Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 04-03-2020, 08:50 AM  
Andy Reid Supporter

Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft

Saw some news today I thought I’d share.

From Matt Miller’s article this morning:

Quote:
KANSAS CITY: The word on the scouting streets is that general manager Brett Veach wants to add more premium targets for Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, but don't rule out a trade back from No. 32 overall. Many sources around the league believe the Chiefs could move out of the first and pick up valuable Day 2 selections to pick up starter-level players at cornerback and running back.
From Nate Taylor (yes the athletic is free right now):

Quote:

In the past couple of weeks, after coaches, team personnel and players were encouraged to work from home, Reid, 62, has enjoyed learning the videoconference technology from companies such as Zoom and Webex. He, along with Veach, have interviewed some draft prospects via Webex. Coaches meetings have taken place on Zoom.

Reid knows it’s possible the Chiefs could make their draft selections with everyone at their respective homes. Teams were informed by the league Thursday that coaches, executives and scouts might be allowed to return to their facility for the draft with only 10 people in each room and everyone distanced at least 6 feet apart. The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Reid said the Chiefs are considering having their war room at a local hotel with certain people in different rooms.

“We haven’t put our finger down on one thing as of yet,” Reid said. “We’re approaching it like we’re having a season. At the same time, we’re very sensitive to everything going on.”

Reid agreed with the league’s decision to not postpone the draft. Beyond interviewing prospects via Webex, Reid is confident that Veach and the team’s scouting department can properly evaluate the talent in this year’s draft class. And when asked whether the draft could uplift fans’ emotions during the pandemic, Reid believed one of the league’s biggest annual events can be a welcome distraction.
The hotel idea sounds great.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #211
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! View Post
We just won the super bowl with our current O Line and RB against the best defense in the league. However we just lost a starting LB and CB. I think those are the first two needs
That running back has never been healthy enough to play a full 16 game season as the main back, making running back a definite priority.

Williams has 1,231 rushing yards and 12 TD's in six seasons.

Kareem Hunt had 1,327 and 8 TD's in his rookie season.

The Chiefs need a feature back.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #212
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Losing Wiz, but Rankin was rock solid in the time he saw last year with above average pass pro. Think we’ll take an OL in the mid rds for depth.

As much as some of you won’t like it, they’ll surely be thinking if Speaks as an Ogbah replacement. He’s not popular but he did show flashes playing as a freaking 280 lb LB (thanks Sutton). They’ll probably add another DE too but before we write Speaks off, remember Kpass being in a similar situation.

I think LB and corner are sure bets in this draft with some kind of weapon taken in the first 3 picks. Just not sure if that weapon taken early will be a WR or RB.
Agreed on Ogbah and was typing the same comments when I read your post.

While the Chiefs may or may not take an interior lineman with one of their 2020 selections, the Practice Squad increased from 10-14 and for the first time, veteran players can be assigned to the squad. The roster size increases from 53 to 58.

Considering that Reid's offensive lines have seen UDFA's, 6th and 7th round former draft picks become viable starters during his tenure, I think it's a safe bet that we'll see an increased number of offensive lineman on the Practice Squad and 58 man roster.

Reid's had very good luck with developing those kind of players over the years and with a limited number of picks in 2020, there's a good chance we'll see more of those types of guys on the 90 as they head into TC.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #213
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Losing Wiz, but Rankin was rock solid in the time he saw last year with above average pass pro. Think we’ll take an OL in the mid rds for depth.

As much as some of you won’t like it, they’ll surely be thinking if Speaks as an Ogbah replacement. He’s not popular but he did show flashes playing as a freaking 280 lb LB (thanks Sutton). They’ll probably add another DE too but before we write Speaks off, remember Kpass being in a similar situation.

I think LB and corner are sure bets in this draft with some kind of weapon taken in the first 3 picks. Just not sure if that weapon taken early will be a WR or RB.
No problem putting the blame on Sutton, but why would Veach even draft a guy who didn't fit the scheme at the time?

Also, ESPN did an article on players from each team that would suffer most from missing the off-season. Teicher picked Speaks for the Chiefs.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #214
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
And despite all of that, if one of:

Ruggs
Jefferson
Higgins
Lamb

Were to fall to 32, it would be awfully hard for KC to pass up that type of talent.

I don't see any way Jeudy falls (nor really Lamb or Ruggs) but Jefferson or Higgins could be there.

That's talent so good - and so much better than they're likely to be in position to draft themselves for years yet - you can't pass it up, IMO.

Plus, Watkins and Robinson are one-year solutions at this point.

I don't think of Higgins as comparable to those others. For me it is

Jeudy in his own tier

Then Lamb

Then Jefferson

After that Ruggs, KJ Hamler, Pittman, Shenault, Aiyuk all in a cluster

Then after that Mims and Higgins

Then you are looking at a Reagor, Mooney, etc

If we were to take a WR at the end of the 1st (assuming Jeudy, Lamb, and Jefferson gone) I would think about KJ Hamler.

Next year you move Hardman into Watkins spot (but play him as a vertical decoy) and wreck people with Hill, Hamler, Kelce and the running game.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #215
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Chiefs need to draft well because we aren't any better than we were last year.

