Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Pay or trade Chris Jones?
Give Chris Jones an extension worth similar amount as Donald 93 54.07%
Trade Chris Jones for market value (which I assume is similar to Tyreek) 32 18.60%
Keep him his last year and tag him next year 47 27.33%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2023, 09:56 PM  
SuperBowl or bust

Would you give Jones 3/100m or trade him?

We might as well start the conversation.

Aaron Donald got a 3 year extension worth 95m and Jones won’t/shouldn’t accept a penny less.

We can probably get the equivalent of 2 firsts if we trade him.

Poll will be up in a minute…
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:46 PM   #241
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
Honestly if Jones demands are exorbitant then Veach might have to let him play out this year while hoping he doesn’t have another DPOY caliber year and possibly sign him for less. If not then see if there are any takers for a trade. I just think if KC plans to lose him they have something ready to replace his production. Perhaps Veach does already. It will just be hard to get what we hope we can for him considering his age and salary expectations.

I just say that comparing his situation to Hill’s isn’t remotely the same as KC can afford to let Hill walk because we have Mahomes. We have nothing or no one even remotely close on the defensive side of the ball.
Yeah the bolded is what I'm saying. It would truly suck losing Jones. But you also can't just give him the most ridiculous contract that some team might offer on the open market.

We made it pretty clear with the Hill trade that we're not going to give out max contracts. Jones will know that too and shouldn't be expecting an outlandish deal. But he might be willing to play one more year and bet on himself, with the threat that he will hold out if we tag him and don't trade him. I could see it all playing out that way.

I don't think letting him play one more year then tagging and trading for whatever we can get, if it works out that way, is the end of the world. He's dominant this year. But it is a contract year for him. He hasn't always looked as highly-motivated as this year.

I love Jones. But he's pretty laid back and happy go-lucky. IE - the kind of player who could just coast a bit after signing a big contract. Let's not forget Houston and Berry. Those contracts really hamstrung the team.

Last edited by suzzer99; 01-13-2023 at 12:52 PM..
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:49 PM   #242
Three-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
Yeah the bolded is what I'm saying. It would truly suck losing Jones. But you also can't just give him the most ridiculous contract that some dumb team might offer on the open market.
Looks like we are in agreement. I also know that our ability to get to the QB without blitzing is suspect at times. If KC lets Jones walk they need to have a plan to replace 12+ sacks a year from him.
tredadda has disabled reputation
Old 01-13-2023, 12:50 PM   #243
MVP

They have to make him a genuine fair market offer IMO. They can't replace everyone but Pat when their contract is up.
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:58 PM   #244
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybec 4 View Post
They have to make him a genuine fair market offer IMO. They can't replace everyone but Pat when their contract is up.
How do you define fair market? Because if it's to match what any team would offer, that's a tough standard. It seems like there's always some team in a position to overpay for whatever reason.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:02 PM   #245
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
Looks like we are in agreement. I also know that our ability to get to the QB without blitzing is suspect at times. If KC lets Jones walk they need to have a plan to replace 12+ sacks a year from him.
You'd like to think that with the extra draft picks and savings on money you could pursue Marcus Davenport/Javon Hargrave and also add young depth as well.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:03 PM   #246
MVP

Quote:
How do you define fair market? Because if it's to match what any team would offer, that's a tough standard. It seems like there's always some team in a position to overpay for whatever reason.
That's the hard part. Fair market doesn't mean resetting the market IMO. I would say at this point Jones is a step behind Donald and should be compensated accordingly..
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:26 PM   #247
MVP

This is nuts. He was double teamed ~70% of the time and the highest double teamed edge rusher was only at ~31. He was a man amongst boys in the interior pass rusher chart.
dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #248
MVP

The chances of replacing his sack numbers arent very high, but it is going to be impossible to replace what he brings to helping everyone else rush the passer. He's picking up double teams 70% of the time and those aren't chips from a TE or RB. It's a C and G trying to stop him. He's more valuable than any pass rusher in the game right now. He gets sacks and makes it easier for everyone else.

You pay him whatever it takes, because you will not replace everything he brings to the table.
dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:55 PM   #249
Banned

Quote:
Yeah the bolded is what I'm saying. It would truly suck losing Jones. But you also can't just give him the most ridiculous contract that some team might offer on the open market.

We made it pretty clear with the Hill trade that we're not going to give out max contracts. Jones will know that too and shouldn't be expecting an outlandish deal. But he might be willing to play one more year and bet on himself, with the threat that he will hold out if we tag him and don't trade him. I could see it all playing out that way.

I don't think letting him play one more year then tagging and trading for whatever we can get, if it works out that way, is the end of the world. He's dominant this year. But it is a contract year for him. He hasn't always looked as highly-motivated as this year.

I love Jones. But he's pretty laid back and happy go-lucky. IE - the kind of player who could just coast a bit after signing a big contract. Let's not forget Houston and Berry. Those contracts really hamstrung the team.
He already signed a big contract. He's made either 1st or 2nd team AP all pro every year since signing it. He's a been a constant.
mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #250
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Screw New England.

I'm talking about other franchises that were set up but kept their expensive guys and got talent thin in the middle of the roster.

One injury to a vet and you are screwed.
So which other dynasties are you talking about if not New England?
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:14 PM   #251
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
Let me repeat.....

Dynasties were squandered because they overpaid veterans instead of reloading and going young again.

You don't have to, and should not expect a guy to hold an elite level of play at a defensive position in which you blow shit up every play.

You can move your strengths to other areas of the team as you draft young talent.

Oh, and just because the cheating ass Pats did it doesn't mean I'm citing them as evidence.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:14 PM   #252
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Not dynasties but I remember Pittsburgh and Baltimore keeping their guys and not doing a lot in FA.

They were always right there at the end for years and years.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:02 PM   #253
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Let me repeat.....

Dynasties were squandered because they overpaid veterans instead of reloading and going young again.

You don't have to, and should not expect a guy to hold an elite level of play at a defensive position in which you blow shit up every play.

You can move your strengths to other areas of the team as you draft young talent.

Oh, and just because the cheating ass Pats did it doesn't mean I'm citing them as evidence.
Barring injury I just don't see Chris Jones falling off in the next 3-4 years. After that? Sure. But you guys are acting like he's some old vet looking for one last contract. He's still at his peak and you can extend that peak by putting guys around him that can relieve pressure off him like Karlaftis has done.

I don't think there are enough dynasties to pretend like there's a common thread to building them other than hall of fame QB.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #254
Starter

Quote:
Barring injury I just don't see Chris Jones falling off in the next 3-4 years. After that? Sure. But you guys are acting like he's some old vet looking for one last contract. He's still at his peak and you can extend that peak by putting guys around him that can relieve pressure off him like Karlaftis has done.

I don't think there are enough dynasties to pretend like there's a common thread to building them other than hall of fame QB.
Premier pass rushing DLineman are rare and you don't trade them or let them walk until it's really time. They are too valuable and I would argue they are the second most valuable position in that you don't want to trade a good one next to QB.
Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chief3188 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:11 PM   #255
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Just pay him the tag number for the next 3 years on a contract, with an extra 4th year tacked on.

Seems easy enough?
Easy? has any player ever played the 2nd year of being “tagged”. I don’t think so and Jones won’t that’s for sure.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.