Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-08-2024, 04:42 PM  
Andy Reid Supporter

Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed

What some of us have been wondering...

Quote:
HENDERSON, Nev. -- Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said he is aware of the challenge the organization faces in re-signing both defensive tackle Chris Jones and cornerback L'Jarius Sneed but said it would be an offseason priority to get both players under new contracts.

"Sometimes I look at our situation and I'm like, 'I don't know how we're going to do this,' but we usually work through things systematically and have a list of the priorities,'' Veach said as the Chiefs continued preparations for Super Bowl LVIII against the San Francisco 49ers. "Certainly, Chris and LJ are at the top of the list.

"It's extremely hard because you have two keystone players there.''

Jones, 29, has been one of the NFL's top pass-rushers for years. He had 10.5 sacks this season to tie for the team lead after missing training camp and the first regular-season game while holding out for a new contract.

He didn't get the extension he was looking for, but the Chiefs sweetened the final season of his existing contract.

"It was important for us to mend the fences with Chris because we love him and he's an iconic player here, not just here, but I mean of all time,'' Veach said. "That was important for us, and we'll continue to work hard and see if we can get something done, but it will be a priority for us.''

The Chiefs used Sneed, 27, this season to defend against the opponent's top receiver much of the time, and none had big games against him.

Jones and Sneed are key players for an improved Chiefs defense that allowed fewer points than all but one other team during the regular season and held the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills and Baltimore Ravens to 41 total points in the playoffs.

The Chiefs had defenses that were at times competitive since Patrick Mahomes became their starting quarterback in 2018, but rarely were they consistently so. Veach and the Chiefs found the task of building a top defense difficult because the past few seasons they were carrying Mahomes' massive contract.

"I still remember in '17 and '18 just saying if we can just get them to punt just once we've got a shot,'' Veach said. "Now all of a sudden it's like all we've got to do is just score once and we're good.

"Going from where we were in '17 and '18 to having one of the best defenses, knowing the constraints we had of just paying [Mahomes] and probably drafting later [in rounds], I don't think I ever envisioned having a top one or two defense.''
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-ljarius-sneed
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:32 PM   #1351
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
Sign Mooney to one year deal

Draft WR in either R1 or R2

That offense could get real tough to contend with in a hurry
Mooney is very affordable because the $$$ to pay him comes just from cutting MVS.

And I agree if we hit on a WR better than Rice in this draft our offense will be MUCH better.

I do think backup RB is a sneaky need as we are more dependent on Pacheco than some might think. Call Pollard and see what he wants there.
MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:39 PM   #1352
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic View Post
Mooney is very affordable because the $$$ to pay him comes just from cutting MVS.

And I agree if we hit on a WR better than Rice in this draft our offense will be MUCH better.

I do think backup RB is a sneaky need as we are more dependent on Pacheco than some might think. Call Pollard and see what he wants there.
This qualifier is odd.

We need to hit on a WR "better" than Rice to be much better?

Again, your expectations are just way too high.

Rice is your WR1 next year. Just accept it now.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:45 PM   #1353
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
This qualifier is odd.

Need a WR better than the WR that broke the Chiefs rookie WR records
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:38 PM
Chris Meck
This message has been deleted by Chris Meck.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:40 PM   #1354
MVP

Quote:
This qualifier is odd.

Yeah, Mooney and a top 64 pick, and you're probably good. Especially if it allows you to keep the defense together.

Mooney had over 1000 yards, in this offense, under Nagy. No learning curve.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:53 PM   #1355
Generational Player

Quote:
This qualifier is odd.

You might have missed the playoffs where our offense with Rice and Kelce playing as a HOF unicorn (which he did not during the regular season)

went 16 or 17 drives without a TD in the AFC Championship and SB.

The goal is not to beat shit defenses like the Bills but score lots of points against the cream of the crop.

So yeah, I want more. Especially since we have only drafted 1 good WR in the last 6 years.

And what's wrong with aiming high? We are the Chiefs.

Excellence should be EXPECTED.
MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:53 PM   #1356
pie is never free

Quote:
I think I am leaning option #1 but I don't think any of them are bad...
I just can't get down with letting a young, just now hitting prime Sneed go in any scenario... his stats this year were amazeballs, Sneed Island level stats

At this point I'm operating from the position that we somehow by hook or crook keep both of them... the caps going up, we'll get some restructures here and there, and Jones will hopefully see the value in legacy over the almighty top dollar

But if anyone absolutely has to go, its 30 year old Jones IMO

It sucks, but thats how it has to be... or maybe not, we'll see
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:54 PM   #1357
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
Yeah, Mooney and a top 64 pick, and you're probably good. Especially if it allows you to keep the defense together.

Mooney had over 1000 yards, in this offense, under Nagy. No learning curve.
Mooney and another Skyy Moore doesn't do enough for me.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:03 PM   #1358
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Mooney and another Skyy Moore doesn't do enough for me.
The odds of another Skyy Moore, especially in this year’s class, are extremely low
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:10 PM   #1359
Generational Player

Quote:
The odds of another Skyy Moore, especially in this year’s class, are extremely low
Let's not get too cocky because we finally hit on one WR in 6 years.

I would say the chances of missing on WR are pretty high.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:26 PM   #1360
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Let's not get too cocky because we finally hit on one WR in 6 years.

I would say the chances of missing on WR are pretty high.
It’s looked at as the best WR class since at least 2020 and maybe even 2014. You’re getting typical year R1 talent throughout the 2nd round too.

Moore is really the only miss Veach has. Hardman, for where he was picked, was a solid choice. Rice is a home run.

I trust the team that has drafted better than anyone relative to their slot for the past three years.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:27 PM   #1361
Generational Player

Quote:
It’s looked at as the best WR class since at least 2020 and maybe even 2014. You’re getting typical year R1 talent throughout the 2nd round too.

Moore is really the only miss Veach has. Hardman, for where he was picked, was a solid choice. Rice is a home run.

I trust the team that has drafted better than anyone relative to their slot for the past three years.
Well, in the draft forum I was told by people that we would not get a WR better than Rice or Jayden Reed who were 2nd round picks in last year's WR class and to not even dream of a Zay Flowers or a Jordan Addison.

Hardman was a HUGE miss when 3 WR's who have operated as #1 WR's for their respective teams were taken after him.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #1362
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

Quote:
Sign Mooney to one year deal

Draft WR in either R1 or R2

That offense could get real tough to contend with in a hurry
I'll take him, Hollywood or Pittman + round 1 WR and roll with it anyday.

Or swing for the fences for Aiyuk + a late round receiver.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:38 PM   #1363
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:

Hardman had 16 TD's in his rookie contract. He also had a couple ST's returns and closed out 2 games for us this year. That's by no means a "miss".

As for the draft, I don't think the Chiefs want any part of a relying on a rookie WR again, even though Rice was excellent as the year went on. I think they grab a solid vet like Mooney and bring back Hardman to go with Watson as depth. Keep the continuity while adding more talent.

I still think the 2nd rd will have some really good value receivers available
Old 02-24-2024, 06:57 PM   #1364
Hello

There are going to be good OT options around our pick or a slight trade up. Wouldn’t be a bad idea. And at SOME point we’re going to have to start drafting DT’s.
Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:23 PM   #1365
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Hardman was putting together a nice little contract year before the core injury in 2022, which people forget because he wasn’t really used the rest of that season. But he’s not chopped liver and plays a damn nice role within KC’s scheme.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote