Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM  
Beyond the Rapids

"All-star" officiating crew for Rams-Chiefs game

NFL ups intensity with all-star officials for Rams-Chiefs game

Kevin Seifert
ESPN.com NFL Nation

The NFL took the unusual step this week of assigning an "all-star" officiating crew to the most highly anticipated game of the season, adding to the playofflike frenzy for Monday night's matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams.

Referee Clete Blakeman will work the game with only two members of his regular crew, umpire Ramon George and down judge Dana McKenzie. The other five officials -- including Jim Lapetina, who will handle replay -- were plucked from four other crews.

The approach is similar to how the NFL assigns officials to playoff games, a process that is based on performance and seniority rather than crew. But it is rarely, if ever, employed before the postseason. Officials typically work on the same eight-person crews throughout the regular season to maximize continuity and familiarity among members.

Individual crew members are occasionally juggled for health or scheduling reasons. But a series of actions this season have indicated the league is moving away from the consistent crew concept, in favor of a more aggressive administration of officiating. Earlier this season, the league bounced down judge Hugo Cruz among four crews before ultimately making him its first-ever official to be fired for performance during the season.

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed Sunday that "there is a rotation amongst the crews throughout the season." Signora did not provide details on the decision to overhaul Blakeman's crew for Monday night's game.

An officiating source said Sunday that the five officials added to Monday night's crew are all highly respected and have performed well this season.

The Chiefs-Rams game, originally scheduled to be played in Mexico City before it was relocated to Los Angeles, is a rare matchup. Since 1970, there have been only four other games pitting teams with one or fewer losses this late in the season. And according to the Elias Sports Bureau, this is the latest matchup ever between two teams averaging at least 33 points per game.

The following is the full crew for Monday night's game, as listed on the official flip card published by the NFL, with the officials' permanent referee in parentheses:

Referee: Clete Blakeman

Umpire: Ramon George (Blakeman)

Down judge: Dana McKenzie (Blakeman)

Line judge: Rusty Baynes (John Hussey)

Field judge: Dale Shaw (Jerome Boger)

Side judge: Brad Freeman (Clay Martin)

Back judge: Tony Steratore (Boger)

Replay: Jim Lapetina (Brad Allen)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ff-rams-chiefs
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #631
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
NFL refs just walk around looking everywhere but the sidelines on questionable calls. Sorry, didn't hear a word you said.
You know, after watching those games yesterday, I am more confused than ever about the actual problem with the officiating.

I don't think it is a single issue.

The game/rules has become too complicated and fast for them to even be above average on accuracy. It seems like when the pace is slow, they get it right, but when it gets hectic, the officials cave.

Throw in the human factor of the home crowd, NFL marketing agendas and we have the current product.

That hit yesterday at the end of the Redskins game on the receiver was just astounding that it didn't draw a flag. The official just ignored it when confronted. I would bet it will draw a fine.

I have seen numerous hits on QBs in the last week that were much rougher than those that were drawing roughing calls earlier in other games.

All three favorites covered yesterday. Coincidence? I honestly have no idea what is going on, other than entertainment.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #632
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
Certainly it's a plus (kind of a no-brainer "plus"), so why did the Hunts buck the system? Why did Clark continue the Hunt'ism until they drafted PM?

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 1 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs

It's not a coincidence that we reached afc title games with dawson and montana.
ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #633
MVP

By far, MOST of those QBs are hof qbs
ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.ARROW2 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #634
MVP

We have one now. Just sit back and enjoy
Old 11-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #635
Bring it on Ahab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
I can see where you would like for Clark Hunt to rant and rave, pound his shoe on the table. That would clearly appeal to you.

For you to state that he doesn't care, is at the minimum a very poor observation.

If he didn't care, he would not have spent the kind of money hiring what seemed to be the best available GMs and HCs over the years.

You have no idea what he does or says to the NFL behind closed doors or in private.
I don't know why so many KC fans clamor for Clark to act like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

Jerry was lucky that as a new owner he was humble enough to let Jimmy Johnson do HIS thing and bring him a superstar team and 3 SB's (including Switzer's gravy train). Outside of that both guys just make their teams jokes.

I want my owner to do his best to hire the most qualified candidates. The man FINALLY got rid of Carl Peterson. While Pioli was a freaking disaster, it's not like he was some 'good old boy network scrub'. He was the most highly pursued GM candidate in the NFL. Pioli opted to hire Haley and Crennel. After that Clark decided he'd hire the damn coach.

With Reid it's the same thing. Reid was a big name coaching candidate, not some budget clown you bring in if you don't give a shit.

I'm far from traumatized that Clark didn't demand by fiat that KC draft Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith.

Instead he's responsible for the staff that drafted probably the best QB KC will ever have.

Last edited by WhiteWhale; 11-23-2018 at 10:16 AM..
WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #636
Andy Reid Supporter

Basically GloryDayz is saying he’s mad Andy didn’t do this because the refs jobbed us.

RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #637
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
I don't know why so many KC fans clamor for Clark to act like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

Jerry was lucky that as a new owner he was humble enough to let Jimmy Johnson do HIS thing and bring him a superstar team and 3 SB's (including Switzer's gravy train). Outside of that both guys just make their teams jokes.

