Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 AM  
Always ask 'Why?"

Hey Small Business Owners...What are you doing to ride the storm out?

How are you handling HR issues?

Are you applying for SBA loans?
There are several types of loans. And new info is appearing daily.

Capital up to $10MM.
Up to 30 years to repay. Some actually are forgivable.
3.75 to 4%

https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/

https://www.inc.com/kevin-j-ryan/sma...incthismorning

My world: Everyone at the software companies are working remotely. The chocolate factory shut down yesterday due to not be considered an essential business. The chocolate elve had already left due to health concerns. I handle all the commercial rentals myself so no impact:

I don't intend to lay-off anybody...if this stretches into June or July...then we may look at cutting salaries by 25 to 50%. With the $1,200 everyone is getting already from the gov, and the 4 month unemployment (+$600/week additional), if we have to do layoffs, then the Team will not be totally without funds.

What are you doing to ride the storm out?

Last edited by Trivers; 04-02-2020 at 06:02 AM..
Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.Trivers is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #76
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSteam View Post
I went back to work...
Brick and stone dont lay themselves.
It was a nice break though.
Neither does pipe.

It's a rough job, but someone has to do it.
ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #77
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post
My bank told me the same time yesterday, notorious.

They know very little about what will be available until the bill gets passed. I asked while I changed his oil today.
Thanks.

I deal with small town banks. They know farm loans and home mortgages. That's about it.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #78
In Search of a Life

I just wish they’d hurry the **** up woth this

People can’t wait forever on it
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #79
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I just wish they’d hurry the **** up woth this

People can’t wait forever on it
I'd be on the phone with Aspen Dental's HR if I were you..
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #80
The Constitutional Choo choo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghak99 View Post
Neither does pipe.

It's a rough job, but someone has to do it.
Yes sir
LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #81
Cool as a Cucumber

This is a FB post by the owner of Little Apple Brewery in Manhattan KS yesterday, sorry it's kind of long.

So, here we are, yet another day of diminishing prospects and frustration. The SBA Disaster Loan application site was down all day. It figures, probably crashed under the weight of hundred of thousands of users trying to access. Last night, I spent two hours getting two pages done, the site is clunky and inefficient. Very disappointing. I’ll try again tomorrow.
I don’t know how many of you saw the Tucker Carlson show last night on Fox. Disclaimer: I am not a Fox watcher or follower of any of their personalities. But, in the interest of providing salient information for restaurant owners, there was a segment featuring Wolfgang Puck and Thomas Keller, two of the most pre-eminent chefs and restaurant owners in the country. They voiced a concern and subsequent solution for many restaurant owners, one that I have been lobbying my federally elected representatives for nearly every day over the past two weeks.
The issue is Business Interruption/Income insurance, and the fact that insurance companies across the country are blanketly denying these claims. There are two issues here: virtually all policies exclude ‘viruses’: and conditioning claims under Civil Authority (mandatory governmental closings) clauses with ‘physical damages’. I ask you, who knew? Who reads the fine print of these 150-page policies? And who among us anticipated the situation we find ourselves in?
The solution offered by Puck and Keller is identical to the one I have been futilely pleading my elected representatives to pursue; have the Federal government force insurance companies to honor these claims and then back the payment of benefits with funding and subsidies. This is a simple approach to a growing nightmare amongst restaurant owners.
Consider the application and documentation process required to qualify for federal assistance. It is a formidable endeavor for a small business owner who may not have the resources available to complete the application for a favorable result. And then, the backlog of submissions, the understaffed federal agencies, the wait for response and potentially additional qualifying corroboration. Many will not survive the process, the clock is moving fast. Decisions need to be made tomorrow.
A more desirable avenue for relief and restoration lies in the insurance industry, we all know our agent. A simple phone call, a review of plummeting sales, file a claim, have an adjustor review it, check in the mail. That is how this should work, not the mountain of red tape and bureaucracy we are seeing. Think of this, when the president of the country and the director of the CDC stand in front of the American people and say “Don’t go to restaurants”, that is the death knell, the order for mandatory closure. Business owners should have protection as provided for in their policies regardless of fine print language!
So a little advice if you have B/I insurance, and this may be remedial for some of you, read your policy, check with your agent to see if your carrier has issued a position statement, if so file a claim even if your agent discourages it. At the same time contact your State insurance commission and file a complaint against your carrier. Cover your bases, show due diligence.
If you are in the restaurant industry and looking for marching orders, here they are. Every day, first thing, write your federally elected representatives, both senators and your congressman. That is essential. There needs to be a groundswell, and it needs to be sustained. I’m sure we all have a myriad of concerns about the effect of this crisis on our businesses, voice them. Emphasize the insurance issue. We need serious activation, if Puck and Keller can step it up, we can too.
Please share if you know somebody the industry.
KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #82
Supporter

That might have been the easiest loan app I have ever filled out and submitted.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #83
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower View Post
I'd be on the phone with Aspen Dental's HR if I were you..
I might

They’re gonna be in trouble to if this drags
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #84
Politically Incorrect

Working my balls off at Amazon - I have 60 hours a week scheduled until April 30th: 40 Regular and 20 OT at double time.

Cash flow getting pretty good.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #85
Veteran

Hi all, Will apologize for the length of this in advance

I run the consulting department for a company that specializes in small business management (typical clients are contractors, manufacturers, distributors, retails, etc. as small at $3M in revenues, generally around $20 - $30M / 30 - 50 employees on average, some companies much larger, but all privately held). our company has been around for 34+ years, I've personally been with the company for just under 7....

I will not specifically name my company here (to avoid sounding like I'm soliciting for business), but if anyone wants or needs questions answered, more info, etc., I'd be more than happy to answer anything as best I can. Additionally, our company has set up a free hotline for any business person to call for 100% free advice. PM me if you'd like more information on any of this.

In normal times, we help our clients will all aspects of their business (financial, operational, organization, sales & marketing). I can tell you definitely that there is nothing normal about these times. I don't have any specialized training for this contingency, other than I've personally spent hours upon hours researching the SBA, DOL, State sites, reading executive orders, etc., all in hopes of providing our clients the best advice I possibly can. To be sure, what I'm reading is no different the what anyone else has access to online, but I have noted that most of my clients have no idea where to go and look or simply don't take the time to educate themselves.

To start: What we've stressed with our clients is to protect the following three areas: Your People, The Integrity of your Operations, and your liquidity. To a degree, you have to focus on all three of these areas, as if you ignore any one of them, then it will be difficult to sustain during any shut down period, and certainly more difficult to start back up. Each of these areas then get more definition based upon the type of business. Since each client is unique and different, the specifics on the plan will vary, but there are some generic things that will apply to most (albeit "essential" and "non-essential" businesses will vary as well).

Some generic things:

Liquidity: Do a cash sustainability analysis. What does that mean? With current cash in hand and availability through your lines of credit, how many weeks can you survive given any cash in and cash burn week to week. This will go a long way into determining what you may need to cut in cash burn. And by all means, apply for the SBA EIDL and (if applicable) any bridge loans you qualify for (there has been some decent advice in this thread thus far). Even if you don't want them, or ultimately don't need them, get in the system now! otherwise, you will be in competition with hundreds of thousands of others vying for the same thing if you ultimately decide that you may actually need it. Also, make sure you are looking at state and local funding. We have talked with the U.S. Conference of Mayors, and there will be CDBG money likely coming available, and some states (such as FL and NH, sure there are others) already are funding their own bridge loans.

Next: Talk with your bank. demand that they abate monthly loan payments, or go to interest only for three - six months, with a payment plan to pay down principle for the next 6 - 8 months after the abatement. Talk with your landlord and defer rental payments as well. If need be, offer up smaller payments, then add remainder to later amounts. Make the point that you are not trying to screw anybody, but simply trying to survive. Make sure banks they can still service your business properly (EFTs, Credit Card transactions, loans, etc.) even working remotely.

Operations: Stay in constant contact with your customers and suppliers. If you are up and running, let your customers know that you are still alive and open for business, how you are maintaining the health and welfare of your people and cleanliness of your facilities. Offer up discounts to your key customers and those operating on the front-lines. But you have to be the aggressor, you customers may not be there thinking of you and buying. create call lists, and script out the dialog. With your suppliers, you want to make sure that (again, if operating) they can meet your demand and keep supply moving and offer any help you can if they need it.

Next: Make sure you have a handle on your inventory and you know exactly how much stock you have and potentially need. Again, in communication with you suppliers, make sure they can fulfill if necessary, and schedule out deliveries in line with cash availability.

People: The hardest part to discuss, since every state is different in regards to protection. But generally: Communicate with your remote and temp lay-off employees daily. Make sure you have a call tree with all names and numbers. Your sustainability analysis from above will give you insight on weekly payroll cash requirements, so you have to be real that people are going to be impacted. As best you can, arm yourself with all local, state and federal UI, particularly any new legislation (such as Family First). Most states are relaxing UI application processes, and offering more. You need to know how to direct them to these things.

Most importantly: everybody has some degree of stress, some very significant. But as a business owner, you have to be the leader. Your people are looking to you for answers, and honestly, at this point, there are not a lot of great answers to give them. But you have to be the "rock" of stability here. And please don't be afraid to get help!

Finally, with nothing by any means definitive, we believe that this is going to be 3 months of hell (April / May / June)....that's not to say that businesses cannot operate or do so under restriction for 3 months, but simply the next three months is a more realistic outlook than 2 - 4 weeks.

