Woodyard 6 5.26%
Smokehouse 5 4.39%
My Mom's house 5 4.39%
Gaz's house 3 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2023, 11:03 AM  
The Lurkiest

KC Bbq Tour

It looks like I Cassel'd my other thread so spin off here we go.

Your favorite Q and any recommendations therein.

This is my first poll I have attempted and the poll options were compiled off of a couple of online lists, so be gentle use lube and don't forget the reach around.
Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:18 PM   #76
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Of the BBQ joints listed, I made 3 picks. I had to laugh that BB's was on the list among others. NO LC's or Zarda hell they are better than 2/3rds of the list. I understand the out of towners but locals? Maybe get out a bit farther than a few square miles. That list looks like a Yelp top 20.

Harps who I love is just so questionable because you never know if they will be open or if they will have already sold out of what you had your sights set on. If you hit it right its hard to beat.

That no one knows of Scotts Kitchen near MCI is also telling.
Scott’s is just too damn far away. No reason to make a special trip up there when I have to pass tons of quality places along the way. Only time I ever get up there is before a flight. Also doesn’t help that Scott is kind of a douche.
Third Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 12-06-2023, 09:21 PM   #77
For The Glory Of The City

Agree with Third...Scott's is just "fine" no reason to make a special trip.
|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:22 PM   #78
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Of the BBQ joints listed, I made 3 picks. I had to laugh that BB's was on the list among others. NO LC's or Zarda hell they are better than 2/3rds of the list. I understand the out of towners but locals? Maybe get out a bit farther than a few square miles. That list looks like a Yelp top 20.

Harps who I love is just so questionable because you never know if they will be open or if they will have already sold out of what you had your sights set on. If you hit it right its hard to beat.

That no one knows of Scotts Kitchen near MCI is also telling.
When in KC, I still occasionally get a Zarda sliced beef sandwich with original sauce. I had a lot of those as a kid and still like them. Don't know much about the rest of their menu.

Never got into spicy hot BBQ sauce. For something like Thai food, sure. But for BBQ sauce, prefer smokey/tangy with only enough heat to cut the sweetness.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:23 PM   #79
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye View Post
Scott’s is just too damn far away. No reason to make a special trip up there when I have to pass tons of quality places along the way. Only time I ever get up there is before a flight. Also doesn’t help that Scott is kind of a douche.
Name the quality places you pass that deter you from a 15-mile trip up an interstate from JoCo.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:31 PM   #80
Veteran

Quote:
Name the quality places you pass that deter you from a 15-mile trip up an interstate from JoCo.
I live at 119th and Antioch, not even deep JoCo. It’s a 35 minute drive right now even when the highway is dead. I can literally get to every other decent BBQ joint in and around the city more quickly and with less miles. They are also only open until 6:30 during the week and closed on weekends. I would have to leave my house right in the middle of rush hour, be on the highway for an hour, and I’d be that asshole who walks in 5 minutes before they close. I’m good without all that.
Third Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 12-06-2023, 09:32 PM   #81
My work speaks for itself!!!

I know it’s nostalgia for me, but I grew up on Hayward’s.

While it is hit and miss, I love jack stack burnt ends.

Of course, I live in Cali now, and bbq here is a travesty
DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #82
Seeking the Truth daily

Porkys Blazin BBQ Grain Valley is class eats that is far and above the high brow polished up BBQ that get raves for run of the mill decent ribs and badly done burnt ends.
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #83
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
When in KC, I still occasionally get a Zarda sliced beef sandwich with original sauce. I had a lot of those as a kid and still like them. Don't know much about the rest of their menu.

Never got into spicy hot BBQ sauce. For something like Thai food, sure. But for BBQ sauce, prefer smokey/tangy with only enough heat to cut the sweetness.
Most BBB joints in KC only offered a sweet tangy BBQ sauce that changed 10 to 15 years ago as people's tastes changed. I never was a hothead in my younger years. That changed as I aged and and sense of taste dulled. The biggest change was with the young ones who got accustomed to hot and spicy from fast food chains. Even school menus changed with spicier entrees.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #84
For The Glory Of The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan View Post
Porkys Blazin BBQ Grain Valley is class eats that is far and above the high brow polished up BBQ that get raves for run of the mill decent ribs and badly done burnt ends.
Never heard of it I will have to give that a try.
|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:51 PM   #85
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye View Post
I live at 119th and Antioch, not even deep JoCo. It’s a 35 minute drive right now even when the highway is dead. I can literally get to every other decent BBQ joint in and around the city more quickly and with less miles. They are also only open until 6:30 during the week and closed on weekends. I would have to leave my house right in the middle of rush hour, be on the highway for an hour, and I’d be that asshole who walks in 5 minutes before they close. I’m good without all that.
How do you know you're getting decent bbq when you limit like that. I know you are happy with what you are eating and makes you happy but are you never curious if you are missing something?

I live in the Northland but as a in town land surveyor whose office was in midtown and worked all over greater KC and out of so-called towns all over Missouri and Kansas. Well I will just say I discovered things. When we branched out and I joined the pipeline circuit I discovered places all over the country. I love a lot of types of food but realize we are pretty lucky in Missouri and Kansas with the variety.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:08 PM   #86
The Lurkiest

Quote:
Of the BBQ joints listed, I made 3 picks. I had to laugh that BB's was on the list among others. NO LC's or Zarda hell they are better than 2/3rds of the list. I understand the out of towners but locals? Maybe get out a bit farther than a few square miles. That list looks like a Yelp top 20
Haha that is essentially what it is. I took 2 lists of best KC BBQ and blended them. I really don't know KC Bbq everytime I come to town my cousins husband takes me to gates. I wanted to try some new ones and use a little local knowledge
Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.Boise_Chief would the whole thing.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:29 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJasonp View Post

Hayward's is currently pretty close to my Mom's house.

I've hit a bunch of different places for their ribs, and as I've whined above many are too tender for my tastes.

I get a full slab of Hayward's ribs to go and they are pretty good. The small end can be a bit tough, but it's hard to do the entire rack and I like how the rest of them come out. For me anyway they hit they hit the sweet spot. For the price and convenience and nothing pretentious.

You can sometimes get okay pulled pork and Asian BBQ is interesting but I feel your pain.

Last edited by Chief Pagan; 12-06-2023 at 11:36 PM..
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:33 PM   #88

Quote:
Most BBB joints in KC only offered a sweet tangy BBQ sauce that changed 10 to 15 years ago as people's tastes changed. I never was a hothead in my younger years. That changed as I aged and and sense of taste dulled. The biggest change was with the young ones who got accustomed to hot and spicy from fast food chains. Even school menus changed with spicier entrees.
Well most places now offer multiple choices including one or more hot. I guess I would be curious if the 'original' sauce at most places changed.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:35 PM   #89
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJasonp View Post

Hayward was great a good man. He trained more Pittmasters who stabbed him in the back and moved on to other well-known BBQ joints. I am sure he was impossible to work with and paid little. His place on State Avenue between I 635 and 435 was always excellent when we worked out that way surveying the lands the became the race track and Village West.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:50 PM   #90
Fight, build, win!

Jousting Pigs is an example of an excellent BBQ that didn't make it because the owner had too many irons in the fire. He was more interested in tournament queuing and his sauces and rubs. A lot like Smoking Guns in NKC it could be excellent one week and dogshit the next. Another Q circuit who won a lot of awards but couldn't keep up a restaurant.