Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2020, 08:50 AM  
Andy Reid Supporter

Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft

Saw some news today I thought I’d share.

From Matt Miller’s article this morning:

Quote:
KANSAS CITY: The word on the scouting streets is that general manager Brett Veach wants to add more premium targets for Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, but don't rule out a trade back from No. 32 overall. Many sources around the league believe the Chiefs could move out of the first and pick up valuable Day 2 selections to pick up starter-level players at cornerback and running back.
From Nate Taylor (yes the athletic is free right now):

Quote:

In the past couple of weeks, after coaches, team personnel and players were encouraged to work from home, Reid, 62, has enjoyed learning the videoconference technology from companies such as Zoom and Webex. He, along with Veach, have interviewed some draft prospects via Webex. Coaches meetings have taken place on Zoom.

Reid knows it’s possible the Chiefs could make their draft selections with everyone at their respective homes. Teams were informed by the league Thursday that coaches, executives and scouts might be allowed to return to their facility for the draft with only 10 people in each room and everyone distanced at least 6 feet apart. The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Reid said the Chiefs are considering having their war room at a local hotel with certain people in different rooms.

“We haven’t put our finger down on one thing as of yet,” Reid said. “We’re approaching it like we’re having a season. At the same time, we’re very sensitive to everything going on.”

Reid agreed with the league’s decision to not postpone the draft. Beyond interviewing prospects via Webex, Reid is confident that Veach and the team’s scouting department can properly evaluate the talent in this year’s draft class. And when asked whether the draft could uplift fans’ emotions during the pandemic, Reid believed one of the league’s biggest annual events can be a welcome distraction.
The hotel idea sounds great.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I've been running mocks moving out of the first and and picking up extra picks. I'm always happy with what I end up with.

I predict that's what Veach ends up doing. Seems like there's a LOT of real talent in the second, third and depending on position even into the fourth rounds
Yeah moving out of the first is looking more and more likely, there’s definitely great value well outside the first at multiple positions
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #17
Black Bob's daddy

I fully support moving out of the first, but it's crazy to think that if we do Veach will have never had a 1st round pick at his disposal through his first 3 years on the job.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #18
MVP

I can’t wait to see how the Chiefs address the draft. We’re set up to take Best Available Player, instead of reaching on a player. Veach is the man.

Last edited by BigChiefFan; 04-03-2020 at 09:54 AM..
BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #19
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefFan View Post
I can’t wait to see how the Chiefs address the draft. We’re set up to take Best Available Player, instead of reaching on a player. Veach is the man.
Are we really though? We possibly can take BPA within reason depending on the position, but what if BPA happened to be a WR, DT, S, or DE in the first? If you take one of those positions in the first I think you're just adding a luxury when much bigger needs are there. By all means, we can certainly take BPA at CB, LB, OL in my opinion, but I personally wouldn't say we're just so set at every position that we can ignore positional needs in the draft. We still have some pretty huge holes on the roster at CB and LB in particular.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #20
Mahomosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKchiefs View Post
Are we really though? We possibly can take BPA within reason depending on the position, but what if BPA happened to be a WR, DT, S, or DE in the first? If you take one of those positions in the first I think you're just adding a luxury when much bigger needs are there. By all means, we can certainly take BPA at CB, LB, OL in my opinion, but I personally wouldn't say we're just so set at every position that we can ignore positional needs in the draft. We still have some pretty huge holes on the roster at CB and LB in particular.

If a top notch receiver, tight end, safety, rb or pass rusher is available they should take them there too.

Kelce is getting older
Chris jones future with the team is uncertain
Tanoh is in a contract year
Speaks sucks ass
Sammy and Robinson likely gone next year
Mathieu has two contract years left

This team is setup so that whatever player they deem the best value they can snag. Any position would be able to contribute year one.
bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #21
Andy Reid Supporter

Aside from QB, BPA wouldn’t be bad at all.

WR-losing Sammy and Robinson after 2020
RB-Another weapon, Damien won’t be here more than 2 years
OT-can cut Fisher if we draft one, save $$
G-definitely could use a dominant LG
C-same ^^^
TE-Another weapon and Kelce is 30. Wouldn’t have to pay new TE until Kelce is 35.
DE-Tanoh is in contract year, Okafor can’t be kept at 2021 price and Ogbah is gone. Pass rush is key
DT-Another interior rusher next to Jones? Hell yeah. We don’t have a good interior rusher there outside of him (Speaks is unproven). Could also go entire contract before having to pay drafted player.
LB-obvious need
CB-obvious need
S-imagine a first rd safety would be able to play all over. No problem with that

I don’t like some of those positions for rd 1, but honestly it really wouldn’t bother me too much. What may not be a need now could be a need in 2 or 3 years and help benefit us cap wise.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
I fully support moving out of the first, but it's crazy to think that if we do Veach will have never had a 1st round pick at his disposal through his first 3 years on the job.
yeah, well, but you got Mahomes for two and Clark for one.

