Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2024, 01:54 PM  
On Hiatus

Retirement Thread

After the positive responses and congratulations on my Retirement thread, the idea came to me that there should be a thread that helps everyone prepare for the eventuality of retirement.

There were many great ideas, comments and great suggestions that came out of the conversation. What I would like to do is put this here as a repository for information for anyone who is:
  • Ready to retire
  • Close to retirement
  • Beginning to plan for retirement

One of the things I came to find out is that no matter how much I had thought I was prepared for retirement, there were still things I had not pondered or prepared for.

So this thread is for all your questions, comments, advice to help others that are close to retirement.

I mean....this board is about a year and a half away from being around for a quarter of a century, and many of us who have been around are there already.

So, please feel free to contribute!
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 10:48 AM   #151
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'm one month from hanging 'em up as of today. But it's a 31-day month so it's still a long way off.

Congratulations, Kevin!
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #152
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
I'm one month from hanging 'em up as of today. But it's a 31-day month so it's still a long way off.
Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick..........
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #153
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick..........
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

(Pause.)

Are we there yet?
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #154
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

(Pause.)

Are we there yet?
Time for the young whippersnappers to take the lead.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #155
Supporter

2 months and 11 days for me but who's counting. It is getting harder to stay motivated at work, I will say that. My employees are starting to grate on me every time they screw something up. I just do a countdown of how long until I won't have to deal with them.
TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #156
I am Number Six

It's taken me a bit to get into a rhythm since retiring last January.

One thing that's helped is taking over some of the daily house chores simply to make more time for the rest of the family. I'll never be mistaken for a Michelin chef, but I'm defintely getting more comfortable making dinner and trying recipies I never thought I'd be able to handle.

Finally getting into a good rhythm with my writing. Just about to put the finishing touches on a novella, got three short stories started, and two novels are at various points of being finished.

Also, getting caught up on my backlog of books I've been meaning to read, DVDs I've been meaning to watch and found a couple of channels on the tube that specialize on older TV shows (esp. GRIT to catch up on those old 1950s westerns and GET - watching the heck out of Mike Hammer, Magnum P.I., Rockford Files, and Kojak.)

So, yeah, it takes a little bit and some experimenting to figure out what works, but if you don't try to force it, I think it's easy to find something that interests you enough to keep you from being bored.
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan is too fat/Omaha.
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #157
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebMaxx View Post
2 months and 11 days for me but who's counting. It is getting harder to stay motivated at work, I will say that. My employees are starting to grate on me every time they screw something up. I just do a countdown of how long until I won't have to deal with them.
You are in something I kind of dealt with....I call it the lame duck syndrome.

Once people know you are leaving they either ignore you, listen but don't really hear you, or treat you like you are Charlie Brown's teacher. Some of them resent you because you made it to the goal line and they are so far away. The really good people are happy for you, but it also reminds them how far they are from achieving what you have worked to accomplish.

But....and here is the good part for you, that last 71 days will go by faster than you think. The last day you will spend cleaning up things, having people come by and say their farewell's and some will be truly sad to see you go.

And saying this from recent experience....you will not believe the feeling freedom that you get from leaving work for the final time. I have had lunch with a couple of my former co-workers just to catch up and the first thing they said was that I seem so happy...and even look a bit younger.

Retirement looks good on me.....and I am loving it. Here's to hoping that you get the same joy that I have now.

And what I look forward to most is the upcoming 3-peat by the KC Chiefs!
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:54 AM   #158
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan View Post
It's taken me a bit to get into a rhythm since retiring last January.

One thing that's helped is taking over some of the daily house chores simply to make more time for the rest of the family. I'll never be mistaken for a Michelin chef, but I'm defintely getting more comfortable making dinner and trying recipies I never thought I'd be able to handle.

Finally getting into a good rhythm with my writing. Just about to put the finishing touches on a novella, got three short stories started, and two novels are at various points of being finished.

Also, getting caught up on my backlog of books I've been meaning to read, DVDs I've been meaning to watch and found a couple of channels on the tube that specialize on older TV shows (esp. GRIT to catch up on those old 1950s westerns and GET - watching the heck out of Mike Hammer, Magnum P.I., Rockford Files, and Kojak.)

So, yeah, it takes a little bit and some experimenting to figure out what works, but if you don't try to force it, I think it's easy to find something that interests you enough to keep you from being bored.
I actually have become a part time "Picker"....doing it just enough to keep me occupied. I will never become a millionaire doing it, but dang it is fun when you sell something you have purchased, repaired and resold.

I also set time to watch TV too...but mine is watching the Discovery+ channel and all those shows there, along with watching all the YouTube channels that shows all the Abandoned Places.....