Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Today, 01:21 PM  
__

So, wait: why are centers cheaper than guards, again?

I have been thinking about this on my own time and haven't asked outwardly, but there's no obvious answer in my mind.

Why is it guards are being paid $20+m/season and Creed is about to reset the market at $16m, maybe $17m?

They handle the snap, which guards don't have to worry about, while also being an effective blocker. And you could argue that a player who can handle the snap and still get out in space is at least as valuable as a guard who doesn't have to snap the ball. You could argue, I think, that he's more valuable.

So what's the disconnect here? Are centers inherently less talented? Or is it simply a matter of centers aren't inflating the market as fast as guards are, and for no other reason? Are centers easier to replace?

Why is one of these positions considered less valuable when they have more responsibilities per snap than their wealthier neighbors?
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #2
Back-to-Back-to-Back.......

Because they don't matter that much. Probably the least important position on offense unless you are a pound it running team.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:30 PM   #3
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Maybe they take less because they get to touch the ball on every play and that's prestigious to other linemen.

Or maybe guards do more pulling or second-level blocking that requires more mobility.

Or maybe there's a smaller market for centers since teams need twice as many guards.

Or maybe it's a throwback to colonial America when centers were confused with sinners by semi-literate populations and shunned accordingly.

Or maybe it's easier to exist with symmetry around you, so centers are the most balanced, followed by guards, followed by tackles who have to deal with congestion on one side and open space on the other, which is challenging for their mental health.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:30 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Because they don't matter that much. Probably the least important position on offense unless you are a pound it running team.
The exchange between the center and QB isn't important? The center is also the one who set the protections for the rest of the line. When it comes to the logistics of the entire offensive line, they may actually be the most important. So, this is a very valid question and I look forward to the other responses.
Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old Today, 01:38 PM   #5
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Easier to cover for.

You can use guards on either shoulder to protect them. Whereas if you try to use an OT to protect a G, you end up opening the OT up to speed rushers on the outside.

Now I don't think there should be as big a gap as there is, but I do think the C position is easier to fill than the G position at a league average level (and you only need 32 of them league-wide) so the supply/demand dictates that they cost a little bit less.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #6
Back-to-Back-to-Back.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrae View Post
The exchange between the center and QB isn't important? The center is also the one who set the protections for the rest of the line. When it comes to the logistics of the entire offensive line, they may actually be the most important. So, this is a very valid question and I look forward to the other responses.
I didn't say it isn’t important I said it is the least important.

There has to be a least important position on offense. What would you say it is? I would say center or running back.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:42 PM   #7
Rufus Dawes Jr.

50% less demand.
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Today, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Pretty easy threshhold to clear.

It's the kind of think that talking heads love to blather on about but just about anyone can be taught to snap a ball effectively in a week or so. Now with the rise of the shotgun formation, it's a little more complicated because they need to have the flexibility to be able to snap the ball with adequate velocity and then get immediately into their block.

But I think the difficulty is really overstated. If Trey Smith needed to learn to snap a football, he could get that done in a couple weeks fairly easily, IMO. But could Creed take Smith's role and be able to anchor a ground game with the sort of pulls and traps that Smith can execute with grace and power? I don't think he can. He's not as powerful as Smith is.

I think some discrepancy is warranted.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:44 PM   #9
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
This really is the correct answer, and our history proves it. We won a Super Bowl with a street free agent playing the position.

That’s not to say you can just throw some scrub out there and it won’t hinder you a bit, but if you have 4 other decent lineman around him, it’s a position you can just “get by” with. That doesn’t mean you let the best center in the NFL walk if you happen to find him, but quite frankly we’d probably only notice a slight drop off from the line as a whole if we did.

I’ll put it like this; having a great center can help you, but it isn’t going to move bar if you don’t have one. That said, I still want to keep Creed. He’s an elite player, and you don’t let those guys leave at any position if you can help it, especially a guy who is home grown. Plus, Pat wants him here, and that means he stays no matter what.
Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Wisconsin_Chief has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #10
Starter

there's only 32 starting Centers. How many are on rookie contracts? How many on long term extensions? How many keep playing to second big contracts? The market simply just doesn't get driven up the way other positions do, especially at G or T where two for every team gets starter money.
Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brooklyn must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief View Post
This really is the correct answer, and our history proves it. We won a Super Bowl with a street free agent playing the position.

That’s not to say you can just throw some scrub out there and it won’t hinder you a bit, but if you have 4 other decent lineman around him, it’s a position you can just “get by” with. That doesn’t mean you let the best center in the NFL walk if you happen to find him, but quite frankly we’d probably only notice a slight drop off from the line as a whole if we did.

I’ll put it like this; having a great center can help you, but it isn’t going to move bar if you don’t have one. That said, I still want to keep Creed. He’s an elite player, and you don’t let those guys leave at any position if you can help it, especially a guy who is home grown. Plus, Pat wants him here, and that means he stays no matter what.
I also think a C takes FAR fewer 1v1 reps than any other position on the OL. They're almost always getting or giving help.

OTs are on an island the most, obviously. But if you see a team line up win a wide front with 4 down lineman, the assignments are going to be that the OTs take those DEs and the OGs take the 3 techniques with the C looking for someone to hit.

If you don't have best of breed, I think you're better serve to just continue to cycle through the position. Just as we did with Hudson and Morse who were very good but not All Pro level players.

Now if you have the best in the league at your position, I think you try to retain that guy just as we did with Butker. Less important position or not, when you have a guy looking to stay who's better than everyone else out there at his job, I think you have to try to get that done.

Maybe look at a C as a relief pitcher. Most relief pitchers are jus failed starters. If your SPs are OTs, then Cs are middle relievers. If a SP fails then goes to relief and excels, he's going to end up a closer or setup man at worst. And those guys can still get paid really well. Not as good as the starters, but they get really nice checks.

Now if they go to relief and they're still only pretty solid, they're gonna end up in the 6th or 7th innigs. And even the best of the middle relievers isn't likely to get paid at/near closer money.

Because in the end, a C is still probably someone who simply lacked the physical traits to be an OT or G.
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Pretty easy threshhold to clear.

It's the kind of think that talking heads love to blather on about but just about anyone can be taught to snap a ball effectively in a week or so. Now with the rise of the shotgun formation, it's a little more complicated because they need to have the flexibility to be able to snap the ball with adequate velocity and then get immediately into their block.

But I think the difficulty is really overstated. If Trey Smith needed to learn to snap a football, he could get that done in a couple weeks fairly easily, IMO. But could Creed take Smith's role and be able to anchor a ground game with the sort of pulls and traps that Smith can execute with grace and power? I don't think he can. He's not as powerful as Smith is.

I think some discrepancy is warranted.
Fair enough and I know your knowledge level exhibited on this site enough to respect it.
Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Hydrae has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
The exchange between the center and QB isn't important? The center is also the one who set the protections for the rest of the line.
This is where I believe the value is and I'm a bit confused by the valuations too.
crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crispystl Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #14
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Centers often weigh a bit less than guards, so maybe they're priced by the pound.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #15
Like I woke up in Wonderland..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief View Post
We won a Super Bowl with a street free agent playing the position.
Didn't we also win a SB with a street free agent at LT?
sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.