__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
"I'm not a fan of Veach's tier aproach"

-hosted 3 straight AFCCG
-won SB54
-went to back to back SB's
-wiped out all team weaknesses in 2 months
-team is well set with the cap situation for the forseeable future.

Yeah, Direckshun

Thanks for weighing in!
Can we please dispense with the idea that Veach is above criticism?

We likely have two Super Bowls at this point if Veach had added a single defensive playmaker in 2018. His draft was horrendous. And he's made several goofs here and there that many of us called at the time.

Also: he hasn't "wiped out all team weaknesses." WE HAVE ONE STARTING DEFENSIVE END ON THE ROSTER.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Also: he hasn't "wiped out all team weaknesses." WE HAVE ONE STARTING DEFENSIVE END ON THE ROSTER.
Oh, I hadn't realized that the time for signing free agents is over.

It's really too bad that they won't be able to add any defensive ends via free agency, player-for-player trades or the waiver wire before the season begins in September.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Oh, I hadn't realized that the time for signing free agents is over.

It's really too bad that they won't be able to add any defensive ends via free agency, player-for-player trades or the waiver wire before the season begins in September.
The odds of landing a starting DE in a player-for-player trade is just... it's not great. Same with the waiver wire.

Your best shot is with the remaining DE market. There are some DEs still on the board, which is fine and all, but keep in mind the depth issue at DE will persist well after this season.

Frank Clark is cuttable in 2022. You save $13m if you do.

Putting a finger in the dam with Ingram or Ansah or Kerrigan is unlikely to fix that.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
Supporter

The Jaguars paying Andrew Norvell was dumb. They didn’t have a franchise QB or great tackles or even a great running back.

The Chiefs paying Joe Thuney was smart. He’s a multiple Super Bowl champion who blocked for the best QB in NFL history and checks all of the boxes in terms of leadership, pass blocking, run blocking and experience.

As early as next season (and maybe even this season), Thuney will be the most senior of all of the offensive lineman and the Chiefs are smartly paying for a guy who’s been around the Super Bowl block and help to mold these guys into consistent champions.

He’s worth every single penny.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
In Search of a Life

The Chiefs got 3 guys that were legitimately in the 1st round conversation earlier in the process without a 1st round pick.

Direckshun : “I’m not a fan of Veach’s approach”
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
The Chiefs got 3 guys that were legitimately in the 1st round conversation earlier in the process without a 1st round pick.

Direckshun : “I’m not a fan of Veach’s approach”
Hey I'm 100% on board with Tre Smith. Literally said so in the OP.

I don't think we got the most bang for our buck, though, which is not exactly earth shattering news. We've seen Veach do that for entire drafts.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
In Search of a Life

Terrace Marshall- clearly injury concerns there. We don’t know the medical situation. Maybe give them and all of the other teams that passed on him the benefit of the doubt?

Ronnie Perkins- they clearly didn’t feel he was a fit and it’s easy to see why. He doesn’t fit the profile of a Spags DE at all.

Dyami Brown- based on who the Chiefs went after in free agency, and who they went with in the draft, it’s obvious that they were looking for a type. They wanted somebody big and physical.

Carlos Basham- another guy that doesn’t seem to fit what they’re looking for at the position. They want true defensive ends, not guys that you’re going to need to slide inside to get a pass rush from. We have Jones, Reed, and Wharton. We don’t need more interior pass rush, we need guys that can consistently win outside on the edge.

All of those guys are good players and were guys I liked, but it’s easy to see why the Chiefs went in the direction they did when you actually pay attention and listen as opposed to thinking you know bette than the guys that just went to back to back SB’s and rebuilt their OL in a way any of us could’ve only dreamed of.

Call it an appeal of authority all you want Direckshun, but you aren’t very good at this even as a fan on a forum, so it’s extremely laughable how you continue to question the best in the business at every turn. It’s embarrassing and cringy.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
__

Quote:
Terrace Marshall- clearly injury concerns there. We don’t know the medical situation. Maybe give them and all of the other teams that passed on him the benefit of the doubt?

Ronnie Perkins- they clearly didn’t feel he was a fit and it’s easy to see why. He doesn’t fit the profile of a Spags DE at all.

