Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2024, 02:46 PM  
Veteran

Aiyuk to the Steelers?

Seems to be a lot of buzz around the Steelers finalizing a trade for Aiyuk.

Last edited by SHOWTIME; 08-05-2024 at 02:52 PM..
SHOWTIME has disabled reputation
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #181
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. tegu View Post
Besides that being a huge outlier season for him, that’s literally exactly what they were. Over 50% of his 1400 receiving yards, 768, were YAC that season. His average depth of catch, 8.3, was LESS than his average YAC, 10.

In that same offense this past season Aiyuk had 1342 yards but only 382 YAC. His depth of catch was 12.8. A Quick Look at other top receivers guys shows similar percentages for YAC and depth of target on big seasons.
Yeah - those are the dangers of statline scouting.

I think all of us have seen Deebo play a fair bit, no? I've seen probably 4-6 games with him.

And no, he's not a route runner. He's average to slightly below in that regard. As was noted previously, Trent McDuffie was absolutely eating his lunch because McDuffie could read his breaks like a book. And that's who he's pretty much always been.

He's a gadget player, pure and simple. And again, I never said he's not a damn nice offensive weapon (when healthy) but that doesn't make him more valuable for probably 3/4 of the teams in the league because they lack the offensive creativity to utilize him.

Meanwhile every team in the league can use Aiyuk at a high level because even a team with an iffy QB can feed a physical dude like Aiyuk (see the Cassel/Bowe connection).

And with Aiyuk's style, I think he'll even age pretty well. Whereas Deebo has already declined and will only continue to do so.

If the 49ers could dump Deebo's $21 million in guaranteed salary (to say nothing of the void years and $12 million in pro-rated charges) and use that to retain Aiyuk, I think they'd do it in a heartbeat. And that's with a team that DOES know how to use him.

But they needed him when they gave him that extension. And figured they could ride out Aiyuk and Williams. Trent really REALLY ****ed them here.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #182
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
I think it’s crazy that the 49ers have one year left in their window with a cheap rookie QB and instead of every being on board to win a Super Bowl, they are demanding trades or holding out for big contracts. We are blessed. Hell the Chris Jones crap last year sucked but wasn’t this bad.
The thing is....you could see all this coming. I'm not sure what they thought was gonna happen.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:22 AM   #183
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Yeah - those are the dangers of statline scouting.

I think all of us have seen Deebo play a fair bit, no? I've seen probably 4-6 games with him.

And no, he's not a route runner. He's average to slightly below in that regard. As was noted previously, Trent McDuffie was absolutely eating his lunch because McDuffie could read his breaks like a book. And that's who he's pretty much always been.

He's a gadget player, pure and simple. And again, I never said he's not a damn nice offensive weapon (when healthy) but that doesn't make him more valuable for probably 3/4 of the teams in the league because they lack the offensive creativity to utilize him.

Meanwhile every team in the league can use Aiyuk at a high level because even a team with an iffy QB can feed a physical dude like Aiyuk (see the Cassel/Bowe connection).

And with Aiyuk's style, I think he'll even age pretty well. Whereas Deebo has already declined and will only continue to do so.

If the 49ers could dump Deebo's $21 million in guaranteed salary (to say nothing of the void years and $12 million in pro-rated charges) and use that to retain Aiyuk, I think they'd do it in a heartbeat. And that's with a team that DOES know how to use him.

But they needed him when they gave him that extension. And figured they could ride out Aiyuk and Williams. Trent really REALLY ****ed them here.
Once Trent's GTD money was out, I'm not sure what they thought would happen. He's always been a guy that's about the $.

It's just a prime example of why you've just gotta capitalize and when them when you have your chances because....well this is hard and there's alot of moving parts.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxSocks View Post
I imagine the 49ers will be parting ways with Deebo after the season. So acting like its an either or thing, "which would you rather keep" is kinda meh. I expect them both gone. He carries a $24M cap charge next season.
Feels like the 49ers pissed Aiyuk off.

My understanding was they offered him around $26 million at one point this off-season and he declined.

What I don't understand is WHY he's pissed at them. He had a breakout in year 3 but took another big step forward in year 4. No, they didn't offer him a big extension after his 3rd year (hindsight that was a major mistake for them) but in so doing they did him a favor. He's worth a shitload more now than he'd have been had he signed after year 3.

