Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM  
Veteran

My wife brought a puppy home.

Ok so my wife brought home a new heeler Australian puppy while we currently have a six month old baby, and a 7 year old son.. I just don’t know how I feel about it. We’ve had him for almost a week and he seems like a good dog and trainable, the research I’ve done on this breed is they are loyal, family oriented but require training and a lot of activity…

My cons:

He’s biting a lot, not hard but it’s enough to where he made our baby cry and ripped up some of our couch and my wife’s night gown. (This is my biggest con as baby comes as #1)

Along with having what is practically a new born, I’ll now have to spend my time training this puppy for months/years.

Long trips are now difficult as we will need to secure either a dog sitter or spend hundreds on a dog hotel.

My wife despite bringing the dog home now has had a change of heart and wants the dog gone.

My Pro’s

My kids get a dog and that’s always awesome for kids and teaches responsibility.

If I could choose a dog years from now it would be this one as he’s already showing signs of being trainable and has already started going outside for restroom breaks. All around seems like a good dog but im not sure if that’s just the breed?

I’ve become attached as has my son.

We’ve found a friend that will take the dog, big yard nice people, I’m just a pet guy and have become attached and just want to know what some of you guys would do in this situation or you older guys what you did do.
TripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Today, 12:58 AM   #46
Veteran

And if I can just say this for the dog lovers and dog experts out there. He’s next to me right now, being the little shit that he is, but he keeps snapping at me (angel last 2 hours) but now he wants to bite my dick and sofa let alone anything else his eyes notice, so my immediate reflex which I’m doing is closing his mouth, shutting his jaw but at the same time im telling the family “I’m doing this wrong” because everything tells me im not supposed to do this this/that. So again, any response is appreciated
TripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTripleThreat 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #47
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx View Post
A heeler can be one of the best dogs you will ever have but they need training. I had one in the past and have a Heeler mix now.

First thing to do is decide whether or not you want to put the effort into making the dog work for you guys. If you don't then just find a good home for the dog and wash your hands of the whole thing.

If you decide to keep the dog (this info is based on how hessistant you seem to be around the dog):

* get it up to date on vaccinations and spay/neuter

* find a puppy socialization class which is basically puppy pre-school where they learn to interact with other dogs and people appropriately. from there start looking for an obedience class once they become old enough. after that there are even sports that you. the kids, and the dog can participate in such as flyball... at which heelers tend to be fantastic.

* come to terms that you have a dog specifically bred to nip at the heels (thus Heeler) of livestock (my Louie does a good job and he loves his goats) and it is gonna be a bit of a chore to break them of that when it comes to the kids.

* you are gonna need to have a conversation with the 7 year old and let him know he has to help train the dog. if the dog comes up and nips... whomever is nipped should let out a sharp and loud pain squeak/noise. puppies communicate to one another that play is too rough with those types of noises. Gotta speak their language. Follow up the pain noise with a firm, but gentle, *NO*. heavily praise the dog when it is playing appropriately.

* whomever the dog bonds with the most in the family is going to be the one most likely to have success in training it and should be the person to introduce the dog to the baby. make a big show, especially with a puppy, expressing care and love for the baby. the dog will pick up on the fact that it is important to the person and will likely become very protective of it.

If you aren't willing to do the above listed things... best thing for everyone is for the dog to get a new home.
Thank you. Not much to reply to because such good info, so / but thank you
Old Today, 01:11 AM   #48
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
You're not taking any long trips, at least not overseas.

You can take the dog with you in the car for vacations, it is very possible to do this and have a lot of fun.

If overseas vacations or the money to the board the dog are more valuable to you than the dog, make that choice.
The Rover app is great for oversea trips. We have 3 dogs and when we went to Italy recently we had someone watch our house and dogs.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #49
The Guy With The Goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
And if I can just say this for the dog lovers and dog experts out there. He’s next to me right now, being the little shit that he is, but he keeps snapping at me (angel last 2 hours) but now he wants to bite my dick and sofa let alone anything else his eyes notice, so my immediate reflex which I’m doing is closing his mouth, shutting his jaw but at the same time im telling the family “I’m doing this wrong” because everything tells me im not supposed to do this this/that. So again, any response is appreciated
Louie ate the floor trim at the top of the stairs. I thought about fixing it up but now it makes me smile and think of when he was a pup.

I forgot to mention. Chew toys. Definitely get chew toys. I don’t suggest squeakers in toys unless you want impromptu, and unceasing, wind instrument concerts at all hours of the day. Kong makes great long lasting toys and chew toys.
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 01:46 AM   #50
Don't Be A Dick

Quote:
Perhaps you should try bonding with said dog with your dick stowed away.
J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #51
King Shit of **** Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx View Post
Louie ate the floor trim at the top of the stairs. I thought about fixing it up but now it makes me smile and think of when he was a pup.

I forgot to mention. Chew toys. Definitely get chew toys. I don’t suggest squeakers in toys unless you want impromptu, and unceasing, wind instrument concerts at all hours of the day. Kong makes great long lasting toys and chew toys.
At the insistence of a girlfriend's daughters, I once got a chihuahua that I carried home in my shirt pocket. (Wonderful dog for 12 years, BTW.) She wasn't a bad chewer, but I decided she needed a toy. She loved Valentino the Bear, even though he was almost as big as she was. They were almost inseparable.

Then one day, after that relationship had ended and my chihuahua and I had moved on with life, a nice lady was visiting the house and asked why my 4 pound dog had a $1500 chew toy.
Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 05:34 AM   #52
Going home eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Call Michael Vick or Kristi Noem.
Vick paid for his crimes. Let it go.
Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:34 AM   #53
Going home eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Call Michael Vick or Kristi Noem.
Vick paid for his crimes. Let it go.
Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:12 AM   #54
Supporter

Quote:
He might be tired. If he’s been good and is now being all over the place he’s either tired or has pent up energy. Try a toy and if he doesn’t shape up put him in the kennel and make him go to bed.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #55
SuperChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonpenz View Post
Sounds like a bitch
The wife or the dog?
FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #56
MVP

The male heart is a slut, to a wiggling butt
Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.Rainbarrel wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #57
Veteran

Get rid of the dog. Your wife is tired of it and so are you. The dog is going to create problems. You have a family that can care for it better than you can. It’s better for the dog and for you for the dog to be gone. You might try fostering dogs. We have a non profit here that gets adoptable dogs from the pound before they get killed and homes keep these dogs like foster parents until they are adopted, so it’s short term. Getting another dog is easy and there are options to help your son understand it but with a new baby and an emotional wife, you need to get rid of that dog. When the baby is bigger, get a dog then when you have time for it. You need to save all your patience for your family and I can feel the fatigue that the dog is causing. Get rid of it.

Quote:
kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.