton of it to do. Car/Boat shop, wood shop, etc. etc.

We enjoy our own company with kids and grandkids visits being the best.

Yeah, I’m looking to a stress free environment, at least no work stress. The last two years have been extremely difficult for me, health wise and I think getting rid of the work stress will help tremendously
RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:40 PM   #63
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider56 View Post
Yeah, I’m looking to a stress free environment, at least no work stress. The last two years have been extremely difficult for me, health wise and I think getting rid of the work stress will help tremendously
Same boat. 6 months and some change for me.
TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:29 AM   #64
Supporter

Quote:
I get it and wish you the best on that.

Now I stress about stupid shit like weeds in the yard etc.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:03 PM   #65
On Hiatus

Quote:
Work stress is what was part of what helped me make my decision to retire.

I didn't want them to carry me out of the office toes up and have a stranger show up to my wife's work and tell her that her husband died of a heart attack.
Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.Mosbonian is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:43 AM   #66
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbonian View Post

I didn't want them to carry me out of the office toes up and have a stranger show up to my wife's work and tell her that her husband died of a heart attack.
Yep, if you can swing it…it’s liberating. Between bureaucratic and political office bullshit, changing leadership and philosophical direction, and constantly changing technology that came with minimal ‘training’—all of which you endure every 7-9 yrs as part of a normal cycle, COVID and toxic cultural issues were the final straw. I do what I want, when I want, how I want and if I want. It’s awesome.
Mr. Kotter has disabled reputation
Old 04-08-2024, 09:17 AM   #67
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbonian View Post

Yep, if you can swing… it’s liberating. Between bureaucratic and political office bullshit, changing leadership and philosophical direction, and constantly changing technology that came with minimal ‘training’—all of which you endure every 7-9 yrs as part of a normal cycle, COVID and toxic cultural issues were the final straw. I do what I want, when I want, how I want and if I want. It’s awesome.
Mr. Kotter has disabled reputation
Old 04-08-2024, 09:21 AM   #68
"I'm with you fellers"

I don't really know what to do. I love 90% of my job as a shop teacher. I could retire and make about the same money. I could then go get another job and bank all of it. But man I think I will miss this. I thought about getting my cdl and driving local. Get in, drive, get out, go home.
Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #69
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter View Post
Yep, if you can swing it…it’s liberating. Between bureaucratic and political office bullshit, changing leadership and philosophical direction, and constantly changing technology that came with minimal ‘training’—all of which you endure every 7-9 yrs as part of a normal cycle, COVID and toxic cultural issues were the final straw. I do what I want, when I want, how I want and if I want. It’s awesome.
The bolded part above is what really made the job difficult...
Old 04-08-2024, 09:42 AM   #70
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
I don't really know what to do. I love 90% of my job as a shop teacher. I could retire and make about the same money. I could then go get another job and bank all of it. But man I think I will miss this. I thought about getting my cdl and driving local. Get in, drive, get out, go home.
Yeah...it's the 10% of your job that drives the frustration and makes it difficult to enjoy your job.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:14 AM   #71
Has a particular set of skills

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	436421070_771514861833393_5004689375133428376_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	127360  
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:39 AM   #72
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
😆 🤣

How true that is!!
Old 04-10-2024, 09:26 PM   #73
Certified Bourbon taster

My advice is: Get that library card out, and go check out some good reading material. Dashiel Hammet, Gene Wolfe, James Crumley are a few of my favorite.
Get a gym membership utilizing 'silver sneakers'. You can go work out 'for free'. You'll discover the truth of the old saying 'Move it or lose it'. So move it.
Buy a fishing license. Go, sit on the bank with a line in the water. Bring one of those good books from the library. Bring some bug spray.
Learn to cook mo' betttah. Grilled chicken breasts or lamb, marinated in a little italian dressing and cut into chunks to cook on skewers. Mushrooms are also good griled/olive oiled, You've got time, put it to good use.
BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:40 AM   #74
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan View Post
My advice is: Get that library card out, and go check out some good reading material. Dashiel Hammet, Gene Wolfe, James Crumley are a few of my favorite.
Get a gym membership utilizing 'silver sneakers'. You can go work out 'for free'. You'll discover the truth of the old saying 'Move it or lose it'. So move it.
Buy a fishing license. Go, sit on the bank with a line in the water. Bring one of those good books from the library. Bring some bug spray.
Learn to cook mo' betttah. Grilled chicken breasts or lamb, marinated in a little italian dressing and cut into chunks to cook on skewers. Mushrooms are also good griled/olive oiled, You've got time, put it to good use.
All of this is great advice and I am doing some of that already....the only bad piece of advice for me is the mushrooms part....I have a bad allergy to them,
Old 04-11-2024, 07:16 AM   #75
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan View Post
Yep, you begin losing something like ~.5%-1% of your muscle mass per year after 40 or ~5-8% per decade if you don't do anything about it.

(and by "anything", not sure it includes the old people at the gym who put 10lbs on the leg extension machine and lazily do a few reps... but, maybe it gets the hear rate up a bit if nothing else...)
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.