Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2017, 11:06 AM  
Mod Team

***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***

We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #601
It was not a fair catch

If you don't need fertilizer, I do a spot spray with 24D
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #602
Cheat Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
If you don't need fertilizer, I do a spot spray with 24D
Looks like 24D will take care of my needs.

Do you mix or just go with the ready spray? Results seem to be all over the place in reviews.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #603
Custom User Title

Dont do the pre mixed box store stuff. Yeah it'll work. Usually with two apps. But can get a concentrate from farm store that will get you 3x your money. As long as you can read the label and measure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #604
Custom User Title

I keep a hand sprayer filled with Three Way from Lesco. Kills just about anything that will pop up in my yard. Outside of nutsedge and crab.

Pre emergent is the best course of action though. Properly timed though.
Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #605
It was not a fair catch

agree with kstater on both.

I have never timed pre-emerge right.

I did give up doing the fert/weed kill myself. I hired it out. But still have 24D and roundup on hand for small applications.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #606
Supporter

I've got two hand sprayers, one for 24D and the other for Brush killer which kills everything like Roundup. Cheaper though. I have tried different 24D's through the years. One isn't necessarily like the other if you read the ingredients. The chemical concoctions are different. Here one of the toughest broadleaf's to kill is 3 leaf clover. The best I've found for that is Gordon's Trimec.

Right now the problem is the drought we're going through. Bone dry here. We're over 4 inches short of our annual rainfall. I tried keeping up with my rain train but have given up. There are parts of my yard so dry it sounds like you're crushing shells on the beach when you walk over it.
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #607
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
I've got two hand sprayers, one for 24D and the other for Brush killer which kills everything like Roundup. Cheaper though. I have tried different 24D's through the years. One isn't necessarily like the other if you read the ingredients. The chemical concoctions are different. Here one of the toughest broadleaf's to kill is 3 leaf clover. The best I've found for that is Gordon's Trimec.

Right now the problem is the drought we're going through. Bone dry here. We're over 4 inches short of our annual rainfall. I tried keeping up with my rain train but have given up. There are parts of my yard so dry it sounds like you're crushing shells on the beach when you walk over it.
Trimec is good on Creeping Charlie early in the spring and late in the fall.

I have used spectracide 24D. Thought it was great.

I always tell the story of when dad would take the leftover Roundup and mix it with the leftover 24D. Sprayed it on fence rows. Sure the weeds did not know if they should grow fast or die.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:34 PM   #608
It was not a fair catch

I had some weird grass in my yard. It would not die with 24D and the yard guy could not kill it. So I used a foam brush and wiped it with Roundup
Old 06-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #609
Supporter

Quote:

Only 4 inches? I looked at the drought monitor and you’d think it hasn’t rained there since the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Trimec is good shit. I think it has some dicamba in it.

If you’re running 2-4D just be sure you get an amine formulation not an ester. Ester will volatilize and nuke your trees.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:11 AM   #610
MVP

I have an area behind my garage where I put down a weed barrier and filled in with river rock. I keep getting grass or grass like weed growing there and can’t manage to completely kill it with stuff like ortho ground clear. Anything better that I can try that isn’t so hardcore it messes with my trees in the same area?
Miles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 06-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #611
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Only 4 inches? I looked at the drought monitor and you’d think it hasn’t rained there since the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Trimec is good shit. I think it has some dicamba in it.

If you’re running 2-4D just be sure you get an amine formulation not an ester. Ester will volatilize and nuke your trees.
That was on June 1. I've had .26 since. I just checked the average June rainfall for my area and it's 4.1 inches. Not going to come close. Crops showing stress already and it isn't even summer.
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #612
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
I had some weird grass in my yard. It would not die with 24D and the yard guy could not kill it. So I used a foam brush and wiped it with Roundup
Lengthy but resourceful process.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #613
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I have an area behind my garage where I put down a weed barrier and filled in with river rock. I keep getting grass or grass like weed growing there and can’t manage to completely kill it with stuff like ortho ground clear. Anything better that I can try that isn’t so hardcore it messes with my trees in the same area?
The chemical I use to kill anything it hits specifically warns about root uptake by other plants. So I only use it for fence lines and the gravel driveway.

I'd read the warning label on anything else you pick out.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #614
Cheat Death

Swung by my local Tractor Supply for some Gordon's Amine 400...j/k its coming Amazon Prime.

Thanks for all the responses. Lawn was laid new from sod last year, so easy peazy, or so I thought. Not sure if its my learning curve on weed control, the drought, or some combo of both, but I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack seeing them popping up in my lawn.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #615
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Lengthy but resourceful process.
Just wanted to kill the bad grass. Not the good grass. Figured it was worth a shot.

If not, I can cut it out and replace it with sod in the fall or spring.

The hardest part is bending over my mt. dew gut.