Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #17371
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
Boris Johnson moved to ICU as his conditions worsen.
Where are you seeing this at? I can't find anything.

EDIT: yeah now I'm seeing reports of it.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #17372
"You like to drink?"

Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #17373
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I can’t seem to figure out what parameters they had set that caused the model to be off by THAT much. It makes no sense
Build on this point a little:

Let's use the early WaPo graphic things a bit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Look at their 'spread' graph with the little dots bouncing around. Sound theory, right? But those dots don't behave like people. They bounce around erratically. In real life, that's not how people work.

We know from behavior research that people are shockingly insular when it gets down to it. Not all of them - truly transient types bounce around like those dots. But the overwhelming majority of people just don't. They stay in roughly similar behavior patterns; between thinly transcribed lines, so to speak. And when that happens, the majority of the randomized collisions in those models don't happen as even a little bit of thinning starts.

So the impact of ANY level of social distancing was wildly understated, as was the impact of people getting sick and/or voluntarily isolating.

People behave irrationally oftentimes, but in a strangely predictable way. They don't just behave erratically. So any model that was built on that premise (i.e. any of them that leaned hard into exponential growth - i.e. all of them) has failed spectacularly.

Now if I'm one of those guys, I say "sure, we underestimated the impact of 'x, y and z' social distancing measures, but we DIDN'T underestimate what would've happened had we done nothing at all. So we clearly still needed to do something and our models proved that..."

To which I still would've told them to **** off and die because there are very very few people who said to do nothing differently at all. What that response does is completely ignore any concept of diminishing marginal returns. At some point your model needs to not suck giant bawls so we can figure out where these returns maximize and we can start to try to match up points of intersection to some useful degree.

Even taking that response at face value, we have no idea what degrees of social distancing are actually yielding positive returns. Because, y'know, we never stood back for a second and took stock of anything before we did the next thing.

Just spectacular science and modeling all around, really.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #17374
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #17375
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower View Post
I'm sorry for the guy and hope he recovers fully but...... his opinion that herd immunity would resolve the virus faster than social distancing was insane.

Purposefully mocking the threat, shaking hands with known coronavius positive people to make his point that it wasn't serious put more people in jeopardy.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #17376
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnerped View Post
Virus is spreading in my town now and everyone wants to come to the post office evidently. We've had a line out the door since we opened and I don't see it slowing down. Pretty sure this thing has already gotten into my office too.

Never had problems before last week with having a tightness in my chest, fatigue, and an atypical heart beat.

But no coughing and fever so I guess I'm good.
Could also be Anxiety, This could be freaking you out a little bit. Like they said you should get checked, but im willing to bet anxiety might be it.
kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.kcxiv is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #17377
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv View Post
Could also be Anxiety, This could be freaking you out a little bit. Like they said you should get checked, but im willing to bet anxiety might be it.
I was going to mention this as well. I'm very hyper aware of bodily sensations as it is, but I know I've been anxious/stressed/depressed over the past month or so. All of those things can lend to a variety of physical symptoms. I haven't felt like "myself" for almost a month now. Things have improved some, but it will take a while for things to go back to normal.

Good idea to be checked out though regardless
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #17378
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I'm sorry for the guy and hope he recovers fully but...... his opinion that herd immunity would resolve the virus faster than social distancing was insane.

Purposefully mocking the threat, shaking hands with known coronavius positive people to make his point that it wasn't serious put more people in jeopardy.
He was actually doing this??
Old 04-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #17379
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
He was actually doing this??
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #17380
Hockey Town

Boris Johnson is a dope......why is it that during some massive outbreak we have a list of world leaders that leaves a lot to be desired.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #17381
I love your mom

Just a tutorial on masks.
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1720657475514
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #17382
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv View Post
I also suspected this could be it. Had to put my dog down late February and with that came a sort of existential crisis. Paired with all the covid news, it has given me a few restless nights. I'm going to make an appointment today.
Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Tnerped must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #17383
Life is changing..

Quote:
I also suspected this could be it. Had to put my dog down late February and with that came a sort of existential crisis. Paired with all the covid news, it has given me a few restless nights. I'm going to make an appointment today.
Yep, sounds like some stress/anxiety. Good on you for making the appointment though. Best to play it safe.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #17384
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
What on Earth...
Old 04-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #17385
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
I'm going to make an appointment today.
I'm sorry if my post added to your anxiety, man. I just worry about people and I want you to get checked out and hopefully everything is okay. Better safe than sorry.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.