Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 PM  
In Search of a Life

Another Dune movie in the works

Give it up already. Some things just weren't meant to be made into movies.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/directo...nvisions-a.php
Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel Dune—which spawned five sequels in Herbert's lifetime and prequels after his death—has been problematic for filmmakers, but that's not stopping director Peter Berg from developing a new movie he plans to direct.

Director David Lynch famously had problems adapting the sprawling book in 1984. Syfy's 2000 miniseries adaptation did a bit better in terms of audience and critical reception, but Berg feels there's still room for a new feature film.

"I think I had a much more different experience, I think, with the book than David Lynch did," Berg said in an exclusive interview on last week at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Pasadena, Calif., where he was promoting his Wayne Gretzky documentary for ESPN. "To me, I think my interpretation will feel significantly different from that and the [Syfy] Channel miniseries that aired. I have a different experience than both of those filmmakers did."

Lynch's film focused in part on the politics of the feuding houses of Herbert's novel, who contend while trying to control the flow of melange, the spice that facilitates space travel, which is found only on the desert planet of Arrakis.

Berg sees the story more as an epic adventure. "[The book] was much more muscular and adventurous, more violent and possibly even a little bit more fun," Berg said. "I think those are all elements of my experience of the book that can be brought in without offending the die-hard fans of the Bene Gesserit and Kwisatz Haderach. There's a more dynamic film to be made."

Before Berg can direct, a filmable Dune script just has to be finished within Berg's scheduling parameters. "I'm finishing this [documentary] now, we're editing it now," he said. "I think it's going to be in the Toronto Film Festival. [I'm] working now on getting Friday Night Lights up for the new season and getting Dune up and running. I'm working all the time."
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:30 AM   #61
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1983 View Post
Agreed! It still baffles me tbh. I guess because it was more of a "thinking mans' " sci fi film and more of a detective story/mystery than a total shoot em up / non stop action film (Harrison Ford doesn't show up until very late into the film is one of the other complaints I've read online but I thought it was handled brilliantly ) .
Biggest reason I see is it's length, along with what you are saying. The internet has ruined our attention spans.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #62
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I still do not understand how people did not appreciate Blade Runner 2049. It was a visually stunning masterpiece, IMO.
I loved the new Blade Runner. That's the only reason I have any hope here at all. I'm just like a whipped dog at this point when it comes to Dune adaptations.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #63
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I loved the new Blade Runner. That's the only reason I have any hope here at all. I'm just like a whipped dog at this point when it comes to Dune adaptations.
Well, yeah. You have good taste.

Edit: Except for your Witcher stance. SMH.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #64
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Well, yeah. You have good taste.

Edit: Except for your Witcher stance. SMH.
?

What - the games or the show?
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #65
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
?

What - the games or the show?
The game.

Didn't you hate it?
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #66
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

My excitement grows every time I learn more about this.

It definitely helps that they cast a badass as my namesake.

Re: Liet-Kynes... there's nothing in that character that is particularly MALE, as I recall. Save being Chani's parent (the other parent, as I recall, is nowhere to be found in the book).

In terms of gender bending, it's about as light a touch as you could make. There are so many choices that would have been so much worse.

One of the Harkonnens, for example. Or the Atreides mentat.

Or, the God-Emperor forbid...

me.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #67
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
The game.

Didn't you hate it?
I hated the second one - got to a point where I just couldn't advance and quit in frustration. Of course, that was years ago. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot. I didn't like the first game initially, either, but gave it another shot and grew to love it.

And I think the third is the best game ever made.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #68
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
And I think the third is the best game ever made.
Oh, okay. Well never mind then! I take my EDIT back.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #69
sorta mod-ish

https://imgur.com/gallery/mVUIHA3
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #70
sorta mod-ish

Now I understand why Duncan Idaho has Jason Momoa as his avatar, lol. I'm embarrassed it took me this long to figure it out, actually.
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #71
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Now I understand why Duncan Idaho has Jason Momoa as his avatar, lol. I'm embarrassed it took me this long to figure it out, actually.

He’s a subtle and sly one, that Duncan Idaho.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #72
oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Re: Liet-Kynes... there's nothing in that character that is particularly MALE, as I recall. Save being Chani's parent (the other parent, as I recall, is nowhere to be found in the book).
The challenge I see relates to Fremen gender roles and leadership structure. As we all know, Naib's lead the sietches, and the position is usually gained through trial by combat. Similarly, after trials by combat, the victorious fighters assume responsibility for the wives and children of those they defeat. Whereas females can become Sayyadina or even the Fremen equivalent to Reverend Mother. Which is still leadership, but of a different kind.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember any Fremen in Dune that falls outside of those basic binary roles. So, with that in mind, how does a female Kynes both fit into and function within (or above...) Fremen society?

Then again, I don't think that there was really all that much detail given by Herbert in Dune in terms of how Dr. Kynes became the secret leader of the Fremen. Basically he inherited the position of Imperial Planetologist from his father, and his mother was a Fremen. Beyond making Chani prominent as a Fremen by proxy, the basic point of the character in the novel seemed to be about the 'surprise' that the Imperial Planetologist and Liet were the same person, that Kynes had 'gone native', as I believe someone in the novel put it.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.