Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2019, 12:40 PM  
In Search of a Life

Tell me about some of your fave ‘Yacht Rock’ songs or bands

Been digging on some Yacht Rock lately. Was a little to young to appreciate it back in the day. What are some of your faves?

Stuff like:

Michael McDonald.
Christopher Cross.
Steely Dan.
Loggins & Messina.
The Doobie Brothers.
Kenny Loggins.
Hall & Oates.
Toto.

Etc.....
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #121
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarus View Post
Gotta love some Stevie Winwood. I love yacht rock. Don't know why. Probably because my dad always jammed to it in the car when I was a kid.
Is your dad my mom?
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #122
Supporter

I think this one qualifies.

TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #123
Ultrabanned

Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #124
Go Beavers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post

Did you know Jay Ferguson was the lead singer for the band Spirit, the band Led Zeppelin stole the guitar part for "Stairway to Heaven" from?

Edit: He was "one" of the lead singers for Spirit. The other was Randy California.

They had their own yacht rock song, too.

Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #125
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Did you know Jay Ferguson was the lead singer for the band Spirit, the band Led Zeppelin stole the guitar part for "Stairway to Heaven" from?

Edit: He was "one" of the lead singers for Spirit. The other was Randy California.

They had their own yacht rock song, too.

did you know that Randy California apprenticed with Jimi Hendrix? I saw Spirit in concert in San Antonio in 1980 or 81. Put on a really good show.
RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #126
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I predict this song shows up in Guardians of the Galaxy III
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #127
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I will say I've never in my life heard the term "yacht rock" before.

I would just call these songs 70s soft rock.
Soft Rock and Yacht Rock are the same thing. One just sounds less boring.

Would you rather be on a yacht or in an elevator?
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #128
In Search of a Life

Btw Commodores is technically R&B (because they're black) but belong with yacht rock imo.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #129
MVP

Yacht?
Jimmy Buffett, but I’m kinda redneck.
Sec
seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.seclark is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #130
In Search of a Life

Yacht Rock definition from Wiki

Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast Sound[3][4] or adult-oriented rock[5]) is a broad music style and aesthetic[6] identified with soft rock.[7] It was one of the commercially successful genres of its era, existing between the mid-1970s and early 1980s.[8] Drawing on sources such as smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, funk, and disco,[6] common stylistic traits include high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on light, catchy melodies.[5] Its name, coined in 2005 by the makers of the online video series Yacht Rock, was derived from its association with the popular Southern Californian leisure activity of sailing.
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #131
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Yacht Rock definition from Wiki

Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast Sound[3][4] or adult-oriented rock[5]) is a broad music style and aesthetic[6] identified with soft rock.[7] It was one of the commercially successful genres of its era, existing between the mid-1970s and early 1980s.[8] Drawing on sources such as smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, funk, and disco,[6] common stylistic traits include high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on light, catchy melodies.[5] Its name, coined in 2005 by the makers of the online video series Yacht Rock, was derived from its association with the popular Southern Californian leisure activity of sailing.
Seems like their marketing ploy sort of failed, based on how many people in this thread had never heard of the term. This shit is right in my wheelhouse.

I don't associate yachts with music. I associate them with rich people and the sea.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #132
left blank intentionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
He was even better when we was in The Raspberries.

My fave YachtRock jams :

Late 60s/Early 70s Beach Boys ("Never Learn Not to Love", "Sail On, Sailor", duh)

Early/Mid 70s Fleetwood Mac with Bob Welch ("Future Games", "Sentimental Lady", "Emerald Eyes", "Why?", "Hypnotized", "Spare Me A Little of Your Love")
No one? At all??
rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #133
In Search of a Life

I'm a huge fan of the Yacht Rock station on Sirius XM. Many of the songs listed here are not played on that station. Two of my favorite that are not listed here are:

Robert Palmer's "Every Kinda People", and
Dan Fogelberg's "Heart Hotels"

Question for Sirius XM'ers. Why can you get stations like Yacht Rock all year long on a computer, but only from Memorial Day to Labor Day on the vehicle version of Sirius? Seems like it should be easy to have the same set up on both cars/trucks as on a computer?
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #134
21st Century Schizoid Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs View Post
I'm a huge fan of the Yacht Rock station on Sirius XM. Many of the songs listed here are not played on that station. Two of my favorite that are not listed here are:

Robert Palmer's "Every Kinda People", and
Dan Fogelberg's "Heart Hotels"

Question for Sirius XM'ers. Why can you get stations like Yacht Rock all year long on a computer, but only from Memorial Day to Labor Day on the vehicle version of Sirius? Seems like it should be easy to have the same set up on both cars/trucks as on a computer?
Two thumbs up on both!
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:22 AM   #135
Curmudgeon

It was 1982 and the Doobie Brothers were on one of their many "farewell tours". They were going to play Starlight, so 2 of my buddies and I bought tickets for ourselves and our wives. It's a long story how, but we wound up with seats 6 rows back, stage right. It was a beautiful summer night and our ladies were thrilled as they all had massive crushes on Michael McDondald. The air was thick with uuhhh---, you all know what it was thick with. The only thing that marred the evening was that my wife and my best friend's wife were extremely pregnant, 8 months and couldn't dance well. But that didn't stop their hormones raging and at least I was the very lucky beneficiary of that later that night.
oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.