Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM  
Beyond the Rapids

"All-star" officiating crew for Rams-Chiefs game

NFL ups intensity with all-star officials for Rams-Chiefs game

Kevin Seifert
ESPN.com NFL Nation

The NFL took the unusual step this week of assigning an "all-star" officiating crew to the most highly anticipated game of the season, adding to the playofflike frenzy for Monday night's matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams.

Referee Clete Blakeman will work the game with only two members of his regular crew, umpire Ramon George and down judge Dana McKenzie. The other five officials -- including Jim Lapetina, who will handle replay -- were plucked from four other crews.

The approach is similar to how the NFL assigns officials to playoff games, a process that is based on performance and seniority rather than crew. But it is rarely, if ever, employed before the postseason. Officials typically work on the same eight-person crews throughout the regular season to maximize continuity and familiarity among members.

Individual crew members are occasionally juggled for health or scheduling reasons. But a series of actions this season have indicated the league is moving away from the consistent crew concept, in favor of a more aggressive administration of officiating. Earlier this season, the league bounced down judge Hugo Cruz among four crews before ultimately making him its first-ever official to be fired for performance during the season.

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed Sunday that "there is a rotation amongst the crews throughout the season." Signora did not provide details on the decision to overhaul Blakeman's crew for Monday night's game.

An officiating source said Sunday that the five officials added to Monday night's crew are all highly respected and have performed well this season.

The Chiefs-Rams game, originally scheduled to be played in Mexico City before it was relocated to Los Angeles, is a rare matchup. Since 1970, there have been only four other games pitting teams with one or fewer losses this late in the season. And according to the Elias Sports Bureau, this is the latest matchup ever between two teams averaging at least 33 points per game.

The following is the full crew for Monday night's game, as listed on the official flip card published by the NFL, with the officials' permanent referee in parentheses:

Referee: Clete Blakeman

Umpire: Ramon George (Blakeman)

Down judge: Dana McKenzie (Blakeman)

Line judge: Rusty Baynes (John Hussey)

Field judge: Dale Shaw (Jerome Boger)

Side judge: Brad Freeman (Clay Martin)

Back judge: Tony Steratore (Boger)

Replay: Jim Lapetina (Brad Allen)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ff-rams-chiefs
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #646
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
Why would that matter when the outcome has already been predetermined?
WHy not? Perhaps to change the predetermination.

On the other hand, since many of you think the NFL is totally neutral towards every team, why shouldn't the argue their case and draw attention to their plight?
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #647
I've Made a Huge Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
WHy not? Perhaps to change the predetermination.

On the other hand, since many of you think the NFL is totally neutral towards every team, why shouldn't the argue their case and draw attention to their plight?
I can't speak for everyone else but I don't think they are totally neutral. I just don't think they are using the refs like puppets. Refs suck in every sport.
NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan View Post
I can't speak for everyone else but I don't think they are totally neutral. I just don't think they are using the refs like puppets. Refs suck in every sport.
Everybody makes mistakes, but on average those "mistakes" would break about 50/50 per team if they are neutral. I think because they don't break 50/50, they aren't "neutral", and that means they're dirty (to some degree). And it also means the need to face some level of public transparency.

Like the players and coaches, perhaps the officials should be required to have a presser. Perhaps the head of officiating should have a weekly presser to discuss the week's events.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:09 AM   #649
Banned

The NFL doubles down:

Tyreek Hill given a five-figure fine for a peace sign on a TD, which he has done before

One of the most undercover terrible things the NFL does is steal money from its players through giving them huge fines for inconsequential acts.

The fine to Kansas City Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill this week might be a new low.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tyreek-hill...215516339.html
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #650
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
The NFL doubles down:

Tyreek Hill given a five-figure fine for a peace sign on a TD, which he has done before

One of the most undercover terrible things the NFL does is steal money from its players through giving them huge fines for inconsequential acts.

The fine to Kansas City Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill this week might be a new low.

As I posted earlier...NFL corporate has made it crystal clear that it doesn't consider the Chiefs in their "inner-circle" of selected teams. Their 2 biggest, nationally televised, games have both come with officiating controversy...with KC being on the negative end of it. Through 80 minutes of game time...Chiefs had 14 penalties for 150 yards...their opponents had ZERO.

If you want to see how the NFL treats a team it "favors"....just rewatch the final 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter of the AFCC. Jags were FAIRLY beating (dominating) NE until the officials intervened. They threw multiple sketchy DPI calls to get them into scoring range right before halftime. They used this EXACT method earlier in the season against the Texans....DPI with under 1:30 left in the game. The Patriots then threw a pass to the endzone where Cooks clearly loses control of it. They call it a TD anyways and uphold the review. Any other team gets the call reversed...it was a text book incomplete pass. Terrific Tom pulls out another miracle comeback....with the refs bailing them with two questionable calls.

Has anyone EVER seen this happen for KC...I mean ever in their existence? Let alone twice in a season...along with negating a Steeler TD late...so actually 3 times. Every conceivable call goes in their favor at critical times..KC would have been to multiple SBs if the officials called games like this for them...TG's TD against Denver would have actually counted, the strip sack against the Titans actually is allowed to count...JC isn't forced to sit out of the entire INDY game with a fake concussion on the first drive. TG phantom OPI on the first drive against 2003 Manning doesn't take off a TD. Think of the possibilities..

