Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 PM  
In Search of a Life

Another Dune movie in the works

Give it up already. Some things just weren't meant to be made into movies.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/directo...nvisions-a.php
Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel Dune—which spawned five sequels in Herbert's lifetime and prequels after his death—has been problematic for filmmakers, but that's not stopping director Peter Berg from developing a new movie he plans to direct.

Director David Lynch famously had problems adapting the sprawling book in 1984. Syfy's 2000 miniseries adaptation did a bit better in terms of audience and critical reception, but Berg feels there's still room for a new feature film.

"I think I had a much more different experience, I think, with the book than David Lynch did," Berg said in an exclusive interview on last week at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Pasadena, Calif., where he was promoting his Wayne Gretzky documentary for ESPN. "To me, I think my interpretation will feel significantly different from that and the [Syfy] Channel miniseries that aired. I have a different experience than both of those filmmakers did."

Lynch's film focused in part on the politics of the feuding houses of Herbert's novel, who contend while trying to control the flow of melange, the spice that facilitates space travel, which is found only on the desert planet of Arrakis.

Berg sees the story more as an epic adventure. "[The book] was much more muscular and adventurous, more violent and possibly even a little bit more fun," Berg said. "I think those are all elements of my experience of the book that can be brought in without offending the die-hard fans of the Bene Gesserit and Kwisatz Haderach. There's a more dynamic film to be made."

Before Berg can direct, a filmable Dune script just has to be finished within Berg's scheduling parameters. "I'm finishing this [documentary] now, we're editing it now," he said. "I think it's going to be in the Toronto Film Festival. [I'm] working now on getting Friday Night Lights up for the new season and getting Dune up and running. I'm working all the time."
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29

excellent. didn't care for the scifi channel version.

The Lynch movie was excellent. Of course it turned off women and non scifi lovers which is great.
googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.googlegoogle < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Well, he's certainly a better choice than that goddamn butcher Lynch and with modern CGI and a real budget, he might do a decent job.

I seriously doubt, however, if anyone could direct Dune to a level I would consider worthy of the source material.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
I'll be back.

I think the SciFi channel got it right.

No need for this.

I'll check it out anyway.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Say hello to my little friend

It's a bad idea. It's always been a bad idea.
Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegoogle View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29

excellent. didn't care for the scifi channel version.

The Lynch movie was excellent. Of course it turned off women and non scifi lovers which is great.

The Lynch movie was a blight upon the face of existence. If I ever meet that rotten bastard the least I'll do is spit in his face.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazod View Post
I seriously doubt, however, if anyone could direct Dune to a level I would consider worthy of the source material.
That's sort of my feelings as well. Of course, I felt the same way about LotR, but Jackson knocked it out of the park. Maybe someone will do the same with Dune, but (as evidenced by my commentary in the initial post) am skeptical.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPhin View Post
That's sort of my feelings as well. Of course, I felt the same way about LotR, but Jackson knocked it out of the park. Maybe someone will do the same with Dune, but (as evidenced by my commentary in the initial post) am skeptical.
There is so much to Dune that is important to the story that IMO simply could not be properly expressed in a movie without really dumbing it down. I guess I would prefer it if they didn't even try.

Anybody who watches it and is confused should read the book.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
You Sweetie!

Quote:

The Lynch movie was a blight upon the face of existence. If I ever meet that rotten bastard the least I'll do is spit in his face.
That's how i feel about Pujols. So...
Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
You Sweetie!

Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
You Sweetie!

src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rEyPa8qkCXQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
Old 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Red View Post
He defiled the greatest novel of its genre. There is nothing he can ever do to atone for that.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
Veteran

I think I'm gonna read the book soon..
Wa-Z is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Wa-Z is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Wa-Z is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Wa-Z is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Starter

Quote:
He defiled the greatest novel of its genre. There is nothing he can ever do to atone for that.
Inland Empire is his best work, but it takes 1.5 hours before it starts to heat up, Oh man the brunettes in that dream-sequence are truly the sexiest.
Bi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBi_polar is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Amateur Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa-Z View Post
I think I'm gonna read the book soon..

Do it. You will not regret it.
Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.