Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM  
Damn it feels good.

Have you ever used a personal trainer?

Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?
SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:47 PM   #256
Damn it feels good.

Hello all. I wanted to give an update (if anyone found interest) and ask a question.

I've been seeing the trainer for 2 days a week since last June. It's been tough but worthwhile experience. We're onto more standard workout routines that include a variety of interesting lifts. Squats, incline dumbbell press, stretchy band work, supported rows, Romanian deadlifts, overhead press, etc. etc.

I start every workout with 5-10 minutes on the treadmill to warm up, then we hit the lifts hard for 30 solid minutes. Being a bigger dude, I'm exhausted af of course. I find stuff outside the gym is getting easier, so my stamina is definitely improving. Somehow my lifting in high school and college many moons ago has kept me pretty strong, and my lifting technique has picked right back up where it left off.

My plan is to continue w/ the trainer for a few more months, then move on to a different gym membership where my wife and I can both workout together, keeping each other accountable. I'm excited for that next challenge!

QUESTION: I'm looking for new gym shoes. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject, and I'm somewhat familiar with the brands that are available and whatnot. I've been rocking some Brooks shoes that have been great (I have wide feet, so the ones I have are awesome), but it's time for a new pair. Any brand or specific shoe you'd like to recommend as your go-to? Most important aspect is the wide feet thing - I need actually wide ones and not "I think these are plenty wide but they aren't marked as wide" versions. Thoughts?
SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:34 PM   #257
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
Hello all. I wanted to give an update (if anyone found interest) and ask a question.

I've been seeing the trainer for 2 days a week since last June. It's been tough but worthwhile experience. We're onto more standard workout routines that include a variety of interesting lifts. Squats, incline dumbbell press, stretchy band work, supported rows, Romanian deadlifts, overhead press, etc. etc.

I start every workout with 5-10 minutes on the treadmill to warm up, then we hit the lifts hard for 30 solid minutes. Being a bigger dude, I'm exhausted af of course. I find stuff outside the gym is getting easier, so my stamina is definitely improving. Somehow my lifting in high school and college many moons ago has kept me pretty strong, and my lifting technique has picked right back up where it left off.

My plan is to continue w/ the trainer for a few more months, then move on to a different gym membership where my wife and I can both workout together, keeping each other accountable. I'm excited for that next challenge!

QUESTION: I'm looking for new gym shoes. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject, and I'm somewhat familiar with the brands that are available and whatnot. I've been rocking some Brooks shoes that have been great (I have wide feet, so the ones I have are awesome), but it's time for a new pair. Any brand or specific shoe you'd like to recommend as your go-to? Most important aspect is the wide feet thing - I need actually wide ones and not "I think these are plenty wide but they aren't marked as wide" versions. Thoughts?
Good work dude.

Be careful with running shoes. I typically use Brooks also, but they can be not especially stable for squats/deadlift. You want to watch for shoes that have a big heel-toe drop. Those will push your posture forward and create instability. Make sure you get one that has minimal heel-toe drop.

They make some lifting shoes, but that may not work too good for the treadmill, especially if you're needing support.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:04 PM   #258
Damn it feels good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Good work dude.

Be careful with running shoes. I typically use Brooks also, but they can be not especially stable for squats/deadlift. You want to watch for shoes that have a big heel-toe drop. Those will push your posture forward and create instability. Make sure you get one that has minimal heel-toe drop.

They make some lifting shoes, but that may not work too good for the treadmill, especially if you're needing support.
Thank you very much.

And yes, I should clarify that while I'm not looking for weightlifting specific shoes (like NoBull or the like), I am cognizant of the heel-toe thing. Walking is still a big portion of my routine, so these need to be cross-purpose type shoes in that regard.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:09 PM   #259
Most Valuable Villain

Don't most people just use flat bottomed shoes like Converse to lift in?
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:12 PM   #260
The man you could post like.

These are my go to workout shoes.

Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #261
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post

Something like these is what I've been using for a few years now. They're flatter and wider so they make good weight-training shoes, but still have some wedge to them so you can run comfortably in them. Don't forget to get some performance insoles; you'll be surprised how much more stable they can be over the stock ones that come with your shoes.
https://www.gearhungry.com/best-crossfit-shoes/
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:30 PM   #262
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
Don't most people just use flat bottomed shoes like Converse to lift in?
Yep.

No need to overcomplocate this. If you want one shoe for everything, just get a cross trainer. I have heard good things about metcon and nano.

Last edited by SupDock; 02-16-2023 at 10:43 PM..
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.