Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 AM  
Resident Glue Sniffer

The Motorcycle Discussion Thread

I figure there are some motorcycle guys/gals on CP, so I thought we could have a place to talk all things Motorcycles.

Tire Mount and Balance Prices (as of 10/29/16)

Prices based on if you remove the wheels yourself and bring the wheels and new tires with you:

Cycle Gear - $35 per wheel if you buy tires from them. $58 per wheel if you buy tires elsewhere
Rawhide - $65 per wheel (assuming it would be the same at other HD dealers. they book it at 1/2 hr per wheel)
C R Cycle Tires (DeSoto) - $30 per wheel

Cheapest I've found my Michelin Commander II's. Seem like they have good prices on other brands too.
http://www.jakewilson.com - Free 3 day shipping on orders over $75

Last edited by Dayze; 10-29-2016 at 09:02 PM..
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #2131
Resident Glue Sniffer

Just looked at the Map:
Liberty run I mentioned: the main drag East through Liberty to H highway. Follow all the way to Excelsior Springs. Good little BBQ joint there called Wabash BBQ. 10 Hwy East to O. South on O to Orrick, MO (Fuel available in Orrick). East on 210 to 13 South over the river. Take the Lexington exit West and roll through old town Lexingtin and pick up 224 along the river. Head West to D highway. South on D to I-70/Bates City (last year, D was pretty beat up in some places FYI). Take Z highway on the south side of I-70. You can either follow Z all the way to 50hwy or peel off and grab TT and follow to F and it'll take you to 50 hwy outside of Lone Jack.

I really like riding up in that Excelsior / Richmond area. good pavement, fun alphabet highways. you can just sort of loop around there all day if you wanted to.
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #2132
Resident Glue Sniffer

St Joe Run (we went to St Joe HD to get coffee and a T Shirt for shits and grins):
Get to 435 and 45hwy (north of the Legends). West on 45hwy. Follow all the way to Weston. In Weston (Fuel available here for top off if needed), take H highway North. H will eventually wind you back East and will T intersection with 371 hwy. Take 371 North. After a few miles 371 will fork and you'll have the option to get onto A hwy. Take A north. You could also just stay on 371, or if you miss the turn off for A. Either way, they'll both get you to 229 and on to St. Joe HD. You can return back the same way if you want. We returned by going West from St. Joe HD to pick up 59 South. 59 veers West through Atchison, followed that continued South to Oskaloosa. Grab 92 East and follow all the way to 92 & S 20th. There's a Casey's there with 91 octane. From there, you're basically in Leavenworth. Take S 20th South to Eisenhower Road. East on Eisenhower to 5 Highway (you'll cross over 73/7 highway/intersection). Take 5 hwy South all the way back to Lakeside Speedway / 435 and go whichever direction home.

I'm in Lenexa, for reference, so some of my rides take into a count getting me back in that general area/direction. you can change yours obviously to get you back into your neck of the woods
Old 01-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #2133
best in the biz

I would love to ride with some planeteers this spring..that is..if you don't mind my Oldwing....

stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #2134
Resident Glue Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
I would love to ride with some planeteers this spring..that is..if you don't mind my Oldwing....

shit, let's roll.
don't matter to me what anyone rides.
Hell, I ride with one guy who has a limited production Yamaha R1M that makes about 200hp.
lol
Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #2135
best in the biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayze View Post
shit, let's roll.
don't matter to me what anyone rides.
Hell, I ride with one guy who has a limited production Yamaha R1M that makes about 200hp.
lol
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #2136
Ride on!

I love the 224 run to Lexington. That's just a few hours round trip though. If you're looking for more of a weekend destination, I suggest Eureka, I know you said you had down Arkansas, but I'm guessing you haven't taken my favorite route down. Head on over to 65 and head south to Springfield. The south side of Springfield head east to MO125. That will take you south through the Mark Twain National Forrest, and is one of the smoothest roads I've ridden in MO. If you keep heading south through there, you will hit the Peel Ferry on Bull Shoals lake. Kind of a cool experience to ride that thing across. Then, once in Arkansas, find AR62 and take it west into Eureka Springs. It does add some time to the trip, but I haven't found any bikers that have a problem with that. Then on your way home, just start meandering north. You'll eventually hit I44, or I49 (US71) but there's lots of fun roads in that area. Just avoid Branson.
kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.kcfanXIII Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #2137
Resident Glue Sniffer

Peel Ferry rules. we stumbled upon it by accident when we hit the dead end and had to wait for the ferry lol. awesome roads. that route down to Peel's Ferry is so much fun. 125 hwy? I can't remember. I think we hopped off 65 and picked up F hwy to 160 and 160 to 125. Just remember it seeming like miles and miles and miles of curves.

