Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 PM  
Feloniously Restrained

I NEED HELP!!! ARRGHHH!

I was in a home improvement mood today when I went to Lowes. I purchased, among other things, a new doorbell button. My previous doorbell button had actually fallen out, but you could still push the springs and the thing would ring.

Well, when I unscrewed the old button unit, I carefully took note that there were four wires, red, black, green, and yellow, however, only the black and red wires were hooked to the old unit. One on each side.

So, when I installed the new unit, of course it doesn't work.
Now I am wondering what I did wrong. Any ideas?
Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #31
Wheeeeee!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYC75
put the batteries in and mount it !
Must ... resist ... making .... rude ... comment ...
4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #32
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Sure, except a switch is semi-permanent. Flip on, stays on. Flip off, stays off.

But my point was, it's non-directional, so changing leads 1-for-1 isn't gonna change anything.
A door chime is a "momentary switch." Gotcha.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #33
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyGump
What kind of language is this? Manspeak?
I know you are a feminist, and I think that is adorable! But, this is grown-up time now, and there are males around.

Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:21 PM   #34
Supporter

Where did Jenny go? I wasn't through making fun of her.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #35
Feloniously Restrained

Ok. At the risk of more "equipped with vagina=low IQ" comments, if a fuse had been blown, would anything else in the house be affected?
Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #36
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Ok. At the risk of more "equipped with vagina=low IQ" comments, if a fuse had been blown, would anything else in the house be affected?
Probably. Do you have breakers or fuses?
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #37
Wheeeeee!!!

Quote:
Depends on what the fuse is connected to but most likey, yes. I mean, what kind of idiot rigs a doorbell to it's own fuse?
4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.4th and Long threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #38
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Probablly. Depends on what is hooked into the circuit with that fuse.

And nobody here thinks your vagina has a low IQ. Well, most of us, anyway.
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #39
Supporter

Quote:
Possibly, but not necessarily. Go to the fuse/breaker box and see if any of the switches are facing the opposite way from the rest. Also, look and see if they are labelled.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:29 PM   #40
fides quaerens intellectum

Quote:
You know what? Screw you. My car also broke down in the middle of 5:00 traffic on a busy street today. My brake caliper bolt broke, and my car "locked up". I have had a crappy, crappy, day. The only thing you have to worry about is who is going to pull up your TED hose (medical types will appreciate that one). I am a brave independent woman who isn't afraid to take on the world!

(realizing I truly need a man around occasionally, I am shutting up now)
I can fix doorbells.
Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Jenson71 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #41
Feloniously Restrained

I appreciate all the help. I could call my dad. He is an electrician, however, that would mean him rushing over to check on things. I can do without that.

I appreciate all of the comments. Except for Skip and Endelt. You guys suck.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:36 PM   #42
**** the Raiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th and Long
Depends on what the fuse is connected to but most likey, yes. I mean, what kind of idiot rigs a doorbell to it's own fuse?

Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee
1. How many wires come out of the house itself?
2. What do the instructions for the new button say each wire on it corresponds to?

I'm guessing that, if you have four wires on the new button, it probably lights up.
You only need two wires for a doorbell, reguardless if it's lighted or not. I'm not an electrician, HOWEVER I have installed a few doorbells and never saw any of them with four wires (normally two wires of the same color).
Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #44
Supporter

Quote:
I appreciate all the help. I could call my dad. He is an electrician, however, that would mean him rushing over to check on things. I can do without that.

I appreciate all of the comments. Except for Skip and Endelt. You guys suck.
Ahh...you know you like it.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #45
Veteran

Quote:
I was in a home improvement mood today when I went to Lowes. I purchased, among other things, a new doorbell button. My previous doorbell button had actually fallen out, but you could still push the springs and the thing would ring.

Well, when I unscrewed the old button unit, I carefully took note that there were four wires, red, black, green, and yellow, however, only the black and red wires were hooked to the old unit. One on each side.

So, when I installed the new unit, of course it doesn't work.
Now I am wondering what I did wrong. Any ideas?

Hmmmmmmm......red, black, green, and yellow, huh? Sounds to me like you're installing a doorbell to your phone jack. Try that little button by the front door instead....

Seriously though, all you need is two of the wires. Check to make sure a breaker hasn't tripped, then try the same two wires you started with. You can't install them backwards, so don't worry about which wire goes to which side. As long as you have the two wires to complete the circuit is all that matters.
Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefaholic is obviously part of the inner Circle.