Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Which Interstate would you choose for your road trip?
I-27 - 7 days, 124 miles through TX 1 5.00%
I-70 - 15 days, 2,151 miles through MD, PA, WV, OH, IN, IL, MO, KS, CO, and UT 12 60.00%
I-14 - 7 days, 25 miles through TX 0 0%
I-91 - 7 days, 290 miles through CT, MA, and VT 6 30.00%
I'll stay home, thanks. 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2020, 01:52 PM  
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Interstate Road Trip Tournament, Round 1, Heat 16.

Just a little offseason exercise. There are 80 different Interstate highways in the USA (including Puerto Rico). Which one would be best for a road trip?

I've set the rules as follows (in spoiler for those of you who've read them already]:

Spoiler!

Your next four competitors are:

Option 1 - I27 from Lubbock, TX, to Amarillo, TX
7 Day Trip
124 Miles, 18 miles per day on average
Passes through the town of Happy, Texas, which sounds really fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_27

Option 2 - I70 from Cove Fort, UT, to Baltimore, MD
15 Day Trip
2,151 miles, 143 miles per day on average
Passes through Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Columbus, with a jaunt over the Continental Divide at 11,000 feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70

Option 3 - I14 from Copperas Cove, TX, to Belton TX
7 Day Trip
25 miles, 4 miles per day on average
Passes through Fort Hood and Killeen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_14

Option 4 - I91 from New Haven, CT, to Derby Line, VT
7 Day Trip
290 miles, 41 miles per day on average
Passes through Hartford, Springfield, and Brattleboro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_91

As an interesting note, there's a sign outside Baltimore that offers a mileage estimate to Cove Fort. I'm a little disappointed that they rounded the numbers off.

Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

That I-14 is one of the more unusual interstates. Apparently it's Phase 1 of a much longer one, but for now it's just in the middle of Texas connecting cities that aren't very large. Not a lot of reason to road trip that one.

I-27 is nice to drive through, but I don't need a week. That's a lot of steak and potatos.

I-91 would be interesting, I think. I've never been in that area.

However, I've got to go with I-70. I'm not sure that it's the most amazing drive, but it would be a pretty classic cross-country road trip. Rent a nice car, cruise for a four hours every second day and then spend two nights in whatever places strike my fancy.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
legend

Considering that I have the i-70 symbol tattooed on myself, that was my vote and who I am rooting for for the whole shebangabang.
KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
legend

Also....

Official Shameless Advertisement

Tonight at 11pm Central Time,
our heroes at Romper Room Talk Radio
face their biggest challenge yet.
Don't miss part one of the long awaited Situation Trilogy
WITH A VERY SPECIAL GUEST
TONIGHT in the Romper Room.

Last edited by KurtCobain; 04-10-2020 at 08:40 PM..
KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCobain View Post
Considering that I have the i-70 symbol tattooed on myself, that was my vote and who I am rooting for for the whole shebangabang.
I have a friend who was raised in Indianapolis, then moved to St. Louis, then Columbus OH, then Denver, and now lives a bit outside Baltimore. We've postulated that she has some sort of instinctive rule that she has to live along I-70.

What's your affinity to I-70?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I have a friend who was raised in Indianapolis, then moved to St. Louis, then Columbus OH, then Denver, and now lives a bit outside Baltimore. We've postulated that she has some sort of instinctive rule that she has to live along I-70.

What's your affinity to I-70?
It runs through Independence, Missouri and takes you to Odessa, Missouri. That is a trip I took every weekend for most of my childhood. Also as a teenager fresh with a vehicle, I spent a lot of time exploring all the small towns between Kansas City and St Louis off of I70. I really do love that highway.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #7
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCobain View Post
It runs through Independence, Missouri and takes you to Odessa, Missouri. That is a trip I took every weekend for most of my childhood. Also as a teenager fresh with a vehicle, I spent a lot of time exploring all the small towns between Kansas City and St Louis off of I70. I really do love that highway.
I was raised in Missouri, but we weren't near the I-70 corridor. I don't think I was ever on that highway until I was an adult living in St. Louis. Now in Denver, I'm on it regularly going up to the mountains, and of course it's the main route if I go back to visit Missouri.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

I can only surmise many people have not driven I-70 from Limon to Topeka.

It is hell on earth.

70 through Illinois is also pretty much shite and unless they've changed some laws, it's unnecessarily slow.

via GIPHY

DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

It is hell on earth.

70 through Illinois is also pretty much shite and unless they've changed some laws, it's unnecessarily slow.
As far as interstates go, I don't mind that stretch. It's not congested and you have sweeping vistas all around you. Plus, there's an A&W in Hays, I think. I much prefer that over driving something that's more consistently busy.

I remember doing some drive up from southern Virginia to DC a few years back. My wife was with me, and we'd rented the car somewhere that was going to charge more to put her on as a driver. I said screw that and drove the whole way. It was not a fun drive. Constant heavy traffic the entire way that got worse with every mile. I really regretted not paying the extra money to add her as a driver.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
Sandbox: Leander Lasercats

While the drive along the border of NH and Vermont is probably really, really pretty in the fall, I still had to go with I-70. I have been on most of the western portion but not past Illinois. And my wife has never seen the Atlantic Ocean. This would be a chance for that to happen (although really just the Inner Harbor probably).
Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
Cynical Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

It is hell on earth.

via GIPHY

My grandfather did not like Limon, CO. He went through there driving on business on several occasions and he said that if he was going to give the world an enema, he would put the tip at Limon.

I'd go I-91. Never been in that area of the country much and it would be different.
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
MVP

Rainman,

As a big fan of Interstates, this is an awesome competition.
MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
New and Improved

CT thru VT

A trip through the Green Mtns. would be great. Along with a few side trips, one of which would be St Albans. Just for old times sake, got to spend a spring, summer, and fall there back in 1981. Definitely have to go during the fall.
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #14
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP View Post
Rainman,

As a big fan of Interstates, this is an awesome competition.
It's fun to imagine, particularly in our current non-traveling environment. It would be ideal to have off-interstate road trips, but that would be hard for me to pull off. Maybe we could have a tournament where people nominate 7-day road trips after this.