Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-24-2007, 11:34 PM  
Pritay Pritay Pritay Good

Herm: "I ain't draftin' no QB."

Maybe this will put an end to 15 threads about the issue every day. Yeah, probably not.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/417771.html

Quote:
Herm says Croyle will be No. 1 quarterback in 2008
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs went into the season believing Brodie Croyle was their quarterback of the future.

And they’ll conclude the 2007 season, despite five losses and two injuries in Croyle’s five starts, still believing that.

Croyle is questionable for Sunday’s season finale at the New York Jets because of a hand injury that knocked him out of the Chiefs’ 25-20 loss at Detroit. But even if doesn’t play, Chiefs coach Herm Edwards believes he has seen enough in Croyle to make him the incumbent for 2008.

The Chiefs, 4-11, can be staring at a top-five draft pick, but Edwards sees too many other needs on the team to spend it on a quarterback. Three quarterbacks — Louisville’s Brian Brohm, Boston College’s Matt Ryan and Hawaii’s Colt Brennan — are considered first-round material.

“Let’s say you draft a quarterback in the first round,” Edwards said. “I don’t see a franchise quarterback out there. I haven’t evaluated them, but I haven’t heard enough that, ‘This is Peyton Manning.’ What does that tell you? What have you got? You might have the same guy you already have.

“There are a lot of positions on this team we have to fill …”

Croyle was a third-round pick in 2006, and the primary reason he slipped that far was a history of injuries both in college at Alabama and in high school. This season, he missed one start after taking a hit to his back, and he left the Detroit game after injuring his hand and wrist while trying to make a tackle on an interception return.

“It’s a little bit of a concern,” Edwards said. “But we’re not going to panic. You want your quarterback available. That’s the most important piece to your offense, if your quarterback can be available game in and game out, that’s when you find out if they can play or not, and if they’re good, they give you the best chance to win.”

Then, Edwards, asked to list the positives and negatives in Croyle, broke it down this way:

“The first plus is he’s gotten to play,” Edwards said. “He has good aura with the football team. The team believes in the guy. He’s made some throws, where if you look at him, you say, ‘Hey, this guy has a legitimate arm. He can make that throw, he can make that play.’ He’s mobile enough, he can do some things if you get him on the edge, get him out of the rush. He’s smart. He understands what he has to do with the football.”

And the minuses?

“Like all young guys, inexperience,” Edwards said. “He turns the ball over, which is never good … but I thought he got better every game. And he’s been nicked. … There are some things we have to do to help him, designwise, how we play. But also we will help him with some players around him, too.”

Croyle was given every opportunity to become the opening-day starter. But he had a miserable preseason marked by untimely and inexplicable interceptions, and the Chiefs went with veteran Damon Huard.

Now that the Chiefs are concluding their worst season since 1988, would they have been better off going with Croyle from the very beginning and let him take his lumps? Maybe then they’d know more about him, and this wouldn’t have been a wasted season.

“You can say that now because of our record, but when we were 4-3, no one was saying that,” Edwards said. “There’s a lot of ways you look at it. At the beginning of the season, we felt with the veteran team we had on offense, the best way for us to win games early and give us a chance was with Damon, and Damon did a good job.

“But it got to the point where some things went the other way, and we put Brodie in. He’s gotten better from the preseason, because if he was good enough in the preseason, he would have started.”

In five starts, plus mop-up duty in two other games, Croyle, 24, has completed 107 of 181 passes for 1,032 yards, five touchdowns, six interceptions and a mediocre 70.5 passer rating.

“I’m hoping he can play this week,” Edwards said. “Another week of playing will help him and will help us evaluate that position. But he’s a guy we like.”
BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.BigRock wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #166
Supporter

I just don't want the Chiefs to draft a QB just to draft one if they don't feel like there is a legit franchise QB in this draft. If there is a legit franchise LT, DT, CB then I think you take that if there is not a QB you like. Then, maybe next year there is a guy they like as a frachise QB instead of reaching for one now.
doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.doomy3 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #167
best in the biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler
Stevie doesn't his durability at least concern you a little bit?

It does me.
Since when is any player's durabiltiy guaranteed? I'd bet that most players that never get hurt would consider themselves pretty damn lucky.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #168
Tip of the hat LIV Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca
This is obviously pointless, Stevie is a rather ardent homer that doesn't care that Brodie Croyle is about as durable as a glass doll.