It's not like you didn't get value.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #23
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I've been running mocks moving out of the first and and picking up extra picks.
Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson bring bad memories from the Chiefs doing that in 2004
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #24
MVP

Quote:
To me, it’s always BPA, within reason. We aren’t drafting a 1st round Kicker, man. Lol. I’m just saying most of the team is solidified with good, solid players. A good GM is always looking to the future and I can see us drafting a WR and/or RB, even though it’s not an immediate need. If Denzel Mims or Jonathan Taylor is sitting there, it might be hard to justify taking a guard there. To me, it’s how do you improve the roster the best for the long term. It’s likely we lose Watkins, next year and our RB’s could use a bolster to the roster. I place a higher value on the skill positions and still see we could pick up a quality guard in the 3rd/4th/5th round.
BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.BigChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #25
I Like The Kansas City Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson bring bad memories from the Chiefs doing that in 2004
You could also look at the 2016 draft.

We moved out of the first and took Chris Jones. We still managed to grab Demarcus Robinson and Tyreek Hill later.

We also grabbed Parker Ehinger who we flipped for Ward.
smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #26
Curmudgeon

The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Has Boulevard has approached the Chiefs?

That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us trading out of the 1st, but at #32 I wonder what we could pick up. I doubt it would be much more than a mid to late 2nd.
oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #27
In Pat We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Has Boulevard has approached the Chiefs?

That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us trading out of the 1st, but at #32 I wonder what we could pick up. I doubt it would be much more than a mid to late 2nd.
What additional picks could we get from Miami if we drop from 32 to 39? I know Miami currently has multiple picks in the first, which makes it unlikely they would trade up, but it is entirely possible that they trade up to 2 or 3 to get a QB (using some of those first round picks). Maybe a receiver drops to 32 and Miami is keen to set up their QB-WR combo.
el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.el borracho wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #28
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
What exactly does weapons mean? I hope runningback. We have our entire WR core locked up for next year, so any WR we draft would likely be no better than #4 or #5 on the depth chart. Not exactly a pressing need at the moment considering our other needs.
People gotta get this shit out of their heads.

A drafted WR is only #4 or 5 until someone gets hurt. All of a sudden that player becomes a guy getting a lot of snaps.

This is a team that routinely uses 3 WR or more sets.

This offense essentially has 3 STARTING WR's. So your #4 guy is just an injury away from being a starter.

And since this offense is, scratch that, TEAM, is centered around Pat Mahomes and our passing game, it's crucial that the unit stays strong even through injuries.

You simply CANNOT go wrong drafting WR's for Mahomes no matter how many good ones you think you've got.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #29
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Are we really though? We possibly can take BPA within reason depending on the position, but what if BPA happened to be a WR, DT, S, or DE in the first? If you take one of those positions in the first I think you're just adding a luxury
They aren't luxuries. They're insurance policies that also give you added leverage and flexibility when the starter's contract comes due.

I.e it was nice having the "luxury" of Dee Ford when Tamba Hali fell off.

It was nice having the "luxury" of Watkins when Tyreek went down.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #30
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
They aren't luxuries. They're insurance policies that also give you added leverage and flexibility when the starter's contract comes due.

I.e it was nice having the "luxury" of Dee Ford when Tamba Hali fell off.

It was nice having the "luxury" of Watkins when Tyreek went down.
I still think they're luxuries when you see the holes we have at other positions, specifically LB and CB. I'm sure I'll get shit for spouting off yet again about the cornerback position, but the current state of the position is pretty dire and I think most people would agree. We have Ward and Fenton, that's it. Even if we sign Breeland, that's 3 guys. We absolutely need a cornerback that can contribute pretty much right away, and we don't have the cap room to address it in FA.

Linebacker has been a weakness for a while and while he wasn't exactly a playmaker, losing Ragland just makes the position worse. We still don't have a single linebacker on the roster who can adequately cover a runningback or tight end.

So yeah, I still think certain positions like WR are a luxury unless someone can come up with an explanation as to how the team will address cornerback and linebacker if they don't come out of the draft with each position addressed within the first 3-4 rounds.