Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 AM  
MVP

How to cut the cord with older technology?

Need the Planet's brainpower on this one.

I'm sick and tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money for cable and internet.

Here's my problem - we have three TV's in the house - none of which have Smart TV technology and only one has HDMI. Said TV w/HDMI also runs the home theater speakers, which are run by an older Yamaha receiver - also without HDMI.

This means we've had to rely on some sort of cable or satellite box for either component video/audio on the older TVs or optical audio for the older plasma.

I'm starting to feel like the only option is to drop cash to update the TV's.

WTF are my options?

Sincerely,

Someone that doesn't have ridiculous tech skills.
OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Most Valuable Villain

Unless you want to go super high end.....TVs aren't ridiculously expensive now for what you get. Just bite the bullet and get new TVs.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Hello

Still going to need internet with the smart TV's. You can grab smart TV's pretty cheap and it's a one time purchase that will get you through many years. Then add Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime or whatever you want.

You'd be getting rid out outdated TV's and your cable portion of your bill. If you use the reddit streams you can watch any sport/game you want to on that smart TV as well.
Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 View Post
Need the Planet's brainpower on this one.

I'm sick and tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money for cable and internet.

Here's my problem - we have three TV's in the house - none of which have Smart TV technology and only one has HDMI. Said TV w/HDMI also runs the home theater speakers, which are run by an older Yamaha receiver - also without HDMI.

This means we've had to rely on some sort of cable or satellite box for either component video/audio on the older TVs or optical audio for the older plasma.

I'm starting to feel like the only option is to drop cash to update the TV's.

WTF are my options?

Sincerely,

Someone that doesn't have ridiculous tech skills.
idk, but my son's TV recently died and i picked up a brand new TCL "smart TV" off Amazon for about $250 and fee shipping. IIRC, it's a 49" 1080 L.E.D with Roku etc built in. I've had no complaints.

Maybe it's just time, dude.
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Kind of a mod

You can get a Roku at least that can use a composite output.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-...dp/B01M2AJZ5P/
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
idk, but my son's TV recently died and i picked up a brand new TCL "smart TV" off Amazon for about $250 and fee shipping. IIRC, it's a 49" 1080 L.E.D with Roku etc built in. I've had no complaints.

Maybe it's just time, dude.
I've got two TCLs in my house and I've had no complaints about them. The kids love Roku and it's easy for them to figure out and use....plus it's one remote.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It might not be super techie, the latest and greatest or a major name brand (Though TCL has been coming up through the years).

But it's $250 w/ free shipping and IMO, the clarity is outstanding. It's certainly better than the 8 year old Panasonic Plasma that it replaced. And it feels like it weighs less than 10lbs.
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
El Gato Gordo Loco

I pay $179 for Cable, internet. I have a second internet connection that is $30. Netflix $12. Amazon Prime Video $120 a year I think. Then a buddy of mine has a streaming movie & show thing thru Plex on Roku that is better than all of them, and it's free. Also have YouTubeTV $45 a month (which is pretty awesome) because one of my rentals I pay for the utilities.

Last edited by BWillie; 04-18-2019 at 11:59 AM..
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Kind of a mod

You could also look into converters, though I can't personally vouch for how well they work.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Compone...dp/B01F6URXYY/
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
You could also look into converters, though I can't personally vouch for how well they work.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Compone...dp/B01F6URXYY/
Ive used one and it sucked shit. Couldn't get any signal through it. Maybe i bought a bad product.

I also tried using an HDMI multi-port switch. That sucked too.

But that was years and years ago.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
MVP

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I could use YouTube TV for content (along with current Netflix sub) put a Roku Express on the two older TV's, and use the XBox1 on the plasma.

I think the only channel I'd really be missing out on is NFLN.
OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:

That's what i thought too. But you won't miss it.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I could use YouTube TV for content (along with current Netflix sub) put a Roku Express on the two older TV's, and use the XBox1 on the plasma.

Yep. I use my Xbox One for a media center. Works great (though I do somewhat prefer an actual remote over the controller, but whatever).

Just note that the Roku Express won't put out an HD signal over composite, so depending on how old we're talking on the older TVs, that could be a drawback.

If you do go the Express Plus route, it's cheaper at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Expr...ALUE/369278616
Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:

Haven't had NFLN in almost a year and I don't miss it.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
In Search of a Life

Buy an HD antenna for local HD channels. There are usually quite a few local channels out there if you live near a major city.
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.