You brought that comparison first so I brought it back to you, do as you wish to you I'll never be a good enough fan I'm sure.

Have you seen the shots, sacks that Brodie has taken and got right back up? He has taken some serious shots and got right back up so how is that Glass?
Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #169
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs
Here is a new Matt Ryan scouting report from nfldraftcountdown. Not the type of report that makes me want to take this guy in the first round....

Really emerged as a top pro prospect as a senior, propelling his team to a great season even though he was surrounded by ordinary talent...Physical tools aren't special but they're adequate across the board .....
OH NO!!... Another Todd Blackledge.

We drafted TB in the top ten based only on his Senior year "emergance."... Yikes!!
Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #170
In Search of a Life

Quote:
This is obviously pointless, Stevie is a rather ardent homer that doesn't care that Brodie Croyle is about as durable as a glass doll.
Stevie still thinks that Todd Blackledge and Mike Elkins have solid NFL futures ahead of them.
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #171
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo_2007
Stevie still thinks that Todd Blackledge and Mike Elkins have solid NFL futures ahead of them.
His argument does amuse me, "You don't know their futures! who cares that he's not durable, durability is just luck!" uh yea ok...

GM's with stances like that don't have jobs.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #172
best in the biz

Quote:

You brought that comparison first so I brought it back to you, do as you wish to you I'll never be a good enough fan I'm sure.
ardent homer? you don't have a damn clue....

"I'll never be a good enough fan I'm sure"

do you ever get tired of being the victim?
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #173
testing ... 1, 2, 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler
Stevie doesn't his durability at least concern you a little bit?

It does me.
It's a strange situation, Mr. dirk digler. A normal person with a brain and all that kind of stuff would have to admit that the kidney attack was a bit of a freak injury. As was the hand deal which was incurred whilst attempting to tackle an enemy (which wasn't smart, by the way). Still, if Croyle had run the other way, people would be calling him a pansy for avoiding contact.

And, Mr. stevieray is correct. Croyle has overcome injuries in the past and stood tall in the pocket after getting blasted a few times.

Nevertheless, the guy is always going down with this and that. It's very concerning.

FAX
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #174
MVP

Mike Elkins
ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.ChiefaRoo is too fat/Omaha.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #175
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray
ardent homer? you don't have a damn clue....

"I'll never be a good enough fan I'm sure"

do you ever get tired of being the victim?
I get tired of you acting like you're a better fan....that's about it.

How about a factual stance than shit like "oh that's just luck" or "you don't know the future!"
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #176
In Search of a Life

Quote:
His argument does amuse me, "You don't know their futures!
Hes exactly right. You dont know their futures so you make a decision based on the facts of their past. Thats all you can go on.

Croyles injury history since high school isnt pretty. and now hes missed 3 games out of 6 in the NFL. not good.
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #177
best in the biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo_2007
I'm sorry, I can't understand you with the dallas cowboys deep in your mouth..
Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #178
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Jake Plummer? He can throw with either hand. He's amphibious.
I think you mean ambidextrous. But JP IS amphibious.
Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.Frankie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #179
Please squeeze

Quote:
Since when is any player's durabiltiy guaranteed? I'd bet that most players that never get hurt would consider themselves pretty damn lucky.
It is not guaranteed but you have to admit his history of being injured is a concern. Heck Herm even said that today in his press conference that QB's need to be available if they are not they are useless.

I will say this I haven't made up my mind on Brodie yet but after listening to KK today (which I never do) he made some good points outside of his durability issues.

His point was after 2 months of starting Brodie has made 0 plays to help this team win a game and his accuracy is questionable at best.

I remember last season watching Vince Young and Cutler and you could see how good those 2 are going to be be because they would make a bad play but then come back and make 2-3 great plays to win a game.

Brodie hasn't even come close to doing that and outside of his durability I just don't think he has the "it" to be a starting franchise QB in the NFL.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #180
Hockey Town

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't understand you with the dallas cowboys deep in your mouth..
This is exactly what I'm talking about, anytime there's a critique of the Chiefs by some of us, you come back with shit like that, basically questioning our fandom. What's that about?

I'm sorry we all can't drop money on season tickets or dress like Elvis to prove we are better fans than you.