Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2008, 08:46 AM  
In Search of a Life

Flanagan: Glass likes way Royals are playing the game

Personally, Glass should be the last person to ask for advice on how to win a pennant.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...ry/570924.html

You won’t get Royals owner David Glass to gloat. Not yet at least.

But deep down inside, you know Glass is loving the fact that his small-market Royals with a payroll under $60 million have had their way with the big-spending Tigers — the Yankees of the Central Division — and the financially-bloated Yankees themselves.

As always, Glass is preaching the message of spending money wisely (something the Royals haven’t always done, mind you).

“It really comes down to the fundamentals,” Glass told me. “The Twins have proven over the years that (it’s not about payroll). If you execute and play the fundamentals and don’t beat yourselves, you can compete and you can win.

“What I have liked so far is that we’re not beating ourselves. Last year and the year before, you could sense that there were games we lost just because we beat ourselves. I think we’ll do a lot less of that this season.”

Trying to buy a pennant — something the Tigers obviously think they can do — isn’t necessarily the guaranteed route to go.

“Smaller markets can’t do financially what the bigger markets can do,” Glass said. “But we can compete if we execute. That’s why I really like our new manager and what he’s trying to accomplish.

“You take the players you have and get the most out of them and then if you need to possibly add another piece (in August), you can still do that.”

Guillen’s influence

Glass did drop $36 million on one piece to the puzzle — cleanup hitter Jose Guillen. So what does Glass think of that investment?

“I think he’s going to be fine,” Glass said, “and I think he’s going to end up being a good influence on our younger players. I really do.”
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Woman should only make babies

Please mr glass if we are contending late in the year add some pieces! It might be the best time!
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Special Teams ACE!!!

Is it can be print super bowl tix time now plz?
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Rock Chalk Jayhawks! KU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonpenz View Post
Please mr glass if we are contending late in the year add some pieces! It might be the best time!
Thats right Mr Glass and if you need help about how to aquire that savy vet that will push you over the top. Just call Queen Carl.. He knows so well about adding those final pieces to the puzzle..

How about we develop the talent we have?
Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #5

you can develop the talent all you want but you know the big boys are going to be buying bats for the playoff push. Maybe we can add bonds !
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Someone pass the antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonpenz View Post
you can develop the talent all you want but you know the big boys are going to be buying bats for the playoff push. Maybe we can add bonds !
I dont know why you guys didnt push harder to get him now.
MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Stay positive, don't give up

Seattle probably will get bonds, no one will touch him anyway and we got Butler at DH
Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #8

could you imagine bonds on the new jumbotron? His head would have been as big as epcot center
Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Veteran

bonds doesn't make any sense for the royals. a team that is a little short on talent and playing on chemistry doesn't need him. he's a black hole of chemistry.

plus, no team is going to bring in a guy who has felony charges hanging over his head. especially at the price he thinks he is worth.

i might be in the minority but i think that Bonds has played his last game.
markk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.markk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
oxymoron

I can't think of a player that would be a worse fit for KC than Bonds. Maybe we can get Canseco out of retirement.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk View Post
bonds doesn't make any sense for the royals. a team that is a little short on talent and playing on chemistry doesn't need him. he's a black hole of chemistry.
I disagree. Bonds would add a LOT of chemistry. He is practically a living walking chemistry laboratory.
alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.alnorth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Obligatory Thoughtcriminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
I disagree. Bonds would add a LOT of chemistry. He is practically a living walking chemistry laboratory.
Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.Adept Havelock is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #13

i was being dumb with the bonds comment (as if i need to do that anyway) but i would like to add another pitcher or bat somewhere if we are in contention
Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Someone pass the antifreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
I can't think of a player that would be a worse fit for KC than Bonds. Maybe we can get Canseco out of retirement.
Like him or not (I cant stand him) he puts butts in seats. AND is a legit superstar not to mention he would DRASTICLY improve your O. >>
MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MIAdragon has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAdragon View Post
Like him or not (I cant stand him) he puts butts in seats. AND is a legit superstar not to mention he would DRASTICLY improve your O. >>
I don't have a problem with Bonds. Like I said, I just can't think of a worse fit. He's a constant distraction with the media, he (purportedly) doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of mentoring younger players and I think he'd actually hurt the image of the franchise in this market, rather than "put butts in the seats". Not to mention he'd take at bats away from Billy Butler, which would be the last thing you want long term.

This isn't a franchise that's in a position to add a player like Bonds. If this was 2010 or 2011 and Butler/Gordon/Teahen/Moustakas/Hochevar/ Cortes/Lumsden/Grienke are established major leaguers for a contending Royals team, it would make sense. Right now it would be a short cut that would hurt the long-term growth of the Royals for a few home runs and (maybe) meaningless wins now.

They're going about it the right way.

As for the original article, I like the way they're playing now, too.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.