Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2024, 09:47 PM  
MVP

Nightfyre Mock Off-season 1.0

OFFSEASON VARIATION 1.0
OVERVIEW
We are going to assume Sneed is traded for a second, designated pick 2A, doesn’t really matter at which point in the round right now. The name of the game in this mock is to acquire cost-controlled talent at premium positions that align with the strengths of the draft class.
There is a case to be made for moving up for value at Tackle, which we can tackle in a later mock, but this one will focus on weapons to shape the next iteration of the Chiefs Dynasty – hopefully just in time to extend the 5 year run four more years.

CUTS
Omenihu (Chiefs don’t need to negotiate against themselves here.)

ERFA TENDERS
Malik Herring
Jack Cochrane
Nazeeh Johnson
Mike Caliendo

EXTENSIONS
Justin Reid (Cap neutral to extend)
Harrison Butker (Cap neutral to extend)

FREE AGENCY (Probably not how everyone envisioned the off-season)
Chris Jones (Four year deal for 130M with 90M guaranteed)
4/130, 90ish gty'd incl. 40MM signing bonus.
Salary/Roster bonuses: 10/20/25/35
Cap Number: 20/30/35/45

Tyron Smith (One year deal for 5M with incentives LTBE of 3M and NLTBE up to 3M)
The Chiefs bring in Tyron Smith on an incentive-based deal understanding his injury history. This at least buys additional time for Morris to develop and for the Chiefs to evaluate who Morris will become.

Noah Brown (Two year deal for 11M)
We can’t go into the season with a corps of receivers consisting of a bunch of rookies. We need stability at either the X or the Z. Noah Brown has a chance to amplify his value by playing with the best quarterback in the league.

Javon Kinlaw (Three year deal for 18M)
Spags would love Kinlaw’s potential versatility on pass-rushing downs next to
Chris Jones. Big and strong enough to be inside and generate push on passing downs, and plays the run well enough to give Chris Jones a rest as needed.

Drew Lock (One year deal for 4M)
Drew Lock opts to come back to Missouri to back up Mahomes and receive the benefit of Reid’s tutelage. Lock and Reid have old connections that could make this a desirable outcome, and Gabbert didn’t do enough to inspire confidence to fill in for Mahomes, even on a temporary basis.

James Winchester (League Minimum)

Gross-Matos (League Minimum or thereabouts) Gross-Matos is really a scheme fit, should be willing to come play in Spags scheme on a prove-it deal to maximize his future value. The deal Danna gets should clinch this one.

Mike Pennel (League Minimum) - Mike proved he belongs during the super bowl. Maybe there’s more to his backstory I am unfamiliar with, but I can’t believe he wasn’t on a team last year.

RESTRUCTURE
Mahomes restructures 15M-20M to free up the requisite cap space.

DRAFT (Weapons-Palooza)
You may say this draft has too many receivers. I say, you can never get enough cost-controlled talent to fill the 25-30 million APY positions – EDGE, WR, OT, DTs (who can rush the passer) – We don’t want to pay these people. We want to build a strong core of talent in these positions so we can afford a deep roster.

The goal of this draft is to shore up the Z spot with Adonai Mitchell, and solve redzone scoring deficiencies with Coleman and Wilson, two targets who will catch the ball despite coverage by using their ability to create space with their bodies. Wilson, who should be evaluated and drafted through a tight-end lense, will also benefit from tutelage from Kelce – if he can develop the knack to read defenses and find soft zones, he would be uncoverable. Why draft him as a tight end? Because he moves like a really smooth one and his size profile is certainly there.

T'Vondre Sweat fills a huge need at the 0-tech, demanding a double team but with the push and athleticism to punish a team if they choose to double someone else.

Isaac Guerendo is someone I have hope for replacing McKinnon’s 3DRB role. Good hands, incredible athlete. These types of running backs are harder to find than one would think at first blush, so the team invests in a guy who has the upside without the wear and tear.

Jaylen Coker is a guy that will start by taking relief snaps in the slot – excellent routes to create separation is the name of his game. He lacks top-end speed but has explosive agility that will enable him to develop into the perfect WR4 in time – a guy who can take reps outside and in the slot, as needed, and move the chains by securing the catch.