Dyami Brown- based on who the Chiefs went after in free agency, and who they went with in the draft, it’s obvious that they were looking for a type. They wanted somebody big and physical.

Carlos Basham- another guy that doesn’t seem to fit what they’re looking for at the position. They want true defensive ends, not guys that you’re going to need to slide inside to get a pass rush from. We have Jones, Reed, and Wharton. We don’t need more interior pass rush, we need guys that can consistently win outside on the edge.

All of those guys are good players and were guys I liked, but it’s easy to see why the Chiefs went in the direction they did when you actually pay attention and listen as opposed to thinking you know bette than the guys that just went to back to back SB’s and rebuilt their OL in a way any of us could’ve only dreamed of.
I am not beholden to the direction the Chiefs want to go, and I don't have to defer to it. We've seen Brett Veach screw up draft picks, free agents, and entire draft classes. He's done a good job but your argument that he's above reproach is silly, nor does it lend itself to much more than groupthink.

But I don't really care about arguments about "Spags types" as much as I used to -- Mike Danna and Melvin Ingram interest have deflated me of that.

I do agree there has been a Spags type, though, and Perkins falls comfortably outside of it, but Basham was built for it. Strongside muscle with the ability to flex inside during obvious passing situations is exactly what Spags has asked of our guys in the past. I don't know why this is breaking news.

Our WR room is getting awfully stale in a hurry with Robinson, Hardman, and Pringle. Maybe one of these guys can take a step but after the Super Bowl I just watched, I cannot commit to any of them as WR2's, and there aren't any left in FA. We are now at the mercy of what other teams are willing to discard, when we had a front row seat to two very talented WRs.

But that's alright, because we spent 58 on a two-down linebacker and a center who will give you somewhat better play than the center we already had.

I don't want to re-live Super Bowl LV again. This draft made a step in the right direction, but it could have made a leap.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:06 PM
A Salt Weapon
This message has been deleted by DaFace. Reason: BS politics for no reason
Old 05-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #11
In Search of a Life

We got to the ****ing SB with Tanoh and Okafor at DE. They were way down the list of reasons we lost.

How exactly did we get so much worse there that we aren’t a savvy free agent addition now or after cuts away from being perfectly fine?

Are Danna, Taco, Ward, and Kaindoh THAT much worse?

Taco and Ward showed more flashes last year than those guys did. There’s much more upside there at the very least.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be signing somebody like Ingram, Houston, or Kerrigan. I’m sure we will add a veteran starter at some point. When has Veach ever stopped working on the roster?
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #12
__

Quote:
We got to the ****ing SB with Tanoh and Okafor at DE. They were way down the list of reasons we lost.

How exactly did we get so much worse there that we aren’t a savvy free agent addition now or after cuts away from being perfectly fine?

Are Danna, Taco, Ward, and Kaindoh THAT much worse?

Taco and Ward showed more flashes last year than those guys did. There’s much more upside there at the very least.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be signing somebody like Ingram, Houston, or Kerrigan. I’m sure we will add a veteran starter at some point. When has Veach ever stopped working on the roster?
I have a different itemization as you as to why we lost the Super Bowl.

Pretty high up the list is that we couldn't get pressure on Brady.

So to answer your question: they're not that much worse. Are they that much better?
Old 05-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #13
Rufus Dawes Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
I have a different itemization as you as to why we lost the Super Bowl.

Pretty high up the list is that we couldn't get pressure on Brady.

So to answer your question: they're not that much worse. Are they that much better?
I think we lost because we couldn't score...

The Chiefs put so much pressure on other teams to score points, its the only game I've seen with Mahomes at QB that our opponent didn't deal with the pressure to keep scoring points.
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
In Search of a Life

Also, I love how people ignore that pass rush is a unit thing, and Reed has certainly given us a huge upgrade there.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #15
__

Quote:
Also, I love how people ignore that pass rush is a unit thing, and Reed has certainly given us a huge upgrade there.
Agreed.

Edit: But I swear to god, if our lack of investment at DE2 means we have to put Chris Jones there, then we're officially downgrading at two spots.