Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
Supporter

If it wasn't for that complete freak of nature, Aaron Donald, Chris Jones would be viewed as the best interior lineman in the NFL and his numbers back that up.

There is also absolutely no doubt that Jones has earned a $20 million dollar per year contract because he's a game changer who's relentless and a force of nature when healthy.

If I was Jones or his agent, I'd advise him to holdout, too, and there's no way I'd play on the Franchise Tag, either. What if he's injured or tears an ACL mid-season? There's no way a team would offer him a $100 million dollar deal coming off of injury, while missing prime years.

With all of the uncertainty about this season and without new TV contracts in place, I don't think that any team can compete for a Super Bowl title when they're paying three players in excess of $20 million per year.

Had COVID not wrecked this year for sports, maybe the NFL's new TV contracts would have allowed the Chiefs to sign Jones to the type of contract he's earned but with so much uncertainty, not only in 2020 but for future years as well, I believe the best course of action for both parties is a sign and trade deal.

It's an unfortunate reality but I think it's more likely than not that he'll be on another roster once the season begins.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
SuperBowl or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante84 View Post
Why isn’t the cap assigned 2 years in advance?

Serious question.
Because it’s based on income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
If it wasn't for that complete freak of nature, Aaron Donald, Chris Jones would be viewed as the best interior lineman in the NFL and his numbers back that up.

There is also absolutely no doubt that Jones has earned a $20 million dollar per year contract because he's a game changer who's relentless and a force of nature when healthy.

If I was Jones or his agent, I'd advise him to holdout, too, and there's no way I'd play on the Franchise Tag, either. What if he's injured or tears an ACL mid-season? There's no way a team would offer him a $100 million dollar deal coming off of injury, while missing prime years.

With all of the uncertainty about this season and without new TV contracts in place, I don't think that any team can compete for a Super Bowl title when they're paying three players in excess of $20 million per year.

Had COVID not wrecked this year for sports, maybe the NFL's new TV contracts would have allowed the Chiefs to sign Jones to the type of contract he's earned but with so much uncertainty, not only in 2020 but for future years as well, I believe the best course of action for both parties is a sign and trade deal.

It's an unfortunate reality but I think it's more likely than not that he'll be on another roster once the season begins.
Exactly.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post

Per Garafalo the Chiefs don’t and apparently have never viewed him as a $20 million asset. That’s the big question.

Garafalo was obviously told that from KC. He’s got no reason to make that up, rifht?

If true, I wonder why that is? It’s been well documented that Chris Jones is not great on first down, so it leads me to believe that they might think Chris is not complete player.
The other elephant in the room is availability. Chris was injured in 2017 and 2018 playoff games, so Chris being unavailable in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season might have really supported their decision, especially if it was due to a basketball locker room incident (not sure I buy that).

I agree with you that it seems like Chris Jones is not going to be here long term. I think that if that report is true that they don’t view him like he views himself, the ideal situation is keeping him on the tag this year and then trading him for assets to use in the draft next spring.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
I missed '69!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Per Garafalo the Chiefs don’t and apparently have never viewed him as a $20 million asset. That’s the big question.

Garafalo was obviously told that from KC. He’s got no reason to make that up, rifht?

If true, I wonder why that is? It’s been well documented that Chris Jones is not great on first down, so it leads me to believe that they might think Chris is not complete player.
The other elephant in the room is availability. Chris was injured in 2017 and 2018 playoff games, so Chris being unavailable in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season might have really supported their decision, especially if it was due to a basketball locker room incident (not sure I buy that).

I agree with you that it seems like Chris Jones is not going to be here long term. I think that if that report is true that they don’t view him like he views himself, the ideal situation is keeping him on the tag this year and then trading him for assets to use in the draft next spring.
Does anyone believe he’s worth Donald money? He’s great sure but not a game by game wrecker.
Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbled View Post
Does anyone believe he’s worth Donald money? He’s great sure but not a game by game wrecker.
No, he’s not.

I like Jones and wish he could remain a Chief, but at the price he’s asking? No thanks.

For all his greatness in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, he was largely invisible (or not playing) in every other playoff game of his Chiefs career. You don’t pay Aaron Donald money for someone like that. No matter how thankful you may be to them for helping you win your first Super Bowl in 50 years.

You thank them, wish them the best, and move right the **** along.
TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-04-2020, 01:42 AM   #7
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

I get how it’s currently set up. What I want to know is why they can’t push the cap adjustments out just one year and recognize the lift/decrease the following year?

Having the next years cap number in hand while negotiating the majority of your contracts would seem to be very helpful. Plus, the owners get to keep the dollars an extra year.

Last edited by Dante84; 07-04-2020 at 01:47 AM..
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante84 View Post
I get how it’s currently set up. What I want to know is why they can’t push the cap adjustments out just one year and recognize the lift/decrease the following year?

Having the next years cap number in hand while negotiating the majority of your contracts would seem to be very helpful. Plus, the owners get to keep the dollars an extra year.
What you're suggesting would fundamentally change the entire league and how business is conducted.