There was NO way NFL corporate was going to let Bortles play in the SB...not in a million years. It didn't matter if they were better that day. When it appeared like it might spiral out of their control...they stepped in.

If the NFL wants KC to win in the post-season...they will. Right now...the indications are they dont and are actively calling games against them. Kind of like any meaningful, high-profile game for the last 40 years... Sorry, but I dont expect anything to change come January.

If KC makes the SB....I'll be as happy as anyone here. I'll watch the game...then never watch anything the NFL touches again for the rest of my life. It's a fake sport...

Last edited by BlackOp; 11-24-2018 at 04:14 AM..
BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:09 AM   #651
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
If the NFL wants KC to win in the post-season...they will. Right now...the indications are they dont and are actively calling games against them. Sorry...but I dont expect anything to change come January.
At this point this seems fairly obvious even with Mahomes having possibly the best QB season of alltime.
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:48 AM   #652
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN View Post
At this point this seems fairly obvious even with Mahomes having possibly the best QB season of alltime.
I dont know....we all always assumed KC got screwed due to not having a marketable QB. They have what looks like the best young QB in history...and they are still ****ing with the Chiefs.

The only theory I have left is the Mob put a 50 year ban on KC for Dawson ratting them to the FBI...and the Chiefs have one year left on the hit.

Who knows...but whatever is the case...I'm done caring about it. If the NFL isn't going to allow KC a fair contest...there is no point watching with an invested interest.
BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackOp is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #653
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
The NFL doubles down:

That is ****ing horse shit. Is there a fine for Suh for what he did to Mahomes? How about the hit on the Redskins receiver?
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #654
WhatUneed2Hear

Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #655
MVP

It is a vast NFL owner conspiracy to hold KC back. So Pat Mahomes II can save Probowl ratings!!!!
OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.OrtonsPiercedTaint wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #656
Hockey Town

It's because Mahomes is new, they go with the old guard for as long as possible. Also market size is playing into this.

And lets be real at this point I feel like Bob Kraft runs the league.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #657
My work speaks for itself!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOp View Post
As I posted earlier...NFL corporate has made it crystal clear that it doesn't consider the Chiefs in their "inner-circle" of selected teams. Their 2 biggest, nationally televised, games have both come with officiating controversy...with KC being on the negative end of it. Through 80 minutes of game time...Chiefs had 14 penalties for 150 yards...their opponents had ZERO.

If you want to see how the NFL treats a team it "favors"....just rewatch the final 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter of the AFCC. Jags were FAIRLY beating (dominating) NE until the officials intervened. They threw multiple sketchy DPI calls to get them into scoring range right before halftime. They used this EXACT method earlier in the season against the Texans....DPI with under 1:30 left in the game. The Patriots then threw a pass to the endzone where Cooks clearly loses control of it. They call it a TD anyways and uphold the review. Any other team gets the call reversed...it was a text book incomplete pass. Terrific Tom pulls out another miracle comeback....with the refs bailing them with two questionable calls.

Has anyone EVER seen this happen for KC...I mean ever in their existence? Let alone twice in a season...along with negating a Steeler TD late...so actually 3 times. Every conceivable call goes in their favor at critical times..KC would have been to multiple SBs if the officials called games like this for them...TG's TD against Denver would have actually counted, the strip sack against the Titans actually is allowed to count...JC isn't forced to sit out of the entire INDY game with a fake concussion on the first drive. TG phantom OPI on the first drive against 2003 Manning doesn't take off a TD. Think of the possibilities..

There was NO way NFL corporate was going to let Bortles play in the SB...not in a million years. It didn't matter if they were better that day. When it appeared like it might spiral out of their control...they stepped in.

If the NFL wants KC to win in the post-season...they will. Right now...the indications are they dont and are actively calling games against them. Kind of like any meaningful, high-profile game for the last 40 years... Sorry, but I dont expect anything to change come January.

If KC makes the SB....I'll be as happy as anyone here. I'll watch the game...then never watch anything the NFL touches again for the rest of my life. It's a fake sport...
A lot of truth here. The jags/pats playoff game was a complete joke. If I recall properly, wasnt there like 3 flags on 3 consecutive 3rd and longs to keep the drive alive for the pats?

The only game that I recall this season where we sniffed that type of favoritism was the home game versus San Fran - and even that wasnt nearly as blatant as the Pitt/NE/LAR games.
DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #658
Rock Chalk Jayhawks! KU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
The MLS thing is a tired cliche, please. It is minor compared to the Chiefs.

I am not sure how long you have been following this team, but were you around in the 70s and 80s when they were terrible? They tried drafting a QB in 1983 when they reached into a barrel of tits and pulled out a dick. It set the franchise back. It was painful, and I am not going to defend it and have always blamed the Hunts for all of the safe recycled rejects that followed . Apparently it was the GMs decisions all along and i was wrong.

Oh, and no they don't all spend money like the Hunts. Not even close.

Drafting a QB in 83 didn’t set the franchise back 3 decades. What set the franchise back was an inept owner, GM and HC up until Lamar died.
Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN View Post
I'm starting to think the NFL calls everything it sees, but only sees what it wants.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
It's because Mahomes is new, they go with the old guard for as long as possible. Also market size is playing into this.

And lets be real at this point I feel like Bob Kraft runs the league.
Where is that in the rule book? Or is it documented somewhere else?