Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2022, 06:57 PM  
sorta mod-ish

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-27-2024, 05:06 PM   #496
sorta mod-ish

Ethan Peck as Spock was inspired casting, lol

Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-27-2024, 05:21 PM   #497
New and Improved

"Four and a half Vulcans to beam down."
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-27-2024, 05:31 PM   #498
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

Gregory Peck's Grandson
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 05:32 PM   #499
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumppy View Post
"Four and a half Vulcans to beam down."
The look Spock shoots Pike
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #500
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

The scene where they were walking down the hall really cried out for the Kill Bill music.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:45 PM   #501
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

No more Musical episodes, okay, SNW? Can we get on the same page there?

It does tend to get a little TOO lighthearted at time; little too jokey. The tone is all over the place. But that's about the only complaint I have about it.

The crossover episode with Below Decks was pretty damn funny. And there were a few killer episodes in there. It's just that they get pretty goofy at times (the Spock body switch episode, for instance).

Looking forward to S3.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #502
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It does tend to get a little TOO lighthearted at time; little too jokey. The tone is all over the place. But that's about the only complaint I have about it.
That's definitely intentional but I can't say I have a problem with it. Trek traditionally has never been serious all of the time (other than Discovery which was absolute dreck).
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Today, 01:54 PM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Connection View Post
That's definitely intentional but I can't say I have a problem with it. Trek traditionally has never been serious all of the time (other than Discovery which was absolute dreck).
I can't say that I've seen every episode of the OS (though I might have; used to watch them after school) and I don't remember them being quite that cheesy even at their goofiest. Then again, time probably has something to do with that; I gotta imagine the tribble episode was seen as goofball dreck before it was seen as a classic.

I watched most of TNG over time and certainly don't remember that kind of tonal shift. It seemed to be the most high-minded of all of them. I would've been surprised if those folks would debase themselves. Then again, the Sherlock episodes weren't exactly super serious. So yeah, maybe you're right.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #504
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I can't say that I've seen every episode of the OS (though I might have; used to watch them after school) and I don't remember them being quite that cheesy even at their goofiest. Then again, time probably has something to do with that; I gotta imagine the tribble episode was seen as goofball dreck before it was seen as a classic.

I watched most of TNG over time and certainly don't remember that kind of tonal shift. It seemed to be the most high-minded of all of them. I would've been surprised if those folks would debase themselves. Then again, the Sherlock episodes weren't exactly super serious. So yeah, maybe you're right.
TOS was full of cheese (Tribbles was an example of it where it was done quite well, but there were plenty of episodes where it wasn't).

And I think you'd be surprised on a rewatch of TNG just how many light episodes of it there actually were (for just one example, there was one episode late in the series which consisted of several of the characters being transformed into children). Those generally aren't my favorite, but I think there is a time and a place for them.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #505
Perpetual Mediocrity

Old Today, 02:14 PM   #506
Perpetual Mediocrity

This ridiculous episode at least gave us this Worf line.
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #507
Veteran

The difference is the characters used to take themselves seriously. In fact a lot of the humor is derived from taking those serious characters and putting them in a ridiculous situation (see both examples above). Now all the characters are quippy dumbasses. In some ways this show is more of a cartoon than Lower Decks. At least Lower Decks takes their plots seriously.

Last edited by Jamie; Today at 03:56 PM..
Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #508
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The difference is the characters used to take themselves seriously. If fact a lot of the humor is derived from taking those serious characters and putting them in a ridiculous situation (see both examples above). Now all the characters are quippy dumbasses. In some ways this show is more of a cartoon as Lower Decks. At least Lower Decks takes their plots seriously.
If you don't think this show is capable of being serious (and doing it well), I'd suggest watching the finale of S1 again.
Old Today, 02:50 PM   #509
Perpetual Mediocrity

I also personally liked the Klingon defector episode best of S2 (with one of the darker endings Trek has ever done), but the Lower Decks comedy crossover was also great. Couldn't be much tonally different than those two (back-to-back) episodes and they worked very well for different reasons.
Old Today, 03:06 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Connection View Post
I also personally liked the Klingon defector episode best of S2 (with one of the darker endings Trek has ever done), but the Lower Decks comedy crossover was also great. Couldn't be much tonally different than those two (back-to-back) episodes and they worked very well for different reasons.
Yeah, the defector one was outstanding. The sort of Its a Wonderful Life episode where Pike gets the visit from his future self was really good as well, IMO.

Definitely more good than bad, don't get me wrong. Probably my favorite Trek show (I still prefer the two newer reboot movies to anything else in the Trek universe, though -- they're just really good).