Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #44191
Supporter

So yesterday there was talk about the KC area getting slammed or something. Here are some stats..

KC Area:
5.2% of hospital beds are used for Covid
33.6% of hospital beds are available

8.7% of ICU beds are used for Covid
33.3% of ICU beds are available

JoCo:
5.4% of beds are used for Covid
41.8% of beds are available

8.8% of ICU beds are used for Covid
52.7% of ICU beds are available

Jackson County:
5.7% of beds used for Covid
29% of beds available

7.8% of ICU beds used for Covid
29.5% of ICU beds available

So whomever is saying KC is getting ran on or whatever I think needs to re-think their take.

In the entire KC area over 1/3 of the hospital beds are empty

In JoCo alone damn near half the beds are empty and over half of the ICU beds
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #44192
El Gato Gordo Loco

It will be interesting to see how the cold and flu season goes. It may just be that enough people have already got the virus and have some immunity that it limits the spread to some degree. I certainly expect an uptick of cases in a couple months though to levels we may have never seen before or at the top of levels we have seen.

I wonder what percentage of the population has some immunity? If there are some 6-7M reported cases, one would think there is at least triple that of ACTUAL cases that have ran it's course. Combine that with the people that already seem to not be susceptible to the virus that will hopefully help mitigate the spread even at peak cold and flue times.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #44193
Supporter

Some more fun stats:

Since July 19th 7-day average for testing in the KC area has dropped almost 50%
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #44194
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
They probably shelved it due to the fact that both MERS and SARS were curbed before they could spread due to their relatively slow spread.
I've seen this point brought up in a lot of conspiracy corners of the internet. Basic rules of supply and demand answer this question.
Frenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 09-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #44195
Supporter

Interesting as well...

On 7-17 the 7 day average of tests was 4,041 tests a day in the KC area. As of yesterday it has dropped to 2,225.

Now for the fun...

On 7-17 the 7 day average of %positive was 11.2%. As of yesterday it is at 12.3%.

As I stated a few days ago though it as only Kansas I was referring too, testing has dropped significantly which is inflating the %positive rate. This is fairly logical as that is how math works when you test less people and the people you test have reason to suspect they have Covid.

In other words the %positivity rate is rather misleading.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #44196
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
Interesting as well...

On 7-17 the 7 day average of tests was 4,041 tests a day in the KC area. As of yesterday it has dropped to 2,225.

Now for the fun...

On 7-17 the 7 day average of %positive was 11.2%. As of yesterday it is at 12.3%.

As I stated a few days ago though it as only Kansas I was referring too, testing has dropped significantly which is inflating the %positive rate. This is fairly logical as that is how math works when you test less people and the people you test have reason to suspect they have Covid.

What's the testing availability like in KC? In my city they've closed two of the test centers (one that got results back to you in 48 hours). Our current centers are all backlogged and notoriously inaccurate. Not saying that's what's happening in KC, but once that happened in my city I've pretty much disregarded the data they've reported since.
Frenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutFrenchy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 09-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #44197
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
What's the testing availability like in KC? In my city they've closed two of the test centers (one that got results back to you in 48 hours). Our current centers are all backlogged and notoriously inaccurate. Not saying that's what's happening in KC, but once that happened in my city I've pretty much disregarded the data they've reported since.
That I could not say. The problem is we have the various counties and voards for both health and school using the %positive rate as the key metric to opening schools. I won't get into why I think they are latching onto that particular metric but there are reasons and it is a very easily manipulated stat.

The point being I don't think the %positive rate has increased but rather that the number of tests given has shrunk significantly thus keeping or inflating the %positive rate. Classic case of 1 out of 100 = 1% but 1 out of 50 = 2%.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #44198
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
Interesting as well...

Now for the fun...

I've been saying this for weeks, that using this stat as a way to determine policy is ****ing absurd. The denominator is wayyyy too subjective.
Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #44199
Mod Team

I agree.

Positivity rate means little if testing isn’t consistent.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #44200
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I agree.

Positivity rate means little if testing isn’t consistent.
Possibly on this note - can anyone get past the paywall to this article?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-1...es-11599211800
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #44201
Generational Player

The Londoner: Let children be exposed to viruses, says Professor Gupta

Professor Sunetra Gupta, who has been a leading critic of the cost of lockdown, says she welcomes the return of schools as children “if anything... would benefit from being exposed to this and other seasonal coronaviruses”.

Gupta, who is a professor of theoretical epidemiology at Oxford, told The Londoner that alongside huge social and educational benefits, the “evidence is mounting that early exposure to these various coronaviruses is what enables people to survive them”.

Professor Gupta came to prominence earlier this year when she questioned the government’s reliance on the Imperial College London modelling of the coronavirus epidemic. Professor Gupta and her team produced modelling that posited a greater number of Britons could have immunity to the virus than thought. She has been a longstanding critic of the wider impacts of lockdown on the poorest in society and across the world.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a4538386.html
MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahomesMagic is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #44202
MVP

Russian vaccine working?????? Maybe it is....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suggests.html
jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #44203
Banned

Sweden Now Has a Lower COVID-19 Death Rate Than the US.

The United States currently has 578 COVID-19 deaths per million compared to Sweden’s 577 per million, according to the global statistics web site Worldometers.

https://fee.org/articles/sweden-now-...hy-it-matters/
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #44204
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
Sweden Now Has a Lower COVID-19 Death Rate Than the US.

The United States currently has 578 COVID-19 deaths per million compared to Sweden’s 577 per million, according to the global statistics web site Worldometers.

https://fee.org/articles/sweden-now-...hy-it-matters/
The interesting thing about this is I doubt eDave understands the implication.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #44205
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
The interesting thing about this is I doubt eDave understands the implication.
Europe good. America bad.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.