Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Today, 06:03 PM  
Life is changing..

What do you / don't you want to hear from a candidate in an interview?

As I've moved up in my company, I'm less involved in the hiring process for new employees.

I kind of miss it though. The good interviews. The bad ones. The absolute train wrecks.

Anyway, what are things you like to hear from candidates? What don't you want to hear people talk about?
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:07 PM   #2
Starter

I was responsible for hiring two shifts of call center agents for a few years. One thing I liked asking prospective employees was if they did any gaming. This wasn't something that was a deal breaker either way, but if they did play video or computer games, it was a point in their favor.

My reasoning is that I needed my agents to be able to think and react quickly, be able to communicate problems and come up with solutions on the fly, problem solve, and be comfortable navigating through computer programs and screens quickly. Video game players, by and large, tend to posses those skills more than the non-gamer population. I can always teach my new agents the information they need to know to do the job, but I can't teach them to be able to think and act quickly and precisely.
kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:17 PM   #3
MVP

Ugh, I'm usually on the other side and have seen and heard it all from interviewers lol

Here are a few to avoid if you are the interviewer:

1) We're like "family" here...gross.
2) We like to keep our team "hungry"...worse.
3) I sent you a facebook invite...go **** yourself!

Also, at this point in my career if I hear anyone try to explain their "management style" to me you've already completely lost my interest, I want to work "with you" NOT "for you."

Here's a question, similar to the video game one above, that I like to ask in the business world on either side of the interview process: "What are you reading?" Folks don't just tell you the name of the book unless it's extremely well known, they'll tell you what it's about and why they chose to read it. This conversation get's you away from just the job and work related skills and helps you understand how well they communicate, can they tell a compelling story, what their motivations or interests are, and gives you some insight into their persona.

Last edited by Couch-Potato; Today at 06:27 PM..
Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:23 PM   #4
I Like The Kansas City Chiefs

I do not like it when the candidates are not fans of the Kansas City Chiefs.
smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:25 PM   #5
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato View Post
Ugh, I'm usually on the other side and have seen and heard it all from interviewers lol

Here are a few to avoid if you are the interviewer:

1) We're like "family" here...gross.
2) We like to keep our team "hungry"...worse.
3) I sent you a facebook invite...go **** yourself!

Also, at this point in my career if I hear anyone try to explain their "Management style" to me you've already completely lost my interest, I want to work "with you" NOT "for you."
I'll also add

"We're looking to shift the paradigm, here"
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #6
Choco Favre

If you could eat at Lulee's with one of the following, would it be A: Jesus, B: Muhammad, or C: Golda Meir?
New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.New World Order is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #7
The pizza king of kansas

I want to hear I will **** up but I always fix my **** ups and overcome
big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.big nasty kcnut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #8
Back-to-Back-to-Back.......

I would not like to find out that they got their previous job from a friend or family.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:35 PM   #9
It was not a fair catch

Dont ask---How flexible are you on the 2:30 dismissal time?

(We did not hire her)
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:37 PM   #10
It was not a fair catch

I want people to be honest. I have sat in on a lot of interviews, had some that felt like a sales pitch, not for themselves, but for insurance. Didnt really talk about classroom things.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:39 PM   #11
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by New World Order View Post
If you could eat at Lulee's with one of the following, would it be A: Jesus, B: Muhammad, or C: Golda Meir?
LOL - This is great.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:52 PM   #12
You're CARICATURES, ALL of you

When I'm interviewing a candidate and all I'm getting are vague banalities that anyone applying for a position would have on a resume. It gets worse when I ask for specifics and the vagueness continues or gets worse.
KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #13
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzman555 View Post
I was responsible for hiring two shifts of call center agents for a few years. One thing I liked asking prospective employees was if they did any gaming. This wasn't something that was a deal breaker either way, but if they did play video or computer games, it was a point in their favor.

My reasoning is that I needed my agents to be able to think and react quickly, be able to communicate problems and come up with solutions on the fly, problem solve, and be comfortable navigating through computer programs and screens quickly. Video game players, by and large, tend to posses those skills more than the non-gamer population. I can always teach my new agents the information they need to know to do the job, but I can't teach them to be able to think and act quickly and precisely.
And played video games on your network
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:11 PM   #14
The Maintenance Guy

I don't want to them to answer their phone when it rings.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:20 PM   #15
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
I don't want to them to answer their phone when it rings.
Only an idiot has the ringer on during an interview.