Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 07-01-2022, 04:26 PM  
All about that Paper Boi

Best Teams of the 21st Century?

I came cross this post on Facebook the other day and it kinda got me thinking on it. This is just some random dude and I know this is a Chiefs site so we’re likely to have some bias..

Most of the top comments were mentioning how the top rated teams couldn’t be considered the best since they didn’t win the Super Bowl.

I think you also have to consider at which point you’re taking them. Is it their peak? Is it a cumulative thing for the entire year?

Initially I wanted to move the 2013 Seahawks up a bit higher, but didn’t know who they could replace. And I also had to question whether placing the 2019 Chiefs there was a homer pick, but that was an amazing squad.

Idk. Lots of thoughts, but which team or teams do you think were the best of the bunch since the year 2000?
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #31
All about that Paper Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
Pretty tough, for sure.

They were #1 in Pts at 589 and #4 in Opp Pts at 274 to go with that margin.

The single best season that ended in victory occurred just before the "21st Century," even though the Super Bowl was in it, with the 99 Rams who finished #1 in Pt Diff at 284, #1 in Pts at 526, and #4 in Opp Pts at 242.

The other next closest to what NEP did in 07 was probably the 98 Vikings.

If I created a list that only included SB winners, I'd probably go with:

1. 2016 New England Patriots (17-2)

#1 Pt Dif (191), #3 Pts For (441), #1 Opp Pts (250). This was the most dominant differential and overall highest combined rankings of any SB winner in the 21st century.

2. 2004 New England Patriots (17-2)

#1 Pt Dif (177), #4 Pts For (437), #2 Opp Pts (260). The next most dominant season in what matters, points.

3. 2017 Philadelphia Eagles (16-3)

#1T Pt Dif (162), #3 Pts For (457), #4 Opp Pts (295). Storybook ending to one of the best seasons as a whole.

4. 2019 Kansas City Chiefs (15-4)

#4 Pt Dif (143), #5 Pts For (451), #7 Opp Pts (308). An electrifying offense and an offseason full of insane comebacks put this one on the list.

5. 2013 Seattle Seahawks (16-3)

#2 Pt Dif (186), #9 Pts For (417), #1 Opp Pts (231). Capped a great season with a dominating defensive performance against a really good offense.

Honorable Mention: 2000 Baltimore Ravens (16-4)

#2 Pt Dif (168), #14 Pts For (333), #1 Opp Pts (165). The most dominating defensive season outside of the '85 Bears needs mentioning.

Here's all the SB Winners since 2000 with their Pt Diff, Pts For, and Opp Pts:

Spoiler!

Kccrow from the top rope! This is a good post, good info.

I somehow had forgotten how dominant that 2016 Patriots team was. #3 scoring offense and #1 scoring defense. And yet, they barely won the championship that year. They wouldn't have if anyone on that Falcons offensive coaching staff had a brain ce after halftime.

I'm also glad you mentioned the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers. They were great teams, but offenses led by Dilfer and, was it, Brad Johnson? I wouldn't think they'd fare well in a tournament with all of these others.

I suppose if I were ranking top 5 offenses:

1. 2007 Patriots
2. 2013 Broncos
3. 2018 Chiefs
4. 2004 Colts
5. 2011 Packers

Maybe something like that. I could definitely see the 2019 Ravens, 2015 Panthers, or 2011 Saints on the list.

Top 5 defenses:

1. 2000 Ravens
2. 2002 Buccaneers
3. 2013 Seahawks
4. 2015 Broncos
5. 2003 Patriots

I'm probably missing some good ones here but honorable mentions to 2019 49ers, 2008 Steelers, 2011 49ers, and maybe someone like the 2006 Bears? That Bears D dragged Rex Grossman to the Super Bowl lol
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:44 PM   #32
MVP

I think the best takeaway is that the list shows how important it is to be top 10 in points for and points against if you're going to be a SB champion. The NYG being, of course, the biggest statistical anomaly overall in their two wins.

I mean, you'd think it would go without saying that you have to score and hold teams to not scoring (a true duh moment), but you'd think there'd be more average outputs that won it. Most of these teams are solidly in the top 10 in both and many in the top 5.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #33
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Hawks View Post
All teams that aren't the KC Chiefs are PIECES OF SHIT!!!
I KNOW THATS WRITE!!!!
carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.carcosa is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:47 PM   #34
What's up braj?

Quote:
I think the best takeaway is that the list shows how important it is to be top 10 in points for and points against if you're going to be a SB champion. The NYG being, of course, the biggest statistical anomaly overall in their two wins.

I mean, you'd think it would go without saying that you have to score and hold teams to not scoring (a true duh moment), but you'd think there'd be more average outputs that won it. Most of these teams are solidly in the top 10 in both and many in the top 5.
Did you know the only team to ever lead the league in offense and defense in the same season didn’t even make the playoffs?
Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:21 PM   #35
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
Did you know the only team to ever lead the league in offense and defense in the same season didn’t even make the playoffs?
By yards, yes. The 2010 Chargers had truly horrible special teams.

By points, the 1996 Packers were #1 on offense and defense and won the Super Bowl.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #36
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Pretty tough, for sure.

They were #1 in Pts at 589 and #4 in Opp Pts at 274 to go with that margin.

The single best season that ended in victory occurred just before the "21st Century," even though the Super Bowl was in it, with the 99 Rams who finished #1 in Pt Diff at 284, #1 in Pts at 526, and #4 in Opp Pts at 242.

The other next closest to what NEP did in 07 was probably the 98 Vikings.

If I created a list that only included SB winners, I'd probably go with:

1. 2016 New England Patriots (17-2)
#1 Pt Dif (191), #3 Pts For (441), #1 Opp Pts (250). This was the most dominant differential and overall highest combined rankings of any SB winner in the 21st century.

2. 2004 New England Patriots (17-2)
#1 Pt Dif (177), #4 Pts For (437), #2 Opp Pts (260). The next most dominant season in what matters, points.

3. 2017 Philadelphia Eagles (16-3)
#1T Pt Dif (162), #3 Pts For (457), #4 Opp Pts (295). Storybook ending to one of the best seasons as a whole.

4. 2019 Kansas City Chiefs (15-4)
#4 Pt Dif (143), #5 Pts For (451), #7 Opp Pts (308). An electrifying offense and an offseason full of insane comebacks put this one on the list.

5. 2013 Seattle Seahawks (16-3)
#2 Pt Dif (186), #9 Pts For (417), #1 Opp Pts (231). Capped a great season with a dominating defensive performance against a really good offense.

Honorable Mention: 2000 Baltimore Ravens (16-4)
#2 Pt Dif (168), #14 Pts For (333), #1 Opp Pts (165). The most dominating defensive season outside of the '85 Bears needs mentioning.

Here's all the SB Winners since 2000 with their Pt Diff, Pts For, and Opp Pts:
Spoiler!
Looking at that list, it’s interesting that the 2009 Saints aren’t getting any attention. Also, LOL at the 2011 Giants with a negative points differential.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:47 PM   #37

Quote:

Yeah QB is still the most important thing but guys like Rodgers and Brees wasted a lot of time with some pretty bad defenses. It's partly why they both only have 1 ring. Even Mahomes has been derailed by a bad defense. Once you get to the playoffs there just too many good QBs, you're going to get exposed.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #38
All about that Paper Boi

Quote:

It is a bit surprising, though it makes perfect sense.

I wonder how the numbers would look if you included the final four teams from each year's championship games.. I'd bet we'd get a great deal more variation but still drive home the point of needing a balanced squad to win it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Looking at that list, it’s interesting that the 2009 Saints aren’t getting any attention. Also, LOL at the 2011 Giants with a negative points differential.

In my defense, those were dark times for Chiefs fans. I pretty much tuned out of the NFL from 07-09.

The only reason I mentioned the 08 Steelers defense is because I happened across some stats on them a few years ago. That defense only gave up 3.9 yards per play! That is in-****ing-sane. For reference, the 2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos defenses gave up closer to 4.5 YPP.

But yes, that 09 Saints team was generally an outlier with that strong O and weak D. Interestingly, it was that big INT by Tracy Porter that truly sealed the deal for them.