Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 PM  
Supporter

Just got my first pellet smoker. Any tips?

Honestly, I wasn't even looking for one, but I was at Sam's Club on Saturday and their demo company was selling the Z-grill700-2F. The guy pitched it to me and I was sold. The fact that he had one left in the box, and 2 already built displays left, one which I was able to buy, closed the deal. The price was great too. It was only $399. They have the same model on the company website, on sale, for $529.
Anyway. I brought it home and immediately burned it in and grilled some steaks and pork chops on it, which turned out great. I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
I know that you guys are the kings of all things BBQ, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like this is going to make smoking a breeze. Fill the hopper, set the PID, and go. Is it really that easy with pellet smokers?
jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #76
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchieffan View Post
I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
I prefer 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 (babybacks) but I use chicken broth or applejuice instead of water.
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #77
Cheat Death

I prefer 275F for pork anything but like all things BBQ related YMMV depending on your setup and your personal preferences. Obviously there's some best practices, but you can use the same cut of meat at the same temp for the same duration on 2 different cookers and the results will vary.

Just tinker around with yours to find what works best to your liking and enjoy the process.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #78
MVP

You are really reaching...

You are younger than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
Cooper the tranny expert
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #79
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
This is great so that the rib meat doesn't get caught in your dentures
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:44 PM   #80
MVP

Meat, fire, salt and pepper = Burp

Does it matter what it’s cooked on?

All kidding aside....I love learning from Malcom Reed “How to BBQ right” website.
jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.jdubya is too fat/Omaha.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:16 PM   #81
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
Get one of these to use exclusively for cleaning out the ash in the firebox.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-H...0100/202017218
I recommend a water trap when sucking ash. Learned it from this hillbilly.

Don’t send this shit through your vacuum. And more importantly don’t ****ing breathe it when you clean the filter. Water is your friend, folks.

Bucket, duct tape, extra hose, win.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...famp_page=true
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #82
MVP

I thought the whole idea of pellets was for lazy ****s, now water traps for vacuums?

I guess there's a reason it's called a "Homer" bucket
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #83
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
I thought the whole idea of pellets was for lazy ****s, now water traps for vacuums?

I guess there's a reason it's called a "Homer" bucket
Are you ever not a raging ****ing twat?

Look, dude. I have never not once vacuumed out my pellet grill. But if you have to ever vacuum ashes you should use a water trap.

I use a water trap because I have a waste oil furnace in the shop. But if you want to bring out your shop vac and suck that shit out of the furnace, be my ****ing guest.

And I have no clue if the models these guys are buying have the shut down procedure that burns out the firebox. If they don't they probably need vacuum out the firebox when they change the foil.

But do you man, condescend away. Just understand that you are being a raging ****ing twat.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 13 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #84
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchieffan View Post
That's the one I got, except that I got the 2F, which is this year's model. It has a PID and 2 probes. I got it at Sam's, but this link at Amazon has the best pictures and description.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pd_rd_wg=4cwbZ
Oh, that's nice. I like the ones that have the built in temp probes. Mine didn't have that but luckily I already had one that I got for cheap on one of Amazon's big sales days.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #85
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
Damn modern conveniences. Why the other day the grandkid was asking me why didn’t I buy ribs from a grocery store instead of butchering hogs in the backyard and making my suburban neighbors mad at me.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #86
Spaceman Spiff

Love my Grilla, but it won't put out near the heavy smoke as a traditional offset. I like being able to start something the night before and not have to worry about the temp. Just like coffee, you get diminishing returns on cost and effort after a certain point.

Quality of cut=temp control>prep>type of wood and so on...

I will say that one of the biggest things to get used to for me is that different smokers have different air flow. I feel like a pellet grill gives a better flavor at lower temperatures. If i try to smoke at a higher temp the the smoke doesn't penetrate as easily. I've adjusted a lot of my cooks accordingly. Ie. pork shoulder on an offset I would be a slightly higher temp, but I knock it down a bit for the pellet. My opinion ymmv.
Whosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 05-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #87
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Are you ever not a raging ****ing twat?
I think we all know the answer to that.

Quote:
Look, dude. I have never not once vacuumed out my pellet grill. But if you have to ever vacuum ashes you should use a water trap.

I use a water trap because I have a waste oil furnace in the shop. But if you want to bring out your shop vac and suck that shit out of the furnace, be my ****ing guest.

And I have no clue if the models these guys are buying have the shut down procedure that burns out the firebox. If they don't they probably need vacuum out the firebox when they change the foil.

But do you man, condescend away. Just understand that you are being a raging ****ing twat.
My Zgrill has a shut down procedure that burns out the firebox and I always use it. I guess I assumed that his does, too.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #88
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
I think we all know the answer to that.

My Zgrill has a shut down procedure that burns out the firebox and I always use it. I guess I assumed that his does, too.
I'm sure most of the newer ones do, but I don't know.

Bottom line, if you're going to vacuum ashes, of any kind, use a water trap. And cooper is a jackass.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #89
Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure most of the newer ones do, but I don't know.

Bottom line, if you're going to vacuum ashes, of any kind, use a water trap. And cooper is a jackass.
My Traeger has this feature of the burnout shut down setting.
theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.theoldcoach is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #90
C Chiefs once a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldcoach View Post
My Traeger has this feature of the burnout shut down setting.
Same. I just vacuum it out the next session after it's had a chance to cool off for a few days.
Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.