R1: Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

R2A: Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

R2B: T’Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas

R3: Johnny Wilson, TE, Florida State

R4: Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

R5A: Jaylen Coker, WR, Holy Cross

R5B: Mason McCormick, IOL, NDSU
(I am not deep enough into this class to project anything this deep into the draft yet.) Finding FCS video is hard. This guy crushed the FCS competition and, by the sounds of it, the shrine bowl as well. A perfect mauler with a small school discount.

R6: Tyler Owens, S, Texas Tech
(I am not deep enough into this class to project anything this deep into the draft yet.) Purely a traits pick, since I have no earthly idea where else to go here.

R7: Gabe Hall, DL, Baylor
(I am not deep enough into this class to project anything this deep into the draft yet.) Purely a traits pick, since I have no earthly idea where else to go here.

Final Roster (52/53 open to suggestions for an additional tackle)
QB – Mahomes, Lock
RB – Pacheco, Guerendo, Prince
X – Brown, Coleman, Ross
Z – Mitchell, Toney
Y – Rice, Moore, Coker
TE – Kelce, Gray, Wilson
LT – Smith
LG – Thuney
C – Humphrey
RG – Smith
RT – Taylor
IOL Depth – McCormick, Caliendo
Swing Tackle – Morris
DE – Karlaftis, Gross-Matos, Anudike-Uzomah, Harring, Thompson, Hall
DT – Jones, Sweat, Kinlaw, Pennel, Farrell
LB – Bolton, Tranquill, Chenal, Cochrane, Jones
CB – McDuffie, Williams, Watson, Johnson, Jones
S – Reid, Cook, Conner, Owens
LS – Winchester
P – Araiza
K – Butker

Expected Compensatory Pick Summary:
Chiefs FA Losses expected to qualify for a compensatory pick:
Mike Danna
Willie Gay
Donovan Smith
Tommy Townsend

Chiefs FA losses that have the potential to qualify for a compensatory pick:
Tershawn Wharton
Nick Allegretti

Chiefs FA losses unlikely to qualify for a compensatory pick:
Marquez Valdez Scantling (Cut)
Mecole Hardman
Mike Edwards
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Prince Tega Wanogho
Blaine Gabbert
Jerick McKinnon
Blake Bell
Richie James
Derrick Nnadi
Deon Bush
Darius Harris
Jody Fortson

Free Agent acquisitions likely to count against the Chiefs compensatory formula:
Tyron Smith
Noah Brown
Javon Kinlaw

Last edited by Nightfyre; 03-08-2024 at 09:54 PM..
Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:23 PM   #16
MVP

I don't dislike the idea of Tyron Smith either but I'd feel alot better about bringing Donovan Smith back instead. I feel a lot more comfortable about getting 13+ games out of Donovan than I do Tyron. He's just been injured so much.

I'm not gonna lie, I really like George Fant as an option. He can play both sides, though I think he's a much better LT.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:31 PM   #17
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
I don't dislike the idea of Tyron Smith either but I'd feel alot better about bringing Donovan Smith back instead. I feel a lot more comfortable about getting 13+ games out of Donovan than I do Tyron. He's just been injured so much.

I'm not gonna lie, I really like George Fant as an option. He can play both sides, though I think he's a much better LT.
I'd be happy with D Smith returning also. Would be nice if Veach locked down LT before the draft and we were free to shop for weapons
Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:02 AM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato View Post
I'd be happy with D Smith returning also. Would be nice if Veach locked down LT before the draft and we were free to shop for weapons
I'd be equally happy in reverse but it is a bit tougher to go shopping for a LT.

The breakpoint on tackles is tough to gauge this year.

In terms of teams that I think will shop for a LT, it's WAS (2), ARZ (4), TEN (7), NYJ (10), NO (14), LAR (19), DAL (24), GB (25). Now, not all of those teams will. I think ARZ should slide Paris Johnson from RT to LT and look for a RT, LAR could let it ride with Alaric Jackson, DAL could slide Tyler Smith out from LG and focus on their IOL, and GB could roll with Rasheed Walker. Washington could take a QB.

Teams I feel will shop for a RT are ARZ (27), LAC (5), LV (13), CIN (18), BAL (30).

So if I operate on what I feel is a best-case scenario, we're still sucking wind at LT outside of getting into the top 15 unless we take a project like Mims or a projection like Guyton.

I'd fly up for Fautanu if he falls to 16. I feel Seattle is a nice potential landing zone in the middle of the 1st. Give them next year's 1 and a 3rd and call it a day. Imagine if two kids from Washington became lynchpins on each side of the ball.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.