Teams wouldn't sign many, if any, players to long term contracts because of uncertainty with their various revenue streams. And like this offseason, teams would be unwilling to commit to any free agents long term, regardless of whether or not it's an extension or a pure free agent, because of the uncertainty of would the cap would be in two, three or four years from now.

Sure, the Chiefs could sign Mahomes to a large extension but under this scenario, many teams would either be way under the cap or way over, especially if the expected increases, which have occurred over the past 10 years of the current CBA, actually turns out to be a decrease in revenue.

In that scenario, teams would be struggling to fit their players under the cap, which would likely result in higher paid players being shown the door, making those teams less competitive.

The bottom line is that it's just impossible for the NFL and its teams to plan 2 years in advance, especially at this juncture, due to expiring broadcasting rights in 2021.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
Special Teams ACE!!!

I entertained trading Jones for the right price early in the offseason, and I'm open to that now, but come on, people. Chris Jones is a more valuable cog to this defense than Frank ****ing Clark.

Frank Clark is a DE. Chris Jones plays primarily on the interior, but he's demonstrated he can play a 5-technique and still get 15 sacks! You can play him anywhere. Getting INTERIOR pressure is worth its weight in gold. You need pressure from the ends, yes, that's not to minimize the important role that Clark plays, but when you do what Jones is able to do, and you ask, "Which one is better to have on your defense?" the answer is CLEARLY Chris Jones.

We could probably be fine without Jones, but that's only because Nnadi, Pennel, and Saunders are pretty good as an interior trio. We could lose Clark, and yeah, we'd be screwed at DE, but we'd still be able to get pressure with Jones.

That's the difference between the two.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
In Search of a Life

I think if CJ wants an avg of 20, you find a way to make it work and just backfill the contract.

I'd venture he wants to be paid more than AD to reset the market and wants a large chunk of guaranteed $$$$$ early on and that's what's going to keep a contract from getting done.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
Veteran

[QUOTE=RealSNR;15051742]I entertained trading Jones for the right price early in the offseason, and I'm open to that now, but come on, people. Chris Jones is a more valuable cog to this defense than Frank ****ing Clark.

Frank Clark is a DE. Chris Jones plays primarily on the interior, but he's demonstrated he can play a 5-technique and still get 15 sacks! You can play him anywhere. Getting INTERIOR pressure is worth its weight in gold. You need pressure from the ends, yes, that's not to minimize the important role that Clark plays, but when you do what Jones is able to do, and you ask, "Which one is better to have on your defense?" the answer is CLEARLY Chris Jones.

We could probably be fine without Jones, but that's only because Nnadi, Pennel, and Saunders are pretty good as an interior trio. We could lose Clark, and yeah, we'd be screwed at DE, but we'd still be able to get pressure with Jones.

That's the difference between the two.[ I’d take clark anytime over Jones, but I’d love to have them both.
R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
SuperBowl or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
I entertained trading Jones for the right price early in the offseason, and I'm open to that now, but come on, people. Chris Jones is a more valuable cog to this defense than Frank ****ing Clark.

That's the difference between the two.
I think Jones is a unicorn. Said it for quite some time now. I think he has rare talents that if harnessed with hard work throughout his career will end up in the HOF. I compared his body style and the way he plays to Reggie White and still think that’s accurate.

But Clark brings a mentality this DL didn’t have without him...even though they had Houston and Ford on the edges and Jones in the middle. They were soft.

I’d love to see Veach find a way to keep Jones long term and for him to continue to be coached up to continue to improve, but it appears the situation with the cap won’t allow that...or maybe it will and we see extensions for Mahomes and Jones on July 15th.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
I think Jones is a unicorn. Said it for quite some time now. I think he has rare talents that if harnessed with hard work throughout his career will end up in the HOF. I compared his body style and the way he plays to Reggie White and still think that’s accurate.

But Clark brings a mentality this DL didn’t have without him...even though they had Houston and Ford on the edges and Jones in the middle. They were soft.

I’d love to see Veach find a way to keep Jones long term and for him to continue to be coached up to continue to improve, but it appears the situation with the cap won’t allow that...or maybe it will and we see extensions for Mahomes and Jones on July 15th.
If Jones is such a Unicorn then why aren't teams lining up to get him away from KC during this contract situation?
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:26 AM   #14
SuperBowl or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
If Jones is such a Unicorn then why aren't teams lining up to get him away from KC during this contract situation?
Nobody would know if they already were or not.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #15
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
Nobody would know if they already were or not.
Yep.

The Colts just gave up #13 overall to the 49ers for DeForest Buckner, a defensive tackle with similar numbers to Chris Jones in the past 4 four seasons, then gave him an extension worth $21 million per season.

If/When Veach decides to trade Jones, he'll definitely get at least a 1st rounder for Jones and maybe more, depending on the slot.

And just like Buckner, fans may not know that a trade is or has been in the works until it's announced.

Closed Thread