And surely he's not cranky about them picking up his 5th year option - that was a no-brainer and every team in the league would've done it.

So when they came to him after year 4 and offered him a deal that puts him in the top 10 highest paid WRs - even if he decides that isn't enough - why the angst?

Because they absolutely could extend him and move on from Deebo after this year. But for whatever reason, he's just not interested.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Once Trent's GTD money was out, I'm not sure what they thought would happen. He's always been a guy that's about the $.

It's just a prime example of why you've just gotta capitalize and when them when you have your chances because....well this is hard and there's alot of moving parts.
Best I can figure is that it's similar to Jones in that they maybe feel blindsided by it? Maybe they expected him to come to them earlier in the year rather than just wait until camp and hold-out.

I know that was my biggest issue with what Jones did last season. He waited until after the draft and FA to stomp his feet. And I understand why a player/agent does that - it's a leverage thing.

But it's also kinda dirty pool if you're also hoping to build a championship squad.
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #186
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Best I can figure is that it's similar to Jones in that they maybe feel blindsided by it? Maybe they expected him to come to them earlier in the year rather than just wait until camp and hold-out.

I know that was my biggest issue with what Jones did last season. He waited until after the draft and FA to stomp his feet. And I understand why a player/agent does that - it's a leverage thing.

But it's also kinda dirty pool if you're also hoping to build a championship squad.
Hindsight and all but....as a GM you just gotta kinda bite your bullet and go to them right?

I don't blame a player for using whatever leverage they can drum up, but yeah, it can really **** with the mojo of the team. Just always seems the smart thing to get out in front as much as possible, maybe sometimes that just can't happen.
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #187
The man you could post like.

Whatever it was happened a while ago. His circle was already talking about him wanting to go elsewhere even during the postseason run IIRC.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:31 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch View Post
Whatever it was happened a while ago. His circle was already talking about him wanting to go elsewhere even during the postseason run IIRC.
Oh no question. It almost had to have been between seasons 3 and 4.

And like I said, best I can figure is that he expected an extension after season 3 and the 49ers didn't offer it.

But in the end that turned out to be the best thing for him. He'll make probably $12-15 million more over the life of a deal he signs now than he'd have made had he signed after 2023.

Seems like an odd thing to be mad about.
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #189
In Search of a Life

He's a WR. Are you ever surprised when they do this goofy shit?
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:34 AM   #190
In Search of a Life

I've pretty much decided I'd not ever wanna pay one of these top end guys. Go the Tyreek and the Chiefs route and just trade him for a haul and move on.
Old Today, 09:36 AM   #191
Going home eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I've pretty much decided I'd not ever wanna pay one of these top end guys. Go the Tyreek and the Chiefs route and just trade him for a haul and move on.
If the Bengals were smart and truly believe that Joe is a difference maker, they would trade Chase for a haul and use the high picks on DL and OL.
Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Red Dawg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #192
The man you could post like.

May just not want to play under Shanahan longer than he has to. Public knowledge they've been at odds in the past. Aiyuk may just be one of those dudes that takes it personally.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
If the Bengals were smart and truly believe that Joe is a difference maker, they would trade Chase for a haul and use the high picks on DL and OL.
I think they’re smart and realize that Joe ISN’T a difference maker.

That’s why they’re hanging on to Higgins like grim death.

Dudes closer to Andy Dalton than Mahomes. Dalton built his rep acting as a JUGS machine for AJ Green. That’s what Burrow is gonna do as well.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #194
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
You're missing the point entirely dude.

And if it's all about production, why don't you post Aiyuk and Deebo's stats the last couple of years?
The point wasn't about comparing those 2, I was simply pointing out the Hardman comparison is silly.

You guys have convinced me on the Aiyuk > Deebo argument, I just don't think the gap is particularly large even though they play very different roles.

Yards and TDs are yards and TDs whether you catch the ball and run 50 yards or catch the ball in the endzone 50 yards downfield.

Our most prolific pass catcher is a TE who gets the ball typically within 10 yards of the LOS. But he is a matchup nightmare and YAC machine and so is Deebo.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:04 AM   #195
In Search of a Life

Hardmans value comes from manufactered touches, similar to Deebo.

That's all he was saying.

Deebo is being paid alot to be an "offensive weapon", not really a "WR". That's fine, but he's breaking down (broke down?) and having a traditional WR is alot more valuable.