OK, I've written enough, and hope there are a couple nuggets you all can take out of this, Again, if anyone wants to ask any questions, I'll be monitoring this thread throughout the day, and PM me if anyone wants to talk more specifically on any situation they may need some help (again, my company also has a 100% hotline, answered by a person, that will help any business owner with their questions)

Last edited by mililo4cpa; 03-27-2020 at 06:07 AM..
mililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 03-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #86
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Smitty View Post
This is a FB post by the owner of Little Apple Brewery in Manhattan KS yesterday, sorry it's kind of long.

So, here we are, yet another day of diminishing prospects and frustration. The SBA Disaster Loan application site was down all day. It figures, probably crashed under the weight of hundred of thousands of users trying to access. Last night, I spent two hours getting two pages done, the site is clunky and inefficient. Very disappointing. I’ll try again tomorrow.
I don’t know how many of you saw the Tucker Carlson show last night on Fox. Disclaimer: I am not a Fox watcher or follower of any of their personalities. But, in the interest of providing salient information for restaurant owners, there was a segment featuring Wolfgang Puck and Thomas Keller, two of the most pre-eminent chefs and restaurant owners in the country. They voiced a concern and subsequent solution for many restaurant owners, one that I have been lobbying my federally elected representatives for nearly every day over the past two weeks.
The issue is Business Interruption/Income insurance, and the fact that insurance companies across the country are blanketly denying these claims. There are two issues here: virtually all policies exclude ‘viruses’: and conditioning claims under Civil Authority (mandatory governmental closings) clauses with ‘physical damages’. I ask you, who knew? Who reads the fine print of these 150-page policies? And who among us anticipated the situation we find ourselves in?
The solution offered by Puck and Keller is identical to the one I have been futilely pleading my elected representatives to pursue; have the Federal government force insurance companies to honor these claims and then back the payment of benefits with funding and subsidies. This is a simple approach to a growing nightmare amongst restaurant owners.
Consider the application and documentation process required to qualify for federal assistance. It is a formidable endeavor for a small business owner who may not have the resources available to complete the application for a favorable result. And then, the backlog of submissions, the understaffed federal agencies, the wait for response and potentially additional qualifying corroboration. Many will not survive the process, the clock is moving fast. Decisions need to be made tomorrow.
A more desirable avenue for relief and restoration lies in the insurance industry, we all know our agent. A simple phone call, a review of plummeting sales, file a claim, have an adjustor review it, check in the mail. That is how this should work, not the mountain of red tape and bureaucracy we are seeing. Think of this, when the president of the country and the director of the CDC stand in front of the American people and say “Don’t go to restaurants”, that is the death knell, the order for mandatory closure. Business owners should have protection as provided for in their policies regardless of fine print language!
So a little advice if you have B/I insurance, and this may be remedial for some of you, read your policy, check with your agent to see if your carrier has issued a position statement, if so file a claim even if your agent discourages it. At the same time contact your State insurance commission and file a complaint against your carrier. Cover your bases, show due diligence.
If you are in the restaurant industry and looking for marching orders, here they are. Every day, first thing, write your federally elected representatives, both senators and your congressman. That is essential. There needs to be a groundswell, and it needs to be sustained. I’m sure we all have a myriad of concerns about the effect of this crisis on our businesses, voice them. Emphasize the insurance issue. We need serious activation, if Puck and Keller can step it up, we can too.
Please share if you know somebody the industry.
Couple of things:

SBA loan appears to be net of any Business Interruption Insurance, so keep pushing through the SBA process (as frustrating as that may be at this point, because even if you have BI, that would only reduce the amount of SBA EIDL...Obviously, if you don't have BI, then (at least in theory), the SBA will account for that. NOTE: you don't have to have settled insurance inquiries to apply, don't have to know the impact of loss to apply, and you don't have to accept funding even if approved.

There are also other bridge type loans through the SBA, so get familiar with all the options

The SBA website has been crazy slow for past 1.5 weeks, and was down past several. As of yesterday, it appeared to be back up and running, but online application was down. Instead, they ask to upload a .pdf version of the app. One option that I'm trying to get feedback on is on on-site visit. I was trying to go and find the search area on SBA that shows physical locations, but my guess is that may (or may not...idk) be better than trying to upload on-line. NOTE: my company filled out a hard copy form, send via FEDEx with delivery confirmation to the SBA....
mililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellimililo4cpa 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:22 AM   #87
Supporter

It took all of 6-7 minutes to download, fill, and upload around 10:15 last night.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
It took all of 6-7 minutes to download, fill, and upload around 10:15 last night.
yeah....if the website is up and running, it's very easy....the problem was the website was very slow and down for a few days.

I believe it may have been two-fold: one, sheer number of applications going in; and (b) it appears they've updated all of the declaration areas with fact sheets, loan application details, etc., which wasn't the case a week ago. That's a lot of information they needed to load
Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 AM   #89
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
on the sba site?
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #90
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post
on the sba site?
Yessir. Sba.gov and they have a link to the application in a bright yellow stripe on the top of the screen.

I actually freaked out when I submitted because it was too easy and thought I might be on a fraudulent website.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote