Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2023, 08:04 AM  
Veteran

Garmin KC Marathon Races (October 21, 2023)

Anyone planning to run one of the four Garmin KC Marathon races (5k, 10k, half-marathon, full marathon) this upcoming Saturday? I'm going to be trying the full, which I also ran last year and enjoyed. There were several Bills fans running last year, in town for the Bills-Chiefs game the following day. Might see some Charger fans there this year.

https://www.sportkc.org/marathon

Last edited by DanT; 10-14-2023 at 08:18 AM..
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran

My goals for the race include my 220-pound body not causing any potholes.
My C goal is to finish, B goal is to go sub-5, and A goal is to beat 4 hours and 50 minutes. I set my PR there last year (4:42:36), but I'm about 10 to 15 pounds heavier now.
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
There were several Bills fans running last year, in town for the Bills-Chiefs game the following day. Might see some Charger fans there this year.
You wouldn't see Charger fans if they held it in L.A.
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:15 AM   #4
Choco Favre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Anyone planning to run one of the four Garmin KC Marathon races (5k, 10k, half-marathon, full marathon) this upcoming Saturday? I'm going to be trying the full, which I also ran last year and enjoyed. There were several Bills fans running last year, in town for the Bills-Chiefs game the following day. Might see some Charger fans there this year.

https://www.sportkc.org/marathon
Chargers fans?
New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by New World Order View Post
Chargers fans?
😂
They have a couple out here in California, but maybe those two aren’t runners😂
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:37 AM   #6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazu View Post
You wouldn't see Charger fans if they held it in L.A.
Old 10-15-2023, 01:05 PM   #7
Veteran

Bumping for the Sunday crew and visitors
Old 10-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #8
Mod Team

Just had a female friend finish her first marathon in 3:38. I think that's pretty damn impressive. She ran steeplechase in college.

Too many people "run" marathons and think finishing them is some sort of super human feat. It's not. Most are overweight and shouldn't be running anyway. If that many overweight people can finish a marathon, why do people consider it impressive? I could literally finish faster than most of them at a walking pace. Not impressive.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #9
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Just had a female friend finish her first marathon in 3:38. I think that's pretty damn impressive. She ran steeplechase in college.

Too many people "run" marathons and think finishing them is some sort of super human feat. It's not. Most are overweight and shouldn't be running anyway. If that many overweight people can finish a marathon, why do people consider it impressive? I could literally finish faster than most of them at a walking pace. Not impressive.
Congratulations to your friend! That's a great accomplishment!

The KC Marathon has a 6-hour time limit and requires that participants maintain a 14-minute per mile pace. If someone is able to walk that long a distance at that fast a pace, that's pretty damn impressive, in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #10
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:

Even walking 26 miles is really hard and impressive. It's, like, halfway to space, though admittedly not as vertical.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2023, 03:45 PM   #11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Even walking 26 miles is really hard and impressive. It's, like, halfway to space, though admittedly not as vertical.

Heck, even walking 13.1 miles is impressive.
I ran for decades before I ran my first half-marathon, and for that one and almost every one since I took a few breaks to walk, get some refreshments, and pee.
As you know, the half-marathon is a challenging and fun distance.
For KC, the half and the full marathon runners run together from the start to about the end of the 13th mile.

So, together they get to see the Plaza, Westport, downtown, the 18th and Vine district (near my high school, Lincoln), a long climb up Paseo and then through Hyde Park and down Gilham. At 47th (Cleaver Blvd), the half-marathoners turn right for the last little bit to finish in front of the Nelson-Atkins Museum, while the full-marathoners turn left and then run up Troost for a little bit before turning and running toward the neighborhoods north of the Plaza, including Brookside, along Ward Parkway, and Waldo, before turning back and coming back to the finish line. I know all these neighborhoods well because I grew up by Paseo High (around 49th and Paseo) but was bussed to elementary school to the the Brookside area, and then was bussed to Lincoln for junior and senior high. Plus, our parents didn't drive, so we rode buses and walked all over the place. Running the course last year brought back a lot of fond memories, and I'm sure it will again this year.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #12
Veteran

Quote:
lewdog, I didn’t ask you how fast you finished your last marathon and how much of it you walked, because the fraction of actual marathon finishers who would post such disrespectful horseshit as you posted is vanishingly small. It’s easy for ignorant people to talk shit, but let’s see you finish a marathon and see if you still believe the horseshit you muttered.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #13
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

I'm not in good shape these days and need to lose 20-30 pounds. It's slowed me down immensely, so my "runs" are just slow jogs intermixed with walking. I can still do a pretty good distance, but I'm annoyed at how slow I am.

Since I'm mostly walking now, I've switched my long runs to "urban hikes" where I just pick a direction and walk. The furthest I've done is 20 miles and that's really hard on the feet. I keep wanting to do a 26 mile walk, but I don't have it in me right now.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #14
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'm not in good shape these days and need to lose 20-30 pounds. It's slowed me down immensely, so my "runs" are just slow jogs intermixed with walking. I can still do a pretty good distance, but I'm annoyed at how slow I am.

Since I'm mostly walking now, I've switched my long runs to "urban hikes" where I just pick a direction and walk. The furthest I've done is 20 miles and that's really hard on the feet. I keep wanting to do a 26 mile walk, but I don't have it in me right now.
Come down here to sea level where it’s flat and you might be able to gain a few miles, Kevin! I remember the week before my first marathon (in Cincinnati in 2022) I was up there in Denver for a conference and that was a harder place to run, with the altitude and hills!😀

But, yeah, feet get sore regardless!
Old 10-16-2023, 10:16 AM   #15
Diablo Negro

I keep forgetting about this race for some reason and I've had it on my list for a while, I know a person involved in putting on the Garmin race. I'm doing the Salina Marathon on Nov 4th. Just randomly kind of came up and they were running a $7 sign up special.

That will be my 10th Marathon I think and I've done around 5 50Ks and 2 50 milers with a personal long distance of 55 miles.

Lewdog couldn't be more wrong, 26 miles is 26 miles whether you are hiking or running its always work. Frankly the people spending 5+ hours out there to finish have my respect. I've never run slower than 3:55:00 with a PR of 3:20:02. Is it super human? No but its more work than 99% of people are willing to put in.

Not sure how old your coworker is Lew but she likely ran fast enough to qualify for Boston unless she is really young so what she did is indeed impressive.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote