Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 PM  
Supporter

Just got my first pellet smoker. Any tips?

Honestly, I wasn't even looking for one, but I was at Sam's Club on Saturday and their demo company was selling the Z-grill700-2F. The guy pitched it to me and I was sold. The fact that he had one left in the box, and 2 already built displays left, one which I was able to buy, closed the deal. The price was great too. It was only $399. They have the same model on the company website, on sale, for $529.
Anyway. I brought it home and immediately burned it in and grilled some steaks and pork chops on it, which turned out great. I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
I know that you guys are the kings of all things BBQ, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like this is going to make smoking a breeze. Fill the hopper, set the PID, and go. Is it really that easy with pellet smokers?
jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:04 AM   #31
In Search of a Life

Pellet Grills/Smokers are just that, a combo. They do a great job of grilling meat. I put a seer on my steaks first in a cast iron pan... They smoke OK, actually pretty good, for little work, but it's obviously not as good as an actual stick smoker...
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:24 AM   #32
MVP

I wouldn't eat the pellets if I were you.
Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:32 AM   #33
Retired Bearcat

Seems like you're getting quality advice here

I've always looked at it as each smoker/grill is different.

Each persons taste/preference is different.

There are a ton of ways you can smoke or grill meat and someone will disagree.

My favorite part of grilling and smoking is the actual act of standing next to the grill while poking around trying to come up with ideas.

If I did have one opinion to offer would be to buy cheap meat at first. Grab you a cold ones(s) and spend a weekend messing with it. You can change so much when smoking meats. Everything from prep to cooking times and temps. Don't waste a lot of money on an expensive piece of meat until you get YOUR recipe and time/temps down.

Just my 2 cents
HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #34
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

THis might be worth a watch. I've always found this guy to give honest and good advice.

GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #35
Stroking to the SB Champs!

I have a Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill Smoker. I absolutely love it. Smoking has as much, if not more, to do with prepping the meat as it does smoking it. So, I scoff at all the “traditionalists” that say pellet grills can’t provide the same smoke and flavor as stick burners. It’s a load of BS

Enjoy the pellet grill. They are fun and easy to use.
ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiTown is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:55 AM   #36
Go Chiefs!

You can get plenty of smoke in your meat from a pellet smoker. I just did two pork butts and a brisket in my pellet smoker and they turned out great. I also have a stick burner. One thing you can do with a pellet smoker that you can’t do with a stick burner is to cook food over night. Throw your meat on the smoker at a temp of around 200 degrees and let it cook low and slow while you sleep. Turn the temp up when you wake up and the food is ready sooner. There’s fun in managing a fire then there are times you just want the food because you have other things to do also.
chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chop must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #37
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
I have a Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill Smoker. I absolutely love it. Smoking has as much, if not more, to do with prepping the meat as it does smoking it. So, I scoff at all the “traditionalists” that say pellet grills can’t provide the same smoke and flavor as stick burners. It’s a load of BS

Enjoy the pellet grill. They are fun and easy to use.

Yep, that's the exact model I have. The beast weighs about as much as a small bus and does a fantastic job of smoking. The thickness of the steel really helps me out when it gets colder around here as well. I have had stick burners in the past and as you stated, you can't tell the difference in the end product.
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #38
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
You know I suffer from PTSD right? Thanks for starting my Monday with a bang.
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #39
Mammoth penis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
Just your childish post.

Glad to see you're posting like the Bar S "Weiner" you really are.
And then you did exactly what I said you would.

MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #40
MVP

Should have never said any thing about a stick burner. Just not into pellet.

For those those that like their pellet smokers. I have no issue there. You do you, boo boo.

But a traeger box store knockoff isn't going to perform as well like a yoder.

What did the yoder run, $2500 without the competition cart? Big difference in the $300-500 smokers in the OP than the professional 2+ thousand dollar Yoder smokers.
Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #41
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSponge View Post
Should have never said any thing about a stick burner. Just not into pellet.

For those those that like their pellet smokers. I have no issue there. You do you, boo boo.

But a traeger box store knockoff isn't going to perform as well like a yoder.

What did the yoder run, $2500 without the competition cart? Big difference in the $300-500 smokers in the OP than the professional 2+ thousand dollar Yoder smokers.

https://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet/...-pellet-grill/
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #42
Ain't no relax!

For best results, pre-soak your pellets in liquid smoke.

Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:49 AM   #43
Mammoth penis

I've always been a bbq purest, would only smoke over wood and grill over charcoal. Then last year my buddy wanted me to make some ribs on his new RecTeq pellet smoker for his daughter's graduation party. I offered to make them at home on my offset then bring them over but he insisted so after warning him they wouldn't be as good as they normally are I said fine.

As much as I hate to admit it, they were nearly identical to what I've made for years on my WSM and offset. So I bought a RecTeq Stampede for myself and haven't regretted it at all. The only thing I don't like about it is it's making me lazy and I've been finding myself using it more than my stick burners.
MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by In58men View Post
You know I suffer from PTSD right? Thanks for starting my Monday with a bang.
Do you really?
dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #45
Wasted away again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
pellet smokers are like automatic trannys. Just because most people buy the automatic doesn't make them better.
A good friend took first in ribs at the Jacks Daniels World Championship Invitational Barbecue contest a few years ago with a pellet smoker.

As usual, you don't know what the **** you are talking about.
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 7 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote