Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2019, 07:09 PM  
Gimme My Berries Back!

There has to be some green thumbs here, since there are farmers on here to help.

I finally have had success growing a basil plant after consulting a horticulturalist working next door on a neighbors yard which has all kinds of odd-looking plants instead of a lawn.

I moved it away from my herbs and put it in dappled-light as recommended. It's blossomed.

Now I am going away for 7 days, leaving tomorrow afternoon. So I am asking this a bit late. There's only one place I have a window with good sunlight but then there's the need for water. I can't leave it outside, because we've been getting some heavy rains and it will yellow which it has a bit already because I forgot about leaving it out.

So I am thinking of putting a large pan of water by that window setting the pot on it with a rack under it hoping the evaporation might prevent it from dying.

Will that work? Any ideas.

I also have as small skylight over my kitchen table but it's way up there to far away and the window gets more light but it is morning light mainly.

Plus I have an airline question too—next post.
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Baba Ganoush

You should post this on Reddit

r/landscape
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Gimme My Berries Back!

So the hurricane did not get Jacksonville but as it moves up the coast, how does it affect flights out of Jacksonville Florida that go to NYC before going to Calgary?

I know a flight from NYC could get cancelled if hitting there at the time of a flight departure, But what if the storm hasn't hit there yet. Can a pilot fly a jet above a hurricane?
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Gimme My Berries Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In58men View Post
You should post this on Reddit

r/landscape
I'm not on reddit and don't want to be. I've see questions like this here before. In fact I had one of what kind of sand to use in a vase full of water without it getting murky. Got a great tip that worked too.

Honestly, I almost put this under Life. And I am asking a bit too late, as I am nearly out of time.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Supporter

I think there is an easy solution.

Poke a couple of small holes in a water/soda bottle, fill it, put the cap on and bury the lid end into the soil and it should dribble for a while. Use small holes in the neck of the lid end.

I could also see a block of ice or a frozen 2liter bottle with the holes as above to slow the dribble.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Starter

Watering bulb should solve the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=watering+...f=nb_sb_noss_1
excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.excessive is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
Gimme My Berries Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I think there is an easy solution.

Poke a couple of small holes in a water/soda bottle, fill it, put the cap on and bury the lid end into the soil and it should dribble for a while. Use small holes.
I saw some tubes that can be used to insert like online that are sold at nurseries but didn't have time to go out and shop again. Had enough runnin' around to do already.

Never thought about making a homemade one. Pin size holes?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Gimme My Berries Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excessive View Post
Watering bulb should solve the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=watering+...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Don't have time to order them right now. Leave tomorrow afternoon.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Would give you a green thumb but they aren't allowed in a OP apparently
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Supporter

I know people who use a similar method outdoors with buckets to have steady water for large pumpkins.

Bee keepers use a similar method for sugar water feeders. Drill a few small holes below the water line in the bottom side of the lid. It leaks at first but then develops suction that only allows it to dribble when the outside flipped is removed.

I'm thinking freezing the water first slows the melting and water available to drain the gain you a couple of days.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Gimme My Berries Back!

I wonder if a 16 ozs water bottle, which I have is too much water?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #12
Fish are scared of me

I would think you could set the pot in the pan of water to let it soak into the soil slowly. Just don't put too much water.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
I wonder if a 16 ozs water bottle, which I have is too much water?
I wouldn't think so but I'm not a professional gardener by any means. Make the holes, fill the bottle, freeze it and then stick it in there before you leave.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #14
Fish are scared of me

Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #15
Cool as a Cucumber

Iowanians idea is the way to go. You can use an ice pick to poke the holes, you don't want them any bigger than that and not a lot of them either. Ideally your soil will be moist enough and bottle deep enough that the water only comes out as the soil dries and pulls away from the holes allowing water back into the soil. You do not want to leave it sitting directly in water, that will only encourage root rot and soil diseases. Setting it in a tray of rocks with water is another option. As far as light just put it in the brightest location in the house, it'll be fine for a week.
KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.