Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Hall of Classics

Old 01-14-2004, 09:19 AM  
Please squeeze

Guess what? Gretz call us classless and deranged

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news_article...RNYVT5ZWBXRP4A

An Act of Supreme Loyalty
1/14/2004 6:17 AM

The columnists dissect the 2003 season and take a look at what's ahead for the Chiefs in '04. Read it here in a series of columns beginning next week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Bob Gretz
January 14, 2004 (morning)--Last year, Dick Vermeil showed his loyalty to Greg Robinson by retaining him on his coaching staff.

Robinson paid back that loyalty on Tuesday by resigning as the defensive coordinator of the Chiefs.

It was an extraordinary act by Robinson. He put aside ego, all pretense and he fell on his sword for Dick Vermeil. Team and Vermeil came ahead of himself. No small wonder why the head coach was so emotional when he talked about Robinson and why he felt like he let his assistant down.

In more than 25 years of covering the NFL, I’ve never witnessed anything that came close to Tuesday’s morning gathering. The raw emotion was unforgettable. It was a window into the world that Vermeil has created with his football team. It was a window into the world of coaching and all the twists and turns that make the business so exciting and so heart breaking.

First, Robinson did the right thing in offering to resign. Secondly, Vermeil did the right thing in accepting. After everything that happened with the Chiefs in 2003, the focus was entirely on Robinson and the defense. It would have been impossible for this organization to make enough changes in other areas to overcome the negativity that would have surrounded Robinson’s further employment.

There’s no question the defense was broken. Robinson and the defensive staff tried their best, but in the end it did not come together on the field. Last year, Robinson was handicapped by a defense that had few talented players. This season, the talent level was improved, but it still wasn’t enough.

What was missing was a defensive mind-set that’s absolutely imperative to success in the NFL. Yes, football today is more complicated than it was years ago. Defenses must react to offenses, they must take part in the chess game.

But they must do it with an attitude that was seldom evident around the Chiefs defense. It was never there in 2002, showed itself early in 2003, but then disappeared, returning just briefly for the Chicago game. For that, the players, Robinson, the defensive staff and Vermeil must share the blame.

Beyond scheme, beyond talent, what this Chiefs defensive unit needs is an infusion of passion. When Vermeil picks Robinson’s successor, that’s should be the most important part of his resume.

There are many people celebrating Robinson’s departure, reveling in kicking a man when he’s down, laughing at the raw emotion he was willing to share on what was probably the worst day of his professional life. If you are one of those people, like the classless folks who started a web site to promote the firing of Robinson, please seek help. You believe the success of the team is more important to you, than the people who give their blood, sweat and tears each and every day to make it work. You are deranged and can not a hold a candle to a man like Robinson.

Anybody who witnessed what happened at Arrowhead Stadium on Tuesday morning should now have a better understanding of what the people who coach in this business put on the line. They don’t always get it right, they don’t always produce.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #106
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfi
Irrational and possibly dangerous...

you never know when someone would do something stupid like start egging the guys car or vandalizing his house if he stayed here. As it was the hate was so personal but was limited to being verbal and digital but if he had stayed who knows where it could have lead.
There are some really strange people on the Internet.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:00 PM   #107
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefnj
What's the difference between someone who posted on the website that three years of horrible performance warrants a change in coaching, and an "insider" like Gretz who talks about how bad the defense is? I'm failing to see the distinction, in fact isn't it worse for a fellow employee to bad mouth the team?
The difference is in the tone, if you fail to see the difference I am unable to explain it.
redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #108
Will KC ever be better?

Here is a copy of what I just emailed via the email addy the Senator provided (bgretz@susqkc.com). I would suggest that anyone offended to email him with your comments...

Mr. Gretz,

I must admit, I am somewhat offended at your most recent article on the KC Chiefs website. I can understand that you probably look at Mr Robinson as a friend and do indeed feel a need to voice your support of him. But for you to call KC fans that are tired of seeing a Defense that couldn't contain the Kansas Jayhawks offense is a little overboard in my opinion.

You say in your article...

"You believe the success of the team is more important to you, than the people who give their blood, sweat and tears each and every day to make it work. You are deranged and can not a hold a candle to a man like Robinson."

It is the NFL. It is about success, period. It doesn't matter how hard a person works or how nice of a person they are, it is about putting a competitive team on the field. Our Defense has not been competitive for the 3 years Mr Robinson has been here. And to be frankly honest, there are a lot of fans that buy tickets, paraphernalia, and indeed bleed Red and Gold after every loss or injury that are tired of settling for the mediocracy on Defense. The problem is we were spoiled for years with Defenses that could be depended upon when the game was on the line. If fans, in your opinion, are "deranged" and "classless" is is because we expect so much more.

As for your comments about websites. I am not quite sure where you get the "kicking him while he is down" bit because yesterday after the newsconference, I checked one particular site and all the articles had already been pulled and a thank you for doing the right thing (Greg Robinson used the same words at the press conference by the way) was in thier place.

I would hope that when you start reffering to fans with derogatory comments you remember that they (we) are the base of support for this team. If we didn't care we wouldn't speak up.

Sincerely

M. Holman

PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #109
"Think ZOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefnj
What's the difference between someone who posted on the website that three years of horrible performance warrants a change in coaching, and an "insider" like Gretz who talks about how bad the defense is? I'm failing to see the distinction, in fact isn't it worse for a fellow employee to bad mouth the team?
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #110
Mindful Taoist German

Gretz is a Peterson-pole swallowing kiss azz, and he can cram his comments where his head is.....

I'm confident GROB was a good person, but he's a $#it coordinator. There's just no way around that: he failed MISERABLY at his job.
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #111
CHANGEd your mind yet????

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrian
The difference is in the tone, if you fail to see the difference I am unable to explain it.
Don't think Gretz ever posted a piece on execution methods for Greg Robinson.
memyselfI has disabled reputation
Old 01-14-2004, 01:05 PM   #112
"Think ZOOM!"

Quote:
did you even read the original site?
headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.headsnap is too fat/Omaha.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #113

Quote:
Don't think Gretz ever posted a piece on execution methods for Greg Robinson.
Come on, most people denounced that thread. You act like 90% of the people here would've mailbombed the guy....
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #114
One4Mahomes

Wow. Guess I've done my job. I've pissed off Bob Gretz. Give me a call Gretz, then tell me how classless I am....better yet, do it face to face.
Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.Bootlegged is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #115
v^V^v^V^v^V^

Quote:
To miss quote Shakespeare, I think you ladies doth protest too much.
I have no problem with what Gretz wrote nor do I have a problem with Gretz.
If you listened to him during last weeks game you would have heard him talking about how bad the defense was, in fact all year he has been saying that this defense is bad.
But he is right you’re virulence that you are spewing on GR and now Gretz who has pointed it out does border on the irrational.
Ok ladies flame away.
From "It's not the players, it's the scheme. Greg Robinson has overstayed his welcome in Kansas City, and it's time for a change" when he still had the job to "Thank you Greg, you did the right thing" when he resigned.

Ooh, those hateful monsters over at firegregrobinson.com.
Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Ultra Peanut is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #116
CHANGEd your mind yet????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk13
Come on, most people denounced that thread. You act like 90% of the people here would've mailbombed the guy....
'Most' people? Really? Where, I must have missed it.

Oh, you mean now that he's gone people are saying 'let it go' and how stupid and dumb and pointless a thread like that was...

funny, didn't see the same sentiment much while he was still employed.
memyselfI has disabled reputation
Old 01-14-2004, 01:20 PM   #117
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsnap
did you even read the original site?
[I checked one particular site and all the articles had already been pulled and a thank you for doing the right thing

I would hope that when you start [referring] to fans with derogatory comments you remember that they (we) are the base of support for this team. If we didn't care we wouldn't speak up.]

I find these two sentences say it all, the first sentence says yea there was some nasty stuff written but it was removed. So in essence no harm no foul.

The second sentence, is we as the fans have a right to be as nasty as we want to be but how dare you @#$@! (add your favorite derogatory name for a horizontally challenged person) call us on it.
redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.redbrian is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:21 PM   #118
Supporter

Has anyone stopped to think that all the bagging on Gigli has introduced a great deal of stress to the fledgling relationship between J-Lo and Bennifer?
Think about THAT!!!!!
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:30 PM   #119
Champions

Quote:
If he hated the website, I'm sure he (and those he speaks for at 1 Arrowhead Drive) didn't like the Photoshop execution or napalm bombing of Greg Robinson...

let's hope they saw them and got a glimpse into what real 'class' is.
Can someone give me a boost? I can't quite reach her moral high ground.
Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.Talisman would the whole thing.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #120
"Think ZOOM!"

Quote:
[I checked one particular site and all the articles had already been pulled and a thank you for doing the right thing

I would hope that when you start [referring] to fans with derogatory comments you remember that they (we) are the base of support for this team. If we didn't care we wouldn't speak up.]

I find these two sentences say it all, the first sentence says yea there was some nasty stuff written but it was removed. So in essence no harm no foul.
where does it say there was some nasty stuff on it but it was removed?
[sarcasm]I want to thank you in advance for thinking for yourself[/sarcasm]

the articles were pulled after he resigned because THERE WAS NO LONGER A NEED FOR THEM!

here is the copy of the site that was up ten minutes before GRob resigned.
http://www.firegregrobinson.com/index2.html

click at your own risk.