Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2020, 03:06 PM  
The Demon Preacher

Video Card chat

I just picked up a new monitor (34" Ultra Wide 1440p 144MHz 1500R Curve Samsung Panel -VA) to replace my 3 monitor setup (24" ASUS 1080p). Now I need a new video card to drive the monitor.

My current rig is:

Intel Core i-7 4770k Processor
32GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Radeon RX 570 Video Card

This card is going to struggle to push anything more than low to medium graphics on games with this new monitor. Where I'm torn is the cost of new video cards.

If I'm looking hard enough, I can stumble across an open box 5600 for $200 or $230 new. A 5700 for $320 (open box) or $350 new. But at that point... why would I just not drop another $100 for the 6700 at $449?

Ultimately... that makes the 5700 a non player and I'm left choosing between a 5600 at $230 or a 6700 at $450. I'd rather not spend an extra $220 but I feel like the 6700 would probably be the last video card my current build sees.

Then what about the 20x series by nVidia? By paying a touch more I get Ray Tracing which is cool but I'm not paying for a 2080, for what I would pay for a 2070 I may as well snag one of the new AMD cards. A 2060 is going for $320 new... I don't know that Ray Tracing is worth nearly $100.

Better yet... do any of you fellow nerds have an itch to update and want to sell me their 5k/20x series cards?
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #211
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx View Post
Microcenter had plenty of 3060 - 3080tis in stock and the entire lineup of AMD cards yesterday.
Also says they have 10 3090 EVGA in stock, the best cooled card in the series but still over $1900
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:51 AM   #212
On one quarter

CP: I'm headed to Micro Center today to buy a GPU. tell me what is the best value Geforce. I'm looking to spend $600 or less
Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:39 AM   #213
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpicker View Post
CP: I'm headed to Micro Center today to buy a GPU. tell me what is the best value Geforce. I'm looking to spend $600 or less
Probably a 3060 around that price range. There's several versions of 3060 though, some have 6GB, the second gen has 12GB. There's also a Ti version.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:42 AM   #214
Ain't no relax!

Shit, you could get a 3070 for $629+tax.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...-graphics-card
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #215
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Shit, you could get a 3070 for $629+tax.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...-graphics-card
Sold out
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #216
On one quarter

its all good. I should really stick to my budget. a 3060 will suffice. I don't play many AAA games.
Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Fishpicker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #217
The Demon Preacher

Quote:
its all good. I should really stick to my budget. a 3060 will suffice. I don't play many AAA games.
If so, may I suggest the 3060ti. You stay within your price range but get a substantial increase in power.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...060/4090vs4105
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:20 AM   #218
On one quarter

Quote:
If so, may I suggest the 3060ti. You stay within your price range but get a substantial increase in power.

Yep, that's what I ended up buying
Old 04-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #219
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Yep, that's what I ended up buying
Not bad and should serve you well, I'm mining with my two 3090's and using a 1080TI for gaming.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:41 PM   #220
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:

3060ti is actually the best bang for buck right now.

I went 5700xt two years ago, but looking at the 3090ti has given me a chubby.
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:40 AM   #221
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan

Woot has a RTX 3090 for 999 right now. I think that is getting down there.

https://www.woot.com/offers/zotac-ga...f=w_cnt_wp_0_1
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #222
WhatUneed2Hear

Picked up a 3080 from my buddy he used to mine for $400, it's the 10 gb variant which kinda sucks but it's fast enough to replace my 1080ti.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:10 AM   #223
Needs more middle fingers

The high end video card cult has always tripped me out.

Ya'll will drop $1K-$1,500 on a video card and then replace that shit a year or two later.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:04 PM   #224
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
The high end video card cult has always tripped me out.

Ya'll will drop $1K-$1,500 on a video card and then replace that shit a year or two later.
3090 will be good for 5+ years. Honestly most GPU's are good for 2-4 years of games at max if you get a good enough one.

I'm just glad GPU prices are dropping because cypto crash.

I'm eyeing the shit out Radeon RX 6950 XT, its only 1,000. And it will destroy games and work great with Unreal5

Unreal 5 is going to change the dynamic because of how it does its processing and preloading.
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #225
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
3090 will be good for 5+ years. Honestly most GPU's are good for 2-4 years of games at max if you get a good enough one.

I'm just glad GPU prices are dropping because cypto crash.

I'm eyeing the shit out Radeon RX 6950 XT, its only 1,000. And it will destroy games and work great with Unreal5

Unreal 5 is going to change the dynamic because of how it does its processing and preloading.
I'm a bargain builder. Building top end PC's just aint a game ive ever been in.

You say 5 years out of a $1K video card? Shiiiiit....my ass would try to get a decade out of that thing, lol.

Hell, im still running a 2nd Gen I5 with a video card that, i dont even remember the model....but it was mid tier like 7-8 years ago hahaha. Cheap bastard i know.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.