I want my owner to do his best to hire the most qualified candidates. The man FINALLY got rid of Carl Peterson. While Pioli was a freaking disaster, it's not like he was some 'good old boy network scrub'. He was the most highly pursued GM candidate in the NFL. Pioli opted to hire Haley and Crennel. After that Clark decided he'd hire the damn coach.

With Reid it's the same thing. Reid was a big name coaching candidate, not some budget clown you bring in if you don't give a shit.

I'm far from traumatized that Clark didn't demand by fiat that KC draft Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith.

Instead he's responsible for the staff that drafted probably the best QB KC will ever have.
I couldn't agree more.

I would have lost a lot of money betting on the drafting of a QB when they took Mahomes. I was very pissed when they didn't draft Claussen or Rodgers when they were sitting there on the board for the taking.

My only real problem with Clark Hunt was that I was convinced there was a referendum put forth by Lamar never to draft in the first again.

I am just a fan and they are actually football people that know what they are doing I guess.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #638
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Basically GloryDayz is saying he’s mad Andy didn’t do this because the refs jobbed us.

I agree on Andy doing something publicly, but not Clark.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #639
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
I can see where you would like for Clark Hunt to rant and rave, pound his shoe on the table. That would clearly appeal to you.

For you to state that he doesn't care, is at the minimum a very poor observation.

If he didn't care, he would not have spent the kind of money hiring what seemed to be the best available GMs and HCs over the years.

You have no idea what he does or says to the NFL behind closed doors or in private.
Pound his shoe on the table? No, but speak to them sternly about life's realities would be nice. Who knows, maybe back in 2008 or 2009 they would have told him that he needs to pay attention to the NFL instead of the MLS, and see that no team without a franchise QB is going to enjoy the favor of the NFL's officiating crews (then wink at him). And, if that is true (the whole QB thing), why have the Hunts been so stupid about getting a QB?

As for him spending money, they all do, what's your point? How much of his ~#100M "clean" did buying your continued loyalty really cost him? 48 years of no SB, ~20% of those 48 years are on his watch, and it took 46 to get a great QB. Again, the consistent name with Chiefs failure here is "Hunt", nobody else.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #640

Quote:
You know, after watching those games yesterday, I am more confused than ever about the actual problem with the officiating.

I don't think it is a single issue.

The game/rules has become too complicated and fast for them to even be above average on accuracy. It seems like when the pace is slow, they get it right, but when it gets hectic, the officials cave.

Throw in the human factor of the home crowd, NFL marketing agendas and we have the current product.

That hit yesterday at the end of the Redskins game on the receiver was just astounding that it didn't draw a flag. The official just ignored it when confronted. I would bet it will draw a fine.

I have seen numerous hits on QBs in the last week that were much rougher than those that were drawing roughing calls earlier in other games.

All three favorites covered yesterday. Coincidence? I honestly have no idea what is going on, other than entertainment.
Yet some will claim the officials aren't having the NFLs priorities and concerns expressed to them, but the focus of calls seem to change. Kind of odd.

Oh, and offensive holding is neither complicated nor difficult to see, they just need to start calling it. And call it with the same standard for holding that's applied to the defensive secondary.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #641

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post

Maybe I'm suggesting something short of that, but beyond smiling while he takes it in the ass again. I think Pete Carroll and Mike Tomlin have it about right.

And I'd love to see Mahomes, Houston, and Ford take a class in "Tom Brady, How to Chirp at Officials"... Let them know, very clearly, you were held. After 5-10 times, they might actually look for it. But no, neither Andy nor the players are willing to let the officials know they're doing a bad job and owe you one.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #642
Wasted away again...

Quote:

And I'd love to see Mahomes, Houston, and Ford take a class in "Tom Brady, How to Chirp at Officials"... Let them know, very clearly, you were held. After 5-10 times, they might actually look for it. But no, neither Andy nor the players are willing to let the officials know they're doing a bad job and owe you one.
Why would that matter when the outcome has already been predetermined?
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #643
Supporter

Quote:
Pound his shoe on the table? No, but speak to them sternly about life's realities would be nice. Who knows, maybe back in 2008 or 2009 they would have told him that he needs to pay attention to the NFL instead of the MLS, and see that no team without a franchise QB is going to enjoy the favor of the NFL's officiating crews (then wink at him). And, if that is true (the whole QB thing), why have the Hunts been so stupid about getting a QB?

As for him spending money, they all do, what's your point? How much of his ~#100M "clean" did buying your continued loyalty really cost him? 48 years of no SB, ~20% of those 48 years are on his watch, and it took 46 to get a great QB. Again, the consistent name with Chiefs failure here is "Hunt", nobody else.
The MLS thing is a tired cliche, please. It is minor compared to the Chiefs.

I am not sure how long you have been following this team, but were you around in the 70s and 80s when they were terrible? They tried drafting a QB in 1983 when they reached into a barrel of tits and pulled out a dick. It set the franchise back. It was painful, and I am not going to defend it and have always blamed the Hunts for all of the safe recycled rejects that followed . Apparently it was the GMs decisions all along and i was wrong.

Oh, and no they don't all spend money like the Hunts. Not even close.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #644
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
It's really that simple. If we don't turn the ball over, it doesn't matter how many penalties the refs called, we would have won that game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Extremely funny, thanks for the chuckle. Lawyer or realtor?
38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.38yrsfan would the whole thing.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #645
MVP

Whoever mentioned tomlin, **** him and the squealers.