Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 PM  
In Search of a Life

Another Dune movie in the works

Give it up already. Some things just weren't meant to be made into movies.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/directo...nvisions-a.php
Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel Dune—which spawned five sequels in Herbert's lifetime and prequels after his death—has been problematic for filmmakers, but that's not stopping director Peter Berg from developing a new movie he plans to direct.

Director David Lynch famously had problems adapting the sprawling book in 1984. Syfy's 2000 miniseries adaptation did a bit better in terms of audience and critical reception, but Berg feels there's still room for a new feature film.

"I think I had a much more different experience, I think, with the book than David Lynch did," Berg said in an exclusive interview on last week at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Pasadena, Calif., where he was promoting his Wayne Gretzky documentary for ESPN. "To me, I think my interpretation will feel significantly different from that and the [Syfy] Channel miniseries that aired. I have a different experience than both of those filmmakers did."

Lynch's film focused in part on the politics of the feuding houses of Herbert's novel, who contend while trying to control the flow of melange, the spice that facilitates space travel, which is found only on the desert planet of Arrakis.

Berg sees the story more as an epic adventure. "[The book] was much more muscular and adventurous, more violent and possibly even a little bit more fun," Berg said. "I think those are all elements of my experience of the book that can be brought in without offending the die-hard fans of the Bene Gesserit and Kwisatz Haderach. There's a more dynamic film to be made."

Before Berg can direct, a filmable Dune script just has to be finished within Berg's scheduling parameters. "I'm finishing this [documentary] now, we're editing it now," he said. "I think it's going to be in the Toronto Film Festival. [I'm] working now on getting Friday Night Lights up for the new season and getting Dune up and running. I'm working all the time."
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #31
Banned

I will go on record here and now saying this will be quickly forgotten.

By that I mean it won't be very good-- it's going to be 'The Last Jedi' bad. No one will care about this movie weeks after it is released.
RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.RN47 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #32
oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Well, I say Kynes shouldn't be a woman because HERBERT DIDN'T WRITE HIM AS A ****ING WOMAN. A minor point on a fairly minor character? I guess. But it just makes me wonder what other changes will be made to makes the SJW types happy. Apparently the Reverend Mother, Jessica, Chani, Irulan, Alia and the entire Bene Gesserit weren't enough for them.
This is just a guess, but since it's broken into two films, my suspicion is that Alia and Irulan won't appear at all in the first movie and the Reverend Mother will have the obvious role at the beginning and then not appear again. And I wouldn't expect to see other Bene Gesseri in the first movie, either. Meaning there might only be Jessica and Chani (a relatively late arrival, probably...) balanced against Paul and Leto and Gurney and Duncan and Thufir and Yueh and Vladimir and Piter and Rabban and Feyd-Rautha. So it may not have anything to do with "SJW", but rather be "looking at this first script, it looks like we've got 90 male characters and 6 female characters, should we tweak something?"
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #33
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
I will go on record here and now saying this will be quickly forgotten.

By that I mean it won't be very good-- it's going to be 'The Last Jedi' bad. No one will care about this movie weeks after it is released.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Especially today, when producers/directors are more interested in beating us over the head with their virtue-signalling, big special effects and the like, than they are concerned with good story-telling, good writing, or getting the best people for the parts.

Just like the last Star Wars movies.

So I have no expectations that this movie will be good in any way.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #34
You gotta kill a few people

The ebook is on sale on Amazon for $2.

I personally don't like to read space sci-fi or sci-fi with guns. I'm more into the sword and sorcery type of stuff like Game of Thrones, Stormlight Archives, etc.

Would this series interest me?
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #35
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post

I personally don't like to read space sci-fi or sci-fi with guns. I'm more into the sword and sorcery type of stuff like Game of Thrones, Stormlight Archives, etc.

It's definitely closer to the series you listed than something like Star Wars. Still sci fi but different.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ShiftyEyedWaterboy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #36
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:

Assuming the eBook is the same thing as the original book, so far as guns go, it's kind of half and half. The Fremen are knife-fighters that occasionally use guns, mostly against vehicles and fortifications, I guess. They mostly kill people with knives.

Dune is not a typical sci-fi book. In fact, it's kind of a mix of sci-fi and fantasy. You have a certain kind of drug-induced magic, feudalism, dragons of a sort, plus faster-than-light travel, space-going warships, energy weapons, etc.

The one problem with Dune in the first movie was that so much of the book occurs in the character's minds, something I'm not sure can be fixed. So a lot of the movie was the characters thinking "out loud." in the book this is fine, in a movie it can be ridiculous.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #37
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
This is just a guess, but since it's broken into two films, my suspicion is that Alia and Irulan won't appear at all in the first movie and the Reverend Mother will have the obvious role at the beginning and then not appear again. And I wouldn't expect to see other Bene Gesseri in the first movie, either. Meaning there might only be Jessica and Chani (a relatively late arrival, probably...) balanced against Paul and Leto and Gurney and Duncan and Thufir and Yueh and Vladimir and Piter and Rabban and Feyd-Rautha. So it may not have anything to do with "SJW", but rather be "looking at this first script, it looks like we've got 90 male characters and 6 female characters, should we tweak something?"
Dune shouldn't be tweaked.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #38
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:

Dune is, at its heart, a story of retribution and the journey of personal discovery of the main character. It is set in the distant future, but there is very little sci-fi type action in it. There are no big space battles. As Megatron mentioned, almost all of the fighting is hand-to-hand. Politics and religion play far bigger roles in the story than advanced technology.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #39
oxymoron

Quote:
Dune shouldn't be tweaked.
I'm sure the 5 minutes that Kynes is in the movie will completely ruin it.

It's not like they're swapping Dirk Benedict for Katee Sackhoff or something.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #40
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
I'm sure the 5 minutes that Kynes is in the movie will completely ruin it.

It's not like they're swapping Dirk Benedict for Katee Sackhoff or something.
Are you really comparing the greatest science fiction novel of all time to a cheesy 70s TV rip off of Star Wars?
Old 04-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #41
oxymoron

Quote:
Dune is, at its heart, a story of retribution and the journey of personal discovery of the main character. It is set in the distant future, but there is very little sci-fi type action in it. There are no big space battles. As Megatron mentioned, almost all of the fighting is hand-to-hand. Politics and religion play far bigger roles in the story than advanced technology.
To further the idea, Dune isn't really science fiction at all. It's what I like to call space fantasy. Think more along the line of Star Wars. Which was heavily influenced by Dune, among other things. Space magic and ancient technology.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #42
oxymoron

Quote:
Are you really comparing the greatest science fiction novel of all time to a cheesy 70s TV rip off of Star Wars?
No, I'm comparing your crying about a male character getting changed to a female character.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #43
oxymoron

(You know I'm just messing with you... )
Old 04-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #44
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
No, I'm comparing your crying about a male character getting changed to a female character.
I clearly have a reverence for the source material that you do not. It shouldn't be ****ed with. Period. Certainly not for the reasons given in the stupid blurb I quoted.

They should tell the story as written or go do something else.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #45
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
(You know I'm just messing with you... )
Sorry, but every other screen adaptation has turned out to be complete shit. I don't want to see it happen again.