Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2020, 03:28 PM  
"I'm with you fellers"

Don't be me with your computer files

I just lost all of my computer data dating back 20 years. Long story short I had it BACKED UP on a 2tb portable hard drive which I dropped. It's trashed. 2 different sysops looked at it. I can send it to the company and pray but that bill starts at $1000.00 They took it apart and its running but the arm is scratching back and forth across the disk. No light comes on and it is not recognized by any computer I plug it into. 20 years of taxes, personal files, small business files and lesson plans and lessons from my 30 years of teaching welding - gone.

Truthfully I had it backed up on my computer c drive which had to be re-imaged.
My though was, it gets re-imaged, I copy everything back, now I still have two copies. BAM god punished me.

Don't be me, back that stuff up twice. I would do it on "the cloud" but know little about it. Mr. Wizard is wrong again!

PS is the cloud a good idea for an old dog like me?

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 10-27-2020 at 03:42 PM..
Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Needs more middle fingers

I know a place in Delaware that might be able to have a gander...
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
Don't be me, back that stuff

via GIPHY

loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Choco Favre

That's why you have to backup your files on a floppy disk
New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Fish are scared of me

Yeah, I put all my important spreadsheets and stuff on my desktop and copy my desktop from time to time on a spare usb. Which reminds me I need to do that. Sorry that happened to you. You'll find that life still goes on though.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Supporter

I still have a DVD burner but yeah, it's been a couple years since I did a real backup. Of course, i have taxes, etc. all printed on paper and in a filing cabinet but lots of photos could be lost over the past couple years.
Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
Cheat Death

e-Hoarding: Buried Alive
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
'Tis my eye!

Dude.

Always back everything up AT LEAST twice.

I actually do hourly -> daily -> weekly -> monthly rollups to two different destinations, one of which I keep in a fireproof safe.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Fish are scared of me

I'm worried I'll lose all my contacts stored on my phone if I drop it in the lake. How can I back that up???
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
Yeah, I put all my important spreadsheets and stuff on my desktop and copy my desktop from time to time on a spare usb. Which reminds me I need to do that. Sorry that happened to you. You'll find that life still goes on though.
yeah, spare USB is a better idea, I've been considering a networked drive with scheduled backups but just haven't done it.
Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.Shaid is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
'Tis my eye!

Guys,

You can buy 4TB of storage in the size of a cigarette box for less than $100.

Don't use DVD's, USB flash drives, or anything like that.

Buy two external hard drives and use them both.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaid View Post
yeah, spare USB is a better idea, I've been considering a networked drive with scheduled backups but just haven't done it.
I used to have a NAS when I had a lot more machines to backup but now I just use external drives.

Of course, I'm on Mac so Time Machine does the heavy lifting for me.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
I'm worried I'll lose all my contacts stored on my phone if I drop it in the lake. How can I back that up???
Please tell me you don't have a flip phone still.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #14
"I'm with you fellers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
I know a place in Delaware that might be able to have a gander...
How much would it cost. I am willing to try, just not gonna drop $1000.00 for them to start and then $50.00 per hour plus parts. I would but I got kids in college man.
Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.Mr. Wizard would the whole thing.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Guys,

You can buy 4TB of storage in the size of a cigarette box for less than $100.

Don't use DVD's, USB flash drives, or anything like that.

Buy two external hard drives and use them both.
But a USB is the size of one cigarette.