Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2023, 08:04 AM  
Veteran

Garmin KC Marathon Races (October 21, 2023)

Anyone planning to run one of the four Garmin KC Marathon races (5k, 10k, half-marathon, full marathon) this upcoming Saturday? I'm going to be trying the full, which I also ran last year and enjoyed. There were several Bills fans running last year, in town for the Bills-Chiefs game the following day. Might see some Charger fans there this year.

https://www.sportkc.org/marathon

Last edited by DanT; 10-14-2023 at 08:18 AM..
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #61
Mortgage the Future Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Great weather in KC for the marathon this morning and I finished about 5 minutes faster than last year. I was hoping to beat 5:20 and I ended up beating 5:10.

I hope everyone that ran an event today had fun, especially if it was part of the Garmin KC Marathon set of races!
Really was great weather. How bad do your legs hurt trying to get up stairs? I can't even imagine.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Really was great weather. How bad do your legs hurt trying to get up stairs? I can't even imagine.
They’re pretty cranky, but they will feel better in a day or so. Running down the last hill, on 51st Street to Brookside, was a little rough!😂

Did you have a fun race?
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
They’re pretty cranky, but they will feel better in a day or so. Running down the last hill, on 51st Street to Brookside, was a little rough!��

Did you have a fun race?
I liked it. I just like competing. It was my first 5k but the race distance was indeed off and longer. The map said 3.25 miles so I expected it. When I got done my Garmin watch had 3.23 miles. I started my watch right as I crossed the starting line...which in itself took forever to get to since we were packed in there like cattle so my first mile was really slow. I ran it in 27:37 but it would have been faster if it was a true 5 kilometers.

That thing is quite an event. I probably bit off more than I can chew. I'm not a very good runner but there were professional looking people everywhere. Tents everywhere. Vendors. It was quite the deal. Next year I plan to either get there early or watch the end of the marathon finish to really soak it in.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #64
Veteran

Quote:
I liked it. I just like competing. It was my first 5k but the race distance was indeed off and longer. The map said 3.25 miles so I expected it. When I got done my Garmin watch had 3.23 miles. I started my watch right as I crossed the starting line...which in itself took forever to get to since we were packed in there like cattle so my first mile was really slow. I ran it in 27:37 but it would have been faster if it was a true 5 kilometers.

That thing is quite an event. I probably bit off more than I can chew. I'm not a very good runner but there were professional looking people everywhere. Tents everywhere. Vendors. It was quite the deal. Next year I plan to either get there early or watch the end of the marathon finish to really soak it in.
You did great! Congratulations!
Keep us posted on your next event!
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #65
Diablo Negro

Quote:

Very cool but remember for future reference almost no race is exact distance and GPS watches aren’t perfectly accurate either.

Most races just want to make sure they aren’t short because it disqualifies any times for records and believe it or not state records for age and gender happen at events all the time. So if anything they go a bit long rather than risk being short.
Plus it’s just hard to make a course that hits exact distances anyway.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Very cool but remember for future reference almost no race is exact distance and GPS watches aren’t perfectly accurate either.

Most races just want to make sure they aren’t short because it disqualifies any times for records and believe it or not state records for age and gender happen at events all the time. So if anything they go a bit long rather than risk being short.
Plus it’s just hard to make a course that hits exact distances anyway.
If you have a separate starting line and finishing line it should be easy to get it CLOSE and they wouldnt even be that far apart. My watch is never off by more than .01 in a 3.1 mile area. Ive tested it from my to mile post as well compared to a different device for most accuracy. I would think you could get it within .02 miles either way.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #67
Diablo Negro

Quote:
If you have a separate starting line and finishing line it should be easy to get it CLOSE and they wouldnt even be that far apart. My watch is never off by more than .01 in a 3.1 mile area. Ive tested it from my to mile post as well compared to a different device for most accuracy. I would think you could get it within .02 miles either way.
I’ve ran thousands of miles using a GPS watch with other people
wearing GPS watches and they rarely match completely. They are accurate but your concept of accuracy being within .02 over 3.1 miles being some standard is dead wrong.

Something as simple as how you swing your arm when your run can change the accuracy. Elevation changes affect accuracy as well.

Then there is the concept of how you run taking when your turns etc….

But hey don’t listen to me I obviously have no clue about any of this.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
I’ve ran thousands of miles using a GPS watch with other people
wearing GPS watches and they rarely match completely. They are accurate but your concept of accuracy being within .02 over 3.1 miles being some standard is dead wrong.

Something as simple as how you swing your arm when your run can change the accuracy. Elevation changes affect accuracy as well.

Then there is the concept of how you run taking when your turns etc….

But hey don’t listen to me I obviously have no clue about any of this.

I don't think I must be explaining myself very well. I believe devices can be off but my point is the course was simply too long even compared to the margin of error on any device. .01 or .02 miles is one thing but a .13 or .14 difference over 3.1 miles is a bunch. It was just disappointing it was so much longer than I had hoped.

I'm just providing my experiences and testing I've done with my device. Not trying to argue. I used to use a device that was not very accurate and had a margin of error higher than my S62 Garmin so I switched. Certainly agree different devices will be off a tad. Based on the link of the course map of the 5k it ends up saying it is 3.25 miles. As a seasoned runner like yourself .14 or .15 difference is not a big deal to you but as a shitty runner like myself it is a big deal.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/130702713

I ran a 5k course a couple weeks ago based on the map and it came out at almost exactly 5 kilometers on my watch. Thats all I can tell you.

Last edited by BWillie; Yesterday at 10:42 PM..
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #69
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

I'm going to try to do the 5k at the next KC run. I've been meaning to since 2022 but always end up being extremely lazy in September/October for some reason.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
I'm going to try to do the 5k at the next KC run. I've been meaning to since 2022 but always end up being extremely lazy in September/October for some reason.
Have you done any other 5ks around town? Was wondering what any other good ones they have around town. I'd kind of like to do one either downtown KC or in some nature setting.
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #71
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

Quote:
Have you done any other 5ks around town? Was wondering what any other good ones they have around town. I'd kind of like to do one either downtown KC or in some nature setting.
I've never done any type of organized run. There's one in Lee's summit next weekend around Longview college. That might get into the woods/lake area.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.