Also, check out Harrison Arkansas if you're thinking of a weekend type trip. Though I've never personally done it/been there, I plan to. Free motorcycle guide to be mailed to you.
http://www.harrisonarkansas.org/c_upe_view.php?id=42
Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #2138
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleychief View Post

Right now I ride a Suzuki DL-650, but if things go right in the next few months, I'm trading up to either a Ducati Multistrada 1200, or a BMW S1000XR. I made the big mistake of test driving the Ducati last summer, and could not wipe the smile off my face. I'm sure my first out-of-pocket repair bill with either of those bikes will fix that! Hopefully with a new-ish motorcycle, the ride will be maintenance-free.
Both very sweet rides! My buddy had a Multistrada and it was a sweet bike. However note, if you don't wrench on your own bikes, expect to put out coin to have Ducati's serviced. I think he paid $1200 for the 15k valve etc. interval.
I bet you have enjoyed that V Strom. Great bikes as well
Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.Graystoke is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #2139
Resident Glue Sniffer

gray stroke is correct. Though starting in I think around 2008, ducati really upped their game on maintenance intervals, particularly with regard to valve checks and adjustments. I want to say back in the day around mid to late 90's, they were like every 5k, but went to like 7500, then 12k, and are probably around 15k now it sounds like. Thoug, unless you're racing and redlining the motor, you're likely to remain in spec.

The valve check and adjustment isnt "too" bad to do yourself especially with the 2valve per cylinder Ducs. Definitely not something I'd want to mess with every few months (and with the old intervals and the amount of miles one could put on a bike, once a season is definitely possible), but once every other season in the off season wouldn't be bad.

In general, working in your own bike is ideal to a degree. And most intervals regardless of make, is doable/within this degree. HD, like Ducati, is pricey for the dealer to do it. Don't let maintence deter you (you as in anyone readin gthis) from getting the scoot you want. A shop manual and YouTube does wonders and most can be performed with basic tools. You might need a special tool or socket here and there, but the average toolbox can get it done. plus, there was a set of DVDS I saw on a Duc Monster forum a while back was like a step by step guide for the valves. People swore by them. I'd own a Ducati in a heartbeat, and would just tackle maintence in the winter. Chances are, you'd stick a feeler gauge between the shim and valve/rocker arm find its within spec.

Last edited by Dayze; 01-25-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Old 01-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #2140
Supporter

A good bike along those lines is the FJ-09 by Yamaha..it is a triple cylinder bike that is a sport touring bike..cheaper option if you want to look into that..I thought about getting one but decided I wanted a big fairing and full touring bike
Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #2141
Supporter

Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #2142
Supporter

Here is the bike I have been looking at

Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #2143
Resident Glue Sniffer

That Yamaha is pretty slick.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #2144
Resident Glue Sniffer

'15 RG Special?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #2145
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfanXIII View Post
I love the 224 run to Lexington. That's just a few hours round trip though. If you're looking for more of a weekend destination, I suggest Eureka, I know you said you had down Arkansas, but I'm guessing you haven't taken my favorite route down. Head on over to 65 and head south to Springfield. The south side of Springfield head east to MO125. That will take you south through the Mark Twain National Forrest, and is one of the smoothest roads I've ridden in MO. If you keep heading south through there, you will hit the Peel Ferry on Bull Shoals lake. Kind of a cool experience to ride that thing across. Then, once in Arkansas, find AR62 and take it west into Eureka Springs. It does add some time to the trip, but I haven't found any bikers that have a problem with that. Then on your way home, just start meandering north. You'll eventually hit I44, or I49 (US71) but there's lots of fun roads in that area. Just avoid Branson.
Interesting idea! Yeah, that does look like it would have some nice scenery. Last time I went to Eureka. I jumped off I-49 and took 340 to 94. That was nice because it cut off Bentonville traffic. Nothing to write home about though scenery-wise.

For my 2nd day ride, I did 23 south to 74, 74 east to 21, 21 south to 43, 43 north to 103, 103 north to 412, 412 east to 62, and took that west back into Eureka. I didn't have a paper map with me and my phone which I was using as GPS died around Ponca. That made it more interesting! Somewhere along the route I saw a Tyson sign and nearly hit two chickens. Pretty sure I knew why they were trying to cross the road. Scenery was amazing though, I'd highly recommend that route if you haven't done that already. I think for a brief while on one of those roads, you are literally riding on the crest of a hill, and can look to either side of the road and see for miles.
stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.stanleychief has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.