Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM  
El Gato Gordo Loco

Lion's Mane Mushrooms and Nootropica

Any CP members take Lions Mane often and other Nootropics? Wondering if it is placebo or actually works. I have issues with anxiety. I do not really have issues with concentration. Usually the two go hand in hand but not for me. I've tried quite a few different drugs and nootropics to help me navigate through life. I'm pretty introverted but can be very conversational under the right circumstances. It's just exhausting sometimes faking extroversion and the anxiety that can come from it.

Nootriopics/Drugs I've tried
--PS128 Medical Probiotic - This has almost been life-changing on how it positively affects my mood and lowers my frustration level
--Marijuana - Unlike most this actually INCREASES my anxiety and can give me paranoia yet it quickly makes me tired and want to sleep.
--GABA - I suppose gives a heightened since of clarity for a very short time but just doesn't last then gives me a tingling annoying feeling on my skin
--Caffeine -- I intake around 600 mg daily and it really helps me with clarity, focus and just general alertness. I get cranky if I don't take it. It makes me LESS anxious.
--Ashwagandha -- does absolutely nothing
--Alpha GPC -- nothing I can notice
--L-Theanine -- This does work but it is mild. When taking it with caffeine it kind of counter acts it though
-- Adderal -- Makes me feel great and confident. I don't know about clarity though...Ill notice I think Im in perfect clarity but will make a bad decision. Also unhealthy.
--COQ10 -- Dont really know what it does
--Modafinil -- Pretty amazing but dont know long term effects as its a drug and difficult to get a prescription
--Alcohol -- completely alleviates anxiety but makes me dumb and silly. Also not healthy and too much will make me cranky when I get hungover and coming down.

Thinking about trying Lions Mane and 5-HTP

Last edited by BWillie; Today at 10:09 AM..
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:08 AM   #2
Now you've pissed me off!

I'm going to give everyone some free advice: any amino acid or protein supplement you take orally for a structure/function purpose is a complete waste of money. The acidic environment of the stomach will protonate sites on the amino acids and change their conformational structure. That's why monoclonal antibodies are injectable.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:38 AM   #3
Politically Incorrect

No Lions Mane Mushrooms but I do like Beaver Juice Smoothies
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #4
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
I'm going to give everyone some free advice: any amino acid or protein supplement you take orally for a structure/function purpose is a complete waste of money. The acidic environment of the stomach will protonate sites on the amino acids and change their conformational structure. That's why monoclonal antibodies are injectable.
Are you saying that drinking protein shakes doesn't do you any good as a dietary supplement or is that not part of the structure/function purpose you are talking about? I assume you are talking about the new craze of people taking peptides in oral form for things like improving HGH levels etc...?
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran

This is kinda my thing, big proponent of medicinal mushrooms and adaptogens. I’d suggest getting Reishi and Chaga involved as well. This is my personal favorite blend of them and more that helps with a multitude of things along with anxiety relief (energy, immune support, memory/clarity, mood etc.)

https://www.amazon.com/Om-Organic-Mu...6&gad_source=1

Otherwise if you’re trying to go the full bio-hacking route to see what specifically works for you best there’s plenty of options to get just specific strains to see what all works for you. Also sounds like CBD could potentially be a good route for you. I can point you in the direction of more resources if you’d like, feel free to shoot me a dm.
ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03 AM   #6
In Search of a Life

I'd just buy some 4Sigmatic or other Nootropic coffee/drink mix (I drink a lot of Odysssey 222 for my afternoon energy boost.. but it also has monkfruit / erythritol which isn't great for you).

Not sure about your feelings on or access to psychedelics, but you might look into microdose protocols as well.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Are you saying that drinking protein shakes doesn't do you any good as a dietary supplement or is that not part of the structure/function purpose you are talking about? I assume you are talking about the new craze of people taking peptides in oral form for things like improving HGH levels etc...?
Structure/function meaning medicinal benefits, not nutrition. It's why supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. They can't make claims about structure or function. Protein shakes will give you protein. 5-HT is serotonin, but when taken orally, it undergoes confirmational changes as it is metabolized, which alters its affinity for its receptors. When you take it, you're paying a lot of money for very little amino acid.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #8
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Structure/function meaning medicinal benefits, not nutrition. It's why supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. They can't make claims about structure or function. Protein shakes will give you protein. 5-HT is serotonin, but when taken orally, it undergoes confirmational changes as it is metabolized, which alters its affinity for its receptors. When you take it, you're paying a lot of money for very little amino acid.
Ok that's what I thought you meant. I noticed a lot of companies are trying to sell oral peptides now but everything I have read says they have to be injected to be effective.

Oral serotonin not being effective is new info for me though.

In a nutshell what you are saying is any amino acid based compound isn't effective taken orally (if taken for functional purposes).
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:34 AM   #9
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056 View Post
This is kinda my thing, big proponent of medicinal mushrooms and adaptogens. I’d suggest getting Reishi and Chaga involved as well. This is my personal favorite blend of them and more that helps with a multitude of things along with anxiety relief (energy, immune support, memory/clarity, mood etc.)

https://www.amazon.com/Om-Organic-Mu...6&gad_source=1

Otherwise if you’re trying to go the full bio-hacking route to see what specifically works for you best there’s plenty of options to get just specific strains to see what all works for you. Also sounds like CBD could potentially be a good route for you. I can point you in the direction of more resources if you’d like, feel free to shoot me a dm.
For whatever reason I do not react well with CBD. Ive tried many different kinds now and the effects just arent pleasurable. It gives me more anxiety not less which I know is strange. It seems like uppers reduce my anxiety more than downers in general, yet alcohol is different. I guess I need to try all the different types of mushrooms and see what works for me but I like what Ive read about Lions Mane so far. Also just as a anti inflammatory and potentially keeping the brain healthy as a long term aid.

5-HT would worry me to take indefinitely but at a couple week intervals maybe its not so bad.

Last edited by BWillie; Today at 09:40 AM..
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #10
Supporter

Quote:
Not 100% true. BPC-157 has been proven to aid in treatment and prevention of ulcers and other digestive track issues when taken orally.
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #11
El Gato Gordo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinz View Post
Not 100% true. BPC-157 has been proven to aid in treatment and prevention of ulcers and other digestive track issues when taken orally.
Almost every doctor Ive ever talked to think Nootropics is a bunch of hogwash. I assume most of it is but after taking a medical probiotic and seeing how theanine can work there has to be some benefits.
Old Today, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Ok that's what I thought you meant. I noticed a lot of companies are trying to sell oral peptides now but everything I have read says they have to be injected to be effective.

Oral serotonin not being effective is new info for me though.

In a nutshell what you are saying is any amino acid based compound isn't effective taken orally (if taken for functional purposes).
In about 99.5% of the cases, yes. That's why treatments for depression work on serotonin reuptake by neurotransmitters. You can't ingest more serotonin, but if you prevent the neurotransmitters from hoovering back up, you allow the existing serotonin to exert its effects over a longer period which enhances mood.

Bioavailability is key.
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinz View Post
Okay, cool. Show me the study.
Old Today, 10:13 AM   #14
Supporter

Quote:
Okay, cool. Show me the study.
https://pubmed.ncbi..nih.gov/21548867/
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.
Old Today, 10:18 AM   #15
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Almost every doctor Ive ever talked to think Nootropics is a bunch of hogwash. I assume most of it is but after taking a medical probiotic and seeing how theanine can work there has to be some benefits.
BPC-157 isn't a nootropic. I was just using it as an example of an AA that is gastric stable and can be taken effectively orally.

Probably helps that BPC-157 is made naturally in the gastric lining.