Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2020, 08:50 AM  
Andy Reid Supporter

Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft

Saw some news today I thought I’d share.

From Matt Miller’s article this morning:

Quote:
KANSAS CITY: The word on the scouting streets is that general manager Brett Veach wants to add more premium targets for Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, but don't rule out a trade back from No. 32 overall. Many sources around the league believe the Chiefs could move out of the first and pick up valuable Day 2 selections to pick up starter-level players at cornerback and running back.
From Nate Taylor (yes the athletic is free right now):

Quote:

In the past couple of weeks, after coaches, team personnel and players were encouraged to work from home, Reid, 62, has enjoyed learning the videoconference technology from companies such as Zoom and Webex. He, along with Veach, have interviewed some draft prospects via Webex. Coaches meetings have taken place on Zoom.

Reid knows it’s possible the Chiefs could make their draft selections with everyone at their respective homes. Teams were informed by the league Thursday that coaches, executives and scouts might be allowed to return to their facility for the draft with only 10 people in each room and everyone distanced at least 6 feet apart. The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Reid said the Chiefs are considering having their war room at a local hotel with certain people in different rooms.

“We haven’t put our finger down on one thing as of yet,” Reid said. “We’re approaching it like we’re having a season. At the same time, we’re very sensitive to everything going on.”

Reid agreed with the league’s decision to not postpone the draft. Beyond interviewing prospects via Webex, Reid is confident that Veach and the team’s scouting department can properly evaluate the talent in this year’s draft class. And when asked whether the draft could uplift fans’ emotions during the pandemic, Reid believed one of the league’s biggest annual events can be a welcome distraction.
The hotel idea sounds great.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #61
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3263518 View Post
We will have plenty of cap space next year so if we draft well in this draft, I can see a dynasty for years and years to come. I truly believe that Mahomes with Veach as GM putting the pieces around him can win at least 5 Super Bowls.
The cap space next year is a bit misleading. Mahomes and Jones could eat up a lot of space and we have quite a few important pieces that will FA and will need to be either signed or replaced.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #62
Rufus Dawes Jr.

Exactly - and available cap space means that contract expire and those guys will need to be replaced. I mean look at all the one year contract we have handed out. But guys like Watkins and D Rob will need to be replaced.
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #63
Replaced by a future HOFer !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post

bolstering the offensive line is a necessity.
This a million times.

I don't care how many weapons Mahomes has around him IF you can't keep him upright it doesn't matter. Mahomes makes everyone better around him and if it means taking slightly less talent at WR and RB in order to keep a steely wall in front of him I'm all for it.

Last edited by Chiefshrink; 04-04-2020 at 10:00 PM..
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #64
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
This a million times.

I don't care how many weapons Mahomes has around him IF you can't keep him upright it doesn't matter. Mahomes makes everyone better around him and if means taking slightly less talent at WR and RB in order to keep a steely wall in front of him I'm all for it.
I think they could use better play from the interior linemen but to suggest having an all pro line instead of receivers is counterintuitive.

The only way to truly prevent QB hits is to get the ball out of his hands. Having weapons at TE, slot WR, and RB accomplish that.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #65
'Tis my eye!

Look at the teams that have spent big money in linemen. They honestly don’t perform all that well in the playoffs because the playoffs accentuate big plays.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #66
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk13 View Post
Andy Reid has a long, long 20 year track record of drafting RBs in the middle rounds of the draft and turning them into stars.
This is actually completely false. More myth and hyperbole than fact.

While Reid definitely hit on a few guys throughout the years, his "Hit Rate" is clearly not exceptional:

2000-6 Thomas Hamner
2001-4 Correll Buckhalter
2002-2 Brian Westbrook
2004-7 Bruce Perry
2005-3 Ryan Moats
2007-3 Tony Hunt
2009-2 LeSean McCoy
2010-6 Charles Scott
2011-5 Dion Lewis
2013-3 Knile Davis
2014-4 D'Anthony Thomas
2017-3 Kareem Hunt
2019-6 Darwin Thompson

Westbrook, McCoy and Hunt (before the incident) are his best selections by a long shot. But during that time, the Chiefs hit on Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles, two players that were clearly in the upper echelon of NFL running backs despite spending the majority of their careers on very bad football teams.

This isn't an indictment of Reid but does prove that he's always searching for quality running backs, even if he has a better-than-average starter.

Again, this isn't an indictment of Reid but he's not a "RB Guru" of any sorts.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #67
Curmudgeon

I believe it's a combination of BPA and need. I'd be hard pressed to give a lot of praise to drafting a RB or WR in the 1st if there's a good LB or CB available. I think either of those positions can be filled in a later round, plus a defensive player would probably game ready sooner than a skill player in our offense. I'd even take a real OT (not a G that can play OT) before a RB. Fisher and Mitch aren't getting any younger.
oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #68
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I believe it's a combination of BPA and need. I'd be hard pressed to give a lot of praise to drafting a RB or WR in the 1st if there's a good LB or CB available. I think either of those positions can be filled in a later round, plus a defensive player would probably game ready sooner than a skill player in our offense. I'd even take a real OT (not a G that can play OT) before a RB. Fisher and Mitch aren't getting any younger.
And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #69
In Search of a Life

Chiefs need 4.75 mil for draft picks. Currently they have around 3.7 mil and that doesnt include Seals, Sherman or Drob
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #70
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! View Post
Chiefs need 4.75 mil for draft picks. Currently they have around 3.7 mil and that doesnt include Seals, Sherman or Drob
Those last three players will be on Vet Minimum and only the Top 51 players count towards the cap.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #71
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Those last three players will be on Vet Minimum and only the Top 51 players count towards the cap.
The 3.7 mil that they have available takes into account only the top 51. This is according to Spotrac
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #72
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! View Post
The 3.7 mil that they have available takes into account only the top 51. This is according to Spotrac
Yeah, that's how it works.

Any player added to the roster at Vet Minimum or less won't carry a cap charge because the Top 51 already count fully towards the cap until the start of the regular season.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #73
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
I think they could use better play from the interior linemen but to suggest having an all pro line instead of receivers is counterintuitive.

The only way to truly prevent QB hits is to get the ball out of his hands. Having weapons at TE, slot WR, and RB accomplish that.
You’re overstating the position of many by saying we want an all pro line, but is it too much to ask to not have an interior trio made up of 5th-7th rounders?

Personally, I think round 3 is the sweet spot for a guard or center... that’s all I ask

If Veach wants to go offense in round one with someone like Brandon Aiyuk, to prepare for Watkins inevitable departure next season... I’d be all about it, but one lineman in the top 3 surely isn’t asking too much
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #74
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post
You’re overstating the position of many by saying we want an all pro line, but is it too much to ask to not have an interior trio made up of 5th-7th rounders?

Personally, I think round 3 is the sweet spot for a guard or center... that’s all I ask

If Veach wants to go offense in round one with someone like Brandon Aiyuk, to prepare for Watkins inevitable departure next season... I’d be all about it, but one lineman in the top 3 surely isn’t asking too much
Hardman should be the replacement for Watkins. Next year we can draft a receiver or add someone in free agency.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #75
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft.
I don't really agree on the RB part, but in general i agree. If there is a WR you love that falls to 32? Take him. If there's a great CB there take him.

The teams that draft at the end of the rounds that draft well, draft the best players and fit things around them. Draft and development is what we are all about now in KC.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.