Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 PM  
The Maintenance Guy

Any stereo speaker experts around here?

Or at least someone more knowledgeable than me anyway.

Since I, like everyone else, have been spending more time at home, I'm getting around to projects that have been sitting around for a while. I've been wanting replacement woofers for some cool older Optimus speakers and I'm having trouble finding an exact match. First off, I'm not even sure how to measure for size, I think they're 4 1/2"? Or do I measure the metal frame of the speaker as well?

Also, the impedance printed on the speaker itself says 6 ohms, but the data plate on the cabinet says 8 ohms. Which is it? And the wattage says 65 with a max of 130. So anything in between is ok? Or do I want to look for 65?

Any help is appreciated!

Pics for reference:

Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #16
The Maintenance Guy

Well shit, the image search turned up better results than any other search I've done on them.

Apparently they are 5 1/4", Amazon used to have a direct replacement but they're no longer available.

But looky here...

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...eaker--295-303

I may just pull the trigger on these.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #17
Be Kind To Your Pets

Not to be negative, but why rebuild Radio Shack speakers? You can get good stuff on Craig's List. Get some Polk, Infinity, JBL or Klipsch.
gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #18
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblowfish View Post
Not to be negative, but why rebuild Radio Shack speakers? You can get good stuff on Craig's List. Get some Polk, Infinity, JBL or Klipsch.
I've used JBL's but I'm telling you Sonos is where it's at if you got the money to spend.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #19
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, they're a unique speaker, if they didn't have the ribbon tweeter I wouldn't bother. Just for fun basically.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #20
MVP

Quote:
B&W all day long, baby......
RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #21
MVP

Get a Marshall mini MS-4 mico stack at guitar Center for $69 new
SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #22
The Maintenance Guy

GODDAMNIT I AM NOT LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS I JUST WANT TO REVIVE A TRIPPY OLD SET OF SPEAKERS AAAAAGHHHHHH
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #23
MVP

Look on eBay for that needle in a haystack !
SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #24
The Maintenance Guy

I'm pretty sure I already found it.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #25
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
Well shit, the image search turned up better results than any other search I've done on them.

Apparently they are 5 1/4", Amazon used to have a direct replacement but they're no longer available.

But looky here...

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...eaker--295-303

I may just pull the trigger on these.
The claim to fame on those speaks was the dipole lineaum tweeter.

Also be aware that Dayton has a Depth 2.74" or about 2 3/4" check that back magnet to inside face speake plate. Make sure you have clearence in the old box.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #26
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
The claim to fame on those speaks was the dipole lineaum tweeter.
THIS IS WHAT I KEEP TRYING TO TELL EVERYONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Also be aware that Dayton has a Depth 2.74" or about 2 3/4" check that back magnet to inside face speake plate. Make sure you have clearence in the old box.
Old one is the same depth.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #27
Fight, build, win!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...-did-i-do.html

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ineaum.294255/

From these two forums I gleaned the specs on that woofer.

SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Response ............................................................ ............................ 80–25,000 Hz
±10 dB
Power Handling ............................................................ ................................ 75 Watts (RMS)
Maximum Power ............................................................ ........................................ 150 Watts
Impedance ............................................................ ................................... 8 Ohms (Nominal)
Speaker Complement ........................ 5-Inch Cone Woofer made with KEVLARâ brand fiber
and 2 ´ 4-Inch Linaeum Dipole Tweeter
Dimensions (HWD) w/Front Grille .................................................. 105/8 ´ 61/4 ´ 77/8 Inches
(27 ´ 16 ´ 20 cm)
Weight...................................................... ............................................................ .....7 1b 8 oz
(3.4 kg)

Last edited by srvy; 12-26-2022 at 09:39 PM..
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #28
The Maintenance Guy

Jeesh, that one I linked doesn't really stack up to the original. You ever done a foam replacement? I feel like that's pushing it to "not worth the trouble" territory.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #29
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
Jeesh, that one I linked doesn't really stack up to the original. You ever done a foam replacement? I feel like that's pushing it to "not worth the trouble" territory.
I have not but I have a pair of 1970s era Janzen Electrostatic speaker that need it.

You tube has a lot of video on the process.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #30
Fight, build, win!

This may fit your needs from Madisound. Says its an excellent drop-in speak for Pro LX511

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...r-cone-woofer/

Only problem is its OOS right now.

Also doesn't hurt to call Parts Express or online chat if they think or have a suggestion for your speaker maybe that 5 1/4 fits who knows.