Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 AM  
MVP

Is it the line, or the running back?

I just thought since it comes up in every single thread, maybe we could talk about in one continuous conversation.

I think we'd all be in agreement that we need to be more consistent in the running game.

Some of us think the problem is lack of a talented enough RB to be a 'feature back'.

Some of us think that the biggest problem is that our interior offensive line is lousy, and when coupled with losing Fisher for half a season, was the biggest reason we were unable to run the ball.

Personally, I fall mostly in the second camp. I have no illusions that Damien Williams is a top 5 back; but I think with decent line play (such as we got once Fisher was back in the flow and Wisniewski took over LG) he can be effective when healthy. The problem is, he's never made a full season healthy; so I agree with taking a mid-round RB to provide competition and hopefully upgrade.

I think the interior offensive line is #2 on my priority list to upgrade, just after CB where we are dangerously thin. I don't believe that any RB upgrade will pay dividends without upgrading from OG-OG.

It's a chicken-and-the-egg argument really, but where do you come down?
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #46
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
Interior OL I would look to improve. Never a bad idea to invest in protecting the most valuable player in the NFL, let alone trying to improve the running game
This cuts to the heart of the matter for me

Is it the line?
Is it the back?

Break out of that paradigm and kill two birds with one stone... protect the franchise, AND improve the run game in one fell swoop by putting a legit blue chipper in the middle

That HAS to happen, IMHO
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #47
Banned

It's the line. It's always the line.

Shut up.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #48
Banned!

We clearly miss Morse, whom Chief Fan hated, oddly enough.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #49
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
LOL.

Honestly maybe the answer is go find the best FB as a UDFA and run a bunch of snaps with 2 FB in the backfield. Instead of having 2 TE for max protect, you have 2 FB.

Joking aside, our run game is the least important as it’s been in the history of the ****ing franchise. No longer are we relying on a run game to win anything. To pile on what Mecca said, a D without giant exploitable holes is far more likely to lead to more wins than a solid run game. (**** you Bob Sutton)

I don’t know what to do with my hands.
I was just thinking this the other day. I don't really want to do anything thats gonna take the ball out of Mahomes hands any more than we have to.

"We need to run to salt away the clock in the end of games when we have a lead" Nah, lets just let Pat throw it and go score again.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #50
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
OL was worse when Charles was in this offense. Didn’t matter.

OL was roughly the same when Hunt was in this offense. Wasn’t a problem.

There’s your answer
This.

It's the running back, not the offensive line.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #51
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I was just thinking this the other day. I don't really want to do anything thats gonna take the ball out of Mahomes hands any more than we have to.

"We need to run to salt away the clock in the end of games when we have a lead" Nah, lets just let Pat throw it and go score again.
Except that Reid gave Williams the ball late in the fourth quarter in order to burn the clock but instead, ripped off a 38 yard game winning run.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #52
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Except that Reid gave Williams the ball late in the fourth quarter in order to burn the clock but instead, ripped off a 38 yard game winning run.
True. And we still have him, so why do we need another one?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #53
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla View Post
We clearly miss Morse, whom Chief Fan hated, oddly enough.
Nah.

The Chiefs kept winning, despite a shitty running back room.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #54
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
True. And we still have him, so why do we need another one?
I'll say this again:

Williams has 1,231 rushing yards and 12 TD's in six seasons.

Kareem Hunt had 1,327 and 8 TD's in his rookie season.

Williams has never proven to be healthy over a single 16 games span.

The dude is talented but always hurt. So there's your reason.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #55
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I'll say this again:

Williams has 1,231 rushing yards and 12 TD's in six seasons.

Kareem Hunt had 1,327 and 8 TD's in his rookie season.

Williams has never proven to be healthy over a single 16 games span.

The dude is talented but always hurt. So there's your reason.
True. Again.

Grab one in the 2nd or 3rd round and we'll be good.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #56
Future NBA Finals MVP

Wow, kudos to most of you. I figured most of you would say "we are set at RB we won the Super Bewls and looks how good Damien was!!".
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #57
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Wow, kudos to most of you. I figured most of you would say "we are set at RB we won the Super Bewls and looks how good Damien was!!".
Aren't you the guy that said "we don't need to run at all; just throw it on every down!" last season?
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #58
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Aren't you the guy that said "we don't need to run at all; just throw it on every down!" last season?
We don't. It's a luxury. If we had a good running back, I'd be more willing to run the ball but only on certain downs and situations. Running it on 1st down is rarely an effective strategy with Patrick Mahomes + Andy Reid.

Running the ball matters for us in the second half and situational football. 2nd and 3, 3rd and 1. Makes you less exploitable. But most teams by far run the ball way, way too much. Unless you have Derrick Henry style offense, you are just giving up expected points every time you run the ball on 1st and 10's and 2nd and 8+
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #59
Politically Incorrect

Emmitt Smith was a good running back but he ran behind an offensive line that was incredible. Probably added another 4,000-5,000 yards he would have never gained.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #60
Three-Pat

If you have an elite RB you can afford a less than stellar run blocking Oline. If you don’t then you need great run blockers. They can make an average RB look good and good ones great. Big question is which is easier and cheaper to get?
tredadda has disabled reputation