Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 PM  
The Maintenance Guy

Any stereo speaker experts around here?

Or at least someone more knowledgeable than me anyway.

Since I, like everyone else, have been spending more time at home, I'm getting around to projects that have been sitting around for a while. I've been wanting replacement woofers for some cool older Optimus speakers and I'm having trouble finding an exact match. First off, I'm not even sure how to measure for size, I think they're 4 1/2"? Or do I measure the metal frame of the speaker as well?

Also, the impedance printed on the speaker itself says 6 ohms, but the data plate on the cabinet says 8 ohms. Which is it? And the wattage says 65 with a max of 130. So anything in between is ok? Or do I want to look for 65?

Any help is appreciated!

Pics for reference:

Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #31
Fight, build, win!

My old Electrostats. You can see the foam surround is wet looking and sticky. That was a mistake by the manufacture the adhesive they used eventually broke down the foam.

srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #32
MVP

Anybody remember the Kraco being the highlight of the Kmart and Venture stereo displays? You can go to a junkyard and salvage them from the camaros and el caminos, along with the fosgate power booster and equalizer.
jerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #33
Hockey Town

I am apparently the only person who has love for Sonos.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #34
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
They are fine for what they are glorified expensive satellite speaks that cant hold a candle to well designed bookshelf or towers.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #35
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
They are fine for what they are glorified expensive satellite speaks that cant hold a candle to well designed bookshelf or towers.
Really? They have a soundbar that is one of the best things I have ever heard.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #36
Veteran

So I have a pair of hose 901s I bought in the early 70s the foam has went to shit on them and Bose wants on top of 700.00 to fix any other options that won’t compromise the sound? I bought a new pair to replace them but would like to get the old ones fixed and give to my son just not 700.00 worth lol
R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #37
Snacks Are Under My Apron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I only know about Camero speakers!!!
It’s Camaro, bro...
threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #38
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Really? They have a soundbar that is one of the best things I have ever heard.
They pass the wife's eye test.

I think of Sonos as I do Bose wonderful engineering in 10 cent speakers with a marketing department second to none.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #39
Snacks Are Under My Apron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
Yep, and for the most part the Radio Shack stuff was really good, it just wasn't worth the absurd prices they charged for it.

If I was buying new I'd lean strongly towards Yamaha for sure, but I'd kinda like to save these because they have a cool ribbon tweeter on top, nothing else out there like them that I know about.
Yeah I remember Optimus being very competitive with the large brands. We had an Optimus in our “Kids Den” with our game systems and arcade machines. I blasted Prince ‘When Doves Cry’ album a lot. My mom heard Darling Nikki and came in and took my cassette tape, 3 times. The fourth time she pulled the tape out of the cassette.

I remember the Glory Days of Radio Shack it seemed like they had everything there was to offer at the time.
threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #40
Hockey Town

Quote:

I think of Sonos as I do Bose wonderful engineering in 10 cent speakers with a marketing department second to none.
Well they have about as good of an infrastructure as you could ask for as far as pairing them together and all that.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #41
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Well you said they were expensive so I figured that eliminated me but if you throw up a link I'll check them out
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #42
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:

I have an Acoustimass system that I really like but it's not something I ever would have bought new. Years ago I did some work on a guy's house who had a set of Polk Audio SDAs sitting around, and he convinced me I needed them so I took them as partial payment for the job. Well...long story short the wife didn't seem to share my appreciation for them so I traded them for the Acoustimass and some high powered Polk bookshelf speakers. Probably got the short end of the deal but they were a better fit for my needs.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #43
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
Well you said they were expensive so I figured that eliminated me but if you throw up a link I'll check them out
Well they are expensive a soundbar is 700 bucks...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sonos&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Playbar...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I wanna put that in my living room but again 700 bucks...
Old 04-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #44
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebag02 View Post
Yeah I remember Optimus being very competitive with the large brands. We had an Optimus in our “Kids Den” with our game systems and arcade machines. I blasted Prince ‘When Doves Cry’ album a lot. My mom heard Darling Nikki and came in and took my cassette tape, 3 times. The fourth time she pulled the tape out of the cassette.

I remember the Glory Days of Radio Shack it seemed like they had everything there was to offer at the time.

I loved Radio Shack, I was always tinkering around with electronics and they had what I needed for whatever hairbrained idea I came up with.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #45
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Well they are expensive a soundbar is 700 bucks...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sonos&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Playbar...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I wanna put that in my living room but again 700 bucks...
fredsanforditsthebigoneelizabeth.gif