Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2022, 05:59 AM  
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan

VPN Software

Is there any software out there to setup VPN on a local computer on your home/small business network? I have set that up myself before and I am just looking for more ease of use for my small business. MY IP address isn't static so I was hoping some platform had where you could install some software on a PC on your network and it just manages the connection for you through software you install elsewhere on any other PC. You don't have to know any IP... you just log into the account and boom... you can connect. Is there anything like that?
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichard View Post
Say you don't know what we are even talking about without saying you don't know what we are talking about.
So, what are we talking about? Are we talking about talking, or not talking about not talking? Maybe it's some sort of secret talk that can't be talked zbout. I bet there's a group of specially educated (Special Ed) Mensanians that talk among themselves. A cool group, I'm sure.
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:56 PM   #17
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
So, what are we talking about? Are we talking about talking, or not talking about not talking? Maybe it's some sort of secret talk that can't be talked zbout. I bet there's a group of specially educated (Special Ed) Mensanians that talk among themselves. A cool group, I'm sure.
It's likely they're not talking about illegal activities that could only be uncovered via subpoena.
TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedChief View Post
It's likely they're not talking about illegal activities that could only be uncovered via subpoena.
We are talking about VPN'ing into your own network... things businesses do all the time which has absolutely nothing to do with illegal activity. If you wanted to spend 15 minutes you could setup your own VPN on your own network and use it from anywhere. You aren't doing anything illegal.
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:06 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molitoth View Post
It all depends on what you use a VPN for, but yes Stewie... when using to do illegal things like download copywritten content, these services will all eventually lose in court and/or be forced into providing logs.
(IMO)

https://restoreprivacy.com/torguard-...QjzwvLXf192E88

https://securityreport.com/movie-studios-sue-torguard-after-10-million-legal-battle-with-liquidvpn/?fbclid=IwAR0hVCCQlUbZsBUz9qvjUP_wucinctjC21OnFUGjrE8GRWxsomBabeHoK6Y
Thanks for sharing those links. Just learnt something new
From my side would like to add that i found an interesting info about purevpn and cyberghost in this article.
Those are the only two vpns i ever used, not to mention TOR browser which is very slow for my purposes.

Last edited by markdis; 01-30-2023 at 02:16 AM..
markdis Loves all of Deberg's threads.markdis Loves all of Deberg's threads.markdis Loves all of Deberg's threads.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molitoth View Post
It all depends on what you use a VPN for, but yes Stewie... when using to do illegal things like download copywritten content, these services will all eventually lose in court and/or be forced into providing logs.
(IMO)

https://restoreprivacy.com/torguard-...QjzwvLXf192E88

https://securityreport.com/movie-studios-sue-torguard-after-10-million-legal-battle-with-liquidvpn/?fbclid=IwAR0hVCCQlUbZsBUz9qvjUP_wucinctjC21OnFUGjrE8GRWxsomBabeHoK6Y
When we are talking illegal activity with VPN(which isn't being discussed in this thread... completely different thing) no logs were given as there weren't any to give. Most VPN sites do that. They don't retain logs therefore they can't be asked to give them to anyone. So they were not forced to give up their logs.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:10 PM   #21
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Buy yourself a router that has internal VPN capabilities. Configure VPN at the router level. Every device that connects to the router via ethernet or wireless will be behind the VPN with no additional configuration necessary.
Can you walk me through how to do this? And which VPN service would your recommend?
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:33 PM   #22
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Can you walk me through how to do this? And which VPN service would your recommend?
What are you wanting constant VPN for? Because it's not a simple setup, and there are performance drawbacks.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:18 PM   #23
In Mahomes I trust!

We use Global Protect which works well
Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Stryker 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:04 AM   #24
Mod Team

Quote:
What are you wanting constant VPN for? Because it's not a simple setup, and there are performance drawbacks.
Everyone says to use one and I may have a cheap IPTV I like to use that lets me watch anything. I’m a Boomer when it comes to technology though so please guide me.

Check your Rep.

Last edited by lewdog; 05-25-2024 at 07:09 AM..
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Quote:
Everyone says to use one and I may have a cheap IPTV I like to use that lets me watch anything. I’m a Boomer when it comes to technology though so please guide me.

Check your Rep.
If you truly want to do that and you know nothing of networks or how they work and have 0 troubleshooting skills you might want to give something like this a try - https://www.flashrouters.com/

They supposedly send you a router already all configured for your VPN service. Do your own research on this though.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:39 AM   #26
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichard View Post
If you truly want to do that and you know nothing of networks or how they work and have 0 troubleshooting skills you might want to give something like this a try - https://www.flashrouters.com/

They supposedly send you a router already all configured for your VPN service. Do your own research on this though.
We upgraded to a Nighthawk router a few years ago. It seems to work well so not sure I want to get something else. Maybe I should just do a few devices instead of at the router?
Old 05-25-2024, 10:15 AM   #27

Quote:
We upgraded to a Nighthawk router a few years ago. It seems to work well so not sure I want to get something else. Maybe I should just do a few devices instead of at the router?
You could google your router model # and setting up VPN on it. You may luck out and someone has a video for that exact model. They often do. Then, if something isn't clear on the instructions you could ask those questions here.

Make a backup of your settings before you start and just restore if you **** anything up. Absolute worst case you have to restore to factory settings and you would most likely just have to set up your wifi again unless you have some other funky settings in there but it sounds like maybe you don't jack with those types of things.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:27 PM   #28
Ain't no relax!

Quote:

Check your Rep.
OK. This is a bad idea for you.

VPN software is meant to provide secure data encryption across networks that are not secure. It's intended to be used for purposes like securely connecting to your work network from across the globe, and be able to access the files on the server in your datacenter and copy those files to your laptop desktop. The VPN server encrypts all data that you transfer from point A to point B, so it cannot be captured by any other shady internet users and stolen.

It was never intended to be used for watching TV. Or being on all the time, outside of situations like a remote office that you want to have the same network access as in the main office. But VPN providers started advertising services to hackers who were trying to illegally download copyrighted games/movies/TV/etc. Essentially using the VPN as a middleman to anonymously access illegal data. The way copyright owners catch people is they search for any internet user downloading their stuff, log the IP address, and then confront your ISP saying you've stolen intellectual property. But with a VPN enabled, they can't see what it is you're downloading because it's encrypted. That is where you get the idea that "Everyone says to use one." To prevent getting caught by Universal or Nintendo, etc.

But here's the problem.. when you use a VPN in this manner, it requires that all data you send acrross the internet, must travel from your computer, to the VPN, then to the site you're wanting to go to, then back through the VPN server again, then back to your PC. Which will decrease your transfer speeds by much more than half the speed you would be getting without the VPN. Which usually results in buffering and lag when streaming. It also causes your location to be reported as the location of where the VPN is physically located instead of where you are. Which can present all kinds of problems with websites that require your location. Like YoutubeTV and Hulu Live, etc. require you to check in from your home location(home address) to continue using their service. You won't be able to do so with the VPN enabled, and if it's enabled at the router level it's on all the time. If your VPN is located outside the US, then it would actually prevent you from accessing quite a few US based streaming options, like Netflix. Since they have separate access outside the US. It could also give you local news stations from where the VPN is instead of your actual home address. There are many other geographic related issues this causes as well. You should really only use a VPN when you have to. It should not be viewed as just another security piece like your virus scanner.

In addition, the site you mentioned specifically mentions that a VPN is not needed:

Another thing you should note.. that IPTV site you referenced me is not exactly legally legit. It's based in the Netherlands so they can skirt around copyright violations and show you stuff from all kinds of different providers like Netflix and HBO at the same time. You aren't going to get into any legal trouble or anything just by watching, unless you try to stream the same feeds to other people. But you should know what it is.

Thank you for attending my TEDTalk.

Last edited by Fish; 05-25-2024 at 12:38 PM..
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:15 AM   #29
Mod Team

Quote:
OK. This is a bad idea for you.

VPN software is meant to provide secure data encryption across networks that are not secure. It's intended to be used for purposes like securely connecting to your work network from across the globe, and be able to access the files on the server in your datacenter and copy those files to your laptop desktop. The VPN server encrypts all data that you transfer from point A to point B, so it cannot be captured by any other shady internet users and stolen.

It was never intended to be used for watching TV. Or being on all the time, outside of situations like a remote office that you want to have the same network access as in the main office. But VPN providers started advertising services to hackers who were trying to illegally download copyrighted games/movies/TV/etc. Essentially using the VPN as a middleman to anonymously access illegal data. The way copyright owners catch people is they search for any internet user downloading their stuff, log the IP address, and then confront your ISP saying you've stolen intellectual property. But with a VPN enabled, they can't see what it is you're downloading because it's encrypted. That is where you get the idea that "Everyone says to use one." To prevent getting caught by Universal or Nintendo, etc.

But here's the problem.. when you use a VPN in this manner, it requires that all data you send acrross the internet, must travel from your computer, to the VPN, then to the site you're wanting to go to, then back through the VPN server again, then back to your PC. Which will decrease your transfer speeds by much more than half the speed you would be getting without the VPN. Which usually results in buffering and lag when streaming. It also causes your location to be reported as the location of where the VPN is physically located instead of where you are. Which can present all kinds of problems with websites that require your location. Like YoutubeTV and Hulu Live, etc. require you to check in from your home location(home address) to continue using their service. You won't be able to do so with the VPN enabled, and if it's enabled at the router level it's on all the time. If your VPN is located outside the US, then it would actually prevent you from accessing quite a few US based streaming options, like Netflix. Since they have separate access outside the US. It could also give you local news stations from where the VPN is instead of your actual home address. There are many other geographic related issues this causes as well. You should really only use a VPN when you have to. It should not be viewed as just another security piece like your virus scanner.

In addition, the site you mentioned specifically mentions that a VPN is not needed:

Another thing you should note.. that IPTV site you referenced me is not exactly legally legit. It's based in the Netherlands so they can skirt around copyright violations and show you stuff from all kinds of different providers like Netflix and HBO at the same time. You aren't going to get into any legal trouble or anything just by watching, unless you try to stream the same feeds to other people. But you should know what it is.

Thank you for attending my TEDTalk.
I would pay a monthly subscription to CP just to be able to get information like this from people smarter than me. Thank you!

I am sending you a message too.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote