Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 PM  
__

Believe it or not, Veach isn’t don’t yet.

So the rocky two years we’re looking at, cap wise, are 2020 and 2021.

But Mahomes just opened up everything by taking a $500m deal that’s still, somehow, a sweetheart deal for those two years, cap-wise.

We are basically at the cap right now assuming our draft picks swallow up the 6m in cap space we have post-Mahomes.

Jones’ deal, if he were extended, could open up about 10m in 2020. And we could have the cap space in 2021 if we do some smart finangling like effectively replace Fisher with Niang and/or extend Tyrann Matthieu and Travis Kelce. All sorts of options on the table there.

Of course, Jones being traded still makes the most sense, given the Chiefs apparent inaction towards him. That would net us 16m, and give us additional draft ammunition to replace Watkins or Jones or Hitchens or any of our starting corners in 2021/2022.

Of course, Jones could simply be traded for a player we could use, like Ngakuoe or Brandon Scherff + draft capital, both options would cost the team less than the Jones megadeal, which would allow us to sign Snacks, or some such player.

Or Jones could be extended and the defense could get further fortified if some free agent studs like Clowney bring their price down.

Give Veach some credit here: if your goal was to get a Jones deal by the deadline, or a well-valued trade for him to get some assets or players in return, then you needed to knock this massive domino down. And not only did Veach do that, he did it in such as way as it gives the team endless flexibility with Mahomes’ contract through at least 2027.

We ain’t done yet, folks. This is the golden era of Chiefs football.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #31
When pigs fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
yeah, nothing out there on how long his contract is.

Why would he leave? At least not until we get some more Super Bowls. But........

The only thing concerning is GM’s can get unlimited money. One of these billionaire owners could throw several brinks trucks full of cash at the guy and not even blink financially. They don’t care about the money, just winning.
Getting his QB signed long term, gives him a luxury few GMs have ever had. All he has to do is keep a core together around Mahomes while cycling through low cost guys to round it all out. He won't have a hot seat any time soon, unless he just totally shits the bed. If you ask me, that security is worth as much as any short term big payday.

Its a good time to be a Chiefs fan.
tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.tatorhog wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #32
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy View Post
You're a moron.. Clowney isnt coming here. Might as well just pay Chris Jones if that is the case
Yeah, **** Clowney for $15 million.

Like most here I think resigning Jones just became a helluva lot more probable.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #33
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy View Post
You're a moron.. Clowney isnt coming here. Might as well just pay Chris Jones if that is the case

Can you read?

The only way they have $$ to add Clowney is under the scenario of extending Jones long-term and doing it in a way that frees up cap in 2020.

It’s plausible that Clowney will pick a one-year spot that gives him the best chance to increase his market value if he can’t find the mega-deal he’s looking for from a team he wants to play for. This has been rumored before.

So look at the contenders around and look at it from that context. KC definitely would be a situation that gives him the opportunity to have a big statistical, highly visible year.

Is it likely? Shit, I wouldn’t say that. But it would make sense and is feasible if he decides to take that one-year deal at a lower rate with a contender.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #34
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
I don't think that's really far-fetched.

A Jones deal could clear a lot of his 2020 cap hit. If Clowney continues to be unable to find the long-term, megadeal he wants, he may look for a good one-year situation to increase his stock and accept a lower yearly rate ($12 million?)
I don't think this is a realistic scenario. Clowney's already turned down $18.5 million per year from Seattle and he's turned down Cleveland among other teams. The Raiders recently made a huge pitch to him (the numbers haven't been disclosed but it's been reported that it was much higher than any other offer he's received this year) and he hasn't signed with them, either.

I just can't see a scenario in which Clowney agrees to play for the Chiefs for $10-12 million per and even if $12 million was his asking price, half the league would jump into a bidding war, which would most likely leave the Chiefs out in the cold.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #35
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I don't think this is a realistic scenario. Clowney's already turned down $18.5 million per year from Seattle and he's turned down Cleveland among other teams. The Raiders recently made a huge pitch to him (the numbers haven't been disclosed but it's been reported that it was much higher than any other offer he's received this year) and he hasn't signed with them, either.

I just can't see a scenario in which Clowney agrees to play for the Chiefs for $10-12 million per and even if $12 million was his asking price, half the league would jump into a bidding war, which would most likely leave the Chiefs out in the cold.
I thought I read the Vegas offer was lower than what he had received so far, but longer in terms of years.

The whole scenario is built around the idea of Clowney not getting the long-term deal he wants and deciding to take a one-year shot. That's the key "if."

In that circumstance, what would he prioritize - straight money OR the best setup for him to have a crazy year and increase his market value?
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #36
Supporter

Quote:
I thought I read the Vegas offer was lower than what he had received so far, but longer in terms of years.
There seems to be varying reports about the Raiders and Clowney, with some saying it's less dollars and others saying it's more dollars than he's been offered to date, so it's a bit difficult to decode.

Quote:
The whole scenario is built around the idea of Clowney not getting the long-term deal he wants and deciding to take a one-year shot. That's the key "if."

In that circumstance, what would he prioritize - straight money OR the best setup for him to have a crazy year and increase his market value?
I'm with you and would absolutely LOVE to see Clowney in KC on a one year deal. I'm sure they could find a few guys that would be happy to renegotiate and push their salaries down the line a bit in order to win another Super Bowl and having Clowney for 19 games would be awesome.

But that said, I have difficulty believing he'd sign a deal worth $10-$12 million when he's currently in his Prime. If he tears a ligament, whether it's an ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, pectoral muscle or Achilles, he's not only looking at missing some serious time on the football field, his options for signing a long-term deal at age 28 while recovering from surgery would be slim to none.

With that in mind, I think he'd be better off long term by signing with the Seahawks, Raiders or Browns, who are offering in excess of $17.5 million per, instead of $10-$12 million with the Chiefs, especially considering the possibility of an injury ruining his chance for his big second contract payday.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #37
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief View Post
This all still feels too surreal to me. To have one of the best head coaches of all time, the best young QB in league history, a balls to the walls badass young GM, a roster loaded with young talent and an owner who gives them all the tools to ensure success.

It’s like, am I even a Chiefs’ fan? What the hell is really going on here?
I really hope Lamar is looking down going Hell yeah, my son is awesome!
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #38
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
I really hope Lamar is looking down going Hell yeah, my son is a goober but he is awesome!
FYP
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
threepeat
thirteenpeat
JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #40
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks View Post
thirteenpeat
Twentypeat!
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #41
__

Quote:
You have no idea where the Chiefs are with the Chris Jones negotiations and nothing matters until July 16th, the day after he's no longer allowed to sign a contract extension.

Deadline deals are done every year.
Thanks to reputable reporting, I do have some idea. It’s not ironclad but I rely on reputable reporting to give me some idea of what’s coming down the pipeline.

You do the same — you cited reporting that the Raiders offered the most to Clowney. (By the way, the reputable reporting I’ve read disputes that and cites Cleveland as the highest bidder, and that teams as of now have largely rescinded their offers as they’ve grown tired of Clowney’s intransigence.)

Quote:
What, wait? Why would the Chiefs trade Chris Jones for a player that wants $20 million per year? That makes ZERO sense, just like most of your posts.
Just throwing out a name that could be an equitable player ina player-for-player trade. Sub another name in as you please.

There has been some ballyhooing since Spags arrival that Jones is an imperfect fit in the scheme. I agree that he is, but he’s so damn talented it doesn’t matter, which is why I’d pay him.

But we know Spags is a stickler for what players on his DL should look and how they should play. And if he thinks $20m could be better spent on a player that “fits” versus a player that imperfectly fits, who knows.

Quote:
Clowney? Clowney? The Chiefs don't have the cap room for Clowney and they'd be stupid to pay him $15 million or more per year, which is below his asking price.

The Chiefs need inexpensive, productive players, not MORE players in the $20 million per year category.
Any deal the Chiefs ostensibly sign Clowney to would be a one-year, in my mind. I could go on but I’d only reiterate what Duncan has said throughout the thread.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #42
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superturtle View Post
Even when he's trying to be somewhat positive Direckshun still gets shit on.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:48 PM   #43
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
I think we've been given enough time, and we can confidently say that the idiot tinfoil hatters who thought Veach was hired as a yes-man-only lackey GM to Andy Reid were entirely wrong.

I mean, why would the organization lie about something like that in the first place? What would they have been hiding? There are plenty of teams that have a powerful head coach with official assigned duties involving personnel in which they work alongside a GM. The Eagles straight up said, "Andy does this on the personnel side. Howie Roseman does the other stuff." These days it's not that way. Because Clark Hunt ****ing said so.

It was that way with Dorsey, too. Reid had INPUT, but all well-run organizations give their head coaches input on personnel. That's what they said. In a press conference. And that's what they said when Veach was hired. And that's what Reid continues to say.

Why does everything have to be a goddamn conspiracy theory with some of you morons?
I think, given Reid’s history, it was a valid concern that Veach would be his butt boy. Reid clashes with Dorsey on at least one key decision, and Dorsey was soon ousted.

Though his tenure was imperfect, Dorsey didn’t deserve to be ousted — he was probably the best GM we’ve had before Veach came along. It was reasonable to see this as a power struggle with Reid.

Fortunately, for whatever reasons the Chiefs dismissed Dorsey, they had an even better GM in the wings. What Veach has done the last two seasons has been truly extraordinary.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #44
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
I think, given Reid’s history, it was a valid concern that Veach would be his butt boy. Reid clashes with Dorsey on at least one key decision, and Dorsey was soon ousted.

Though his tenure was imperfect, Dorsey didn’t deserve to be ousted — he was probably the best GM we’ve had before Veach came along. It was reasonable to see this as a power struggle with Reid.

Fortunately, for whatever reasons the Chiefs dismissed Dorsey, they had an even better GM in the wings. What Veach has done the last two seasons has been truly extraordinary.
For whatever reason? Really? How can you not see the difference here?

Veach has been amazing managing the cap. Dorsey was purely a scout...he just could not manage the cap competently.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #45
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
For whatever reason? Really? How can you not see the difference here?

Veach has been amazing managing the cap. Dorsey was purely a scout...he just could not manage the cap competently.
I agree with the criticism. But let’s be honest: dude was a hell of a scout, and his maneuvering to land us Mahomes was the single greatest draft move in Chiefs (and maybe NFL) history.

I’d say Dorsey was the best GM we’ve had so far, other than Veach, who other than his disastrous 2018 offseason has asserted himself since as the GOAT.