QB - still a beast
WRs - same
Oline - worse, Wisniewski to Remmers. Is Remmer going to be a swing OT or LG? I don't want Wylie to start at LG anymore. I think we got worse.
TEs - same (jones is a better receiver but can't run block, pass block is ok)
RBs - same

DL - worse, loss of Ogbah
LBs - worse, loss of Lee, Ragland
CBs - worse, loss of Fuller, Breeland
Safeties - same if Thornhill comes back from injury

A whole lot of "pending" worse for a super bowl team. We better have a damn good draft. We need players than can produce in their 1st year.
We need to drop down in the draft and get more picks is what I'm thinking.
neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #216
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! View Post
We just won the super bowl with our current O Line and RB against the best defense in the league. However we just lost a starting LB and CB. I think those are the first two needs
only have 1 RDE (Kpass)

Suggs and Ogbah gone

CB is a real issue, I'm not sure we don't have to draft a CB in RD 1.

Losing Wis hurts at LG, Wylie sucks.
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #217
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKchiefs View Post
No problem putting the blame on Sutton, but why would Veach even draft a guy who didn't fit the scheme at the time?

Also, ESPN did an article on players from each team that would suffer most from missing the off-season. Teicher picked Speaks for the Chiefs.
Speaks played DE, DT and some stand up LB at Ole Miss. He was a very versatile player in college.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #218
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic View Post
I don't think of Higgins as comparable to those others. For me it is

Jeudy in his own tier

Then Lamb

Then Jefferson

After that Ruggs, KJ Hamler, Pittman, Shenault, Aiyuk all in a cluster

Then after that Mims and Higgins

Then you are looking at a Reagor, Mooney, etc

If we were to take a WR at the end of the 1st (assuming Jeudy, Lamb, and Jefferson gone) I would think about KJ Hamler.

Next year you move Hardman into Watkins spot (but play him as a vertical decoy) and wreck people with Hill, Hamler, Kelce and the running game.
I would slot them as:

Jeudy

Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson

Mims, Higgins, Aiyuk

I'm not nearly that high on Hamler and don't think the Chiefs need another WR like that. They need a more physical receiver like Mims or Jefferson or Shenault or Aigyuk to replace Watkins. Hardman is a speed/slot guy, but doesn't have the physicality of Sammy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Chiefs need to draft well because we aren't any better than we were last year.

QB - still a beast
WRs - same
Oline - worse, Wisniewski to Remmers. Is Remmer going to be a swing OT or LG? I don't want Wylie to start at LG anymore. I think we got worse.
TEs - same (jones is a better receiver but can't run block, pass block is ok)
RBs - same

DL - worse, loss of Ogbah
LBs - worse, loss of Lee, Ragland
CBs - worse, loss of Fuller, Breeland
Safeties - same if Thornhill comes back from injury

A whole lot of "pending" worse for a super bowl team. We better have a damn good draft. We need players than can produce in their 1st year.
It's way too early to compare this year's roster to last year's. Draft, end of FA will drastically change things.

It's not just about the draft. It's about what they will do with the cap space freed up by working out the final solution with Jones - either trading him or extending him will free up a lot of cap space.

They'll likely use that to address one of those problem spots you're talking about.

If Jones gets something like 5/$110m, with $25 million in signing bonus, his year 1 cap hit is likely going to be something like $6-7 million. That would free up basically $10 million clear of the cap needed for the draft pool. maybe some of that chips in towards a Mahomes extension. Or, maybe, that's used to bring back Breeland or sign Eli Apple and add a DE like Markus Golden who can help.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #219
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
I would slot them as:

Jeudy

Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson

Mims, Higgins, Aiyuk

I'm not nearly that high on Hamler and don't think the Chiefs need another WR like that. They need a more physical receiver like Mims or Jefferson or Shenault or Aigyuk to replace Watkins. Hardman is a speed/slot guy, but doesn't have the physicality of Sammy.

It's way too early to compare this year's roster to last year's. Draft, end of FA will drastically change things.

It's not just about the draft. It's about what they will do with the cap space freed up by working out the final solution with Jones - either trading him or extending him will free up a lot of cap space.

They'll likely use that to address one of those problem spots you're talking about.

If Jones gets something like 5/$110m, with $25 million in signing bonus, his year 1 cap hit is likely going to be something like $6-7 million. That would free up basically $10 million clear of the cap needed for the draft pool. maybe some of that chips in towards a Mahomes extension. Or, maybe, that's used to bring back Breeland or sign Eli Apple and add a DE like Markus Golden who can help.

Aiyuk starts as a slot only so he might be the only guy who doesn't fit here in that tier as Reid wants his WR's to have versatility. It's true that Hamler is not big and won't grab contested catches. But I don't care about that since what he does do is better...separate and get open. When you have a Rodgers or in our case a Mahomes..give me the guy who just gets open and is a TD if they make the slightest mistake. Explosive playmakers..keep adding.

Jefferson does fit that go get it guy but I expect he will be gone.

Mims is fine somewhere but he just doesn't do what Hamler does. He would be fine to add if we waited till the late 2nd early 3rd but I also suspect that teams will overvalue him. He just doesn't have that wow factor to me.

BTW, Louis Riddick who is friends with Veach just ended the ESPN draft special by saying watch out for KJ Hamler. He's the guy that's going high that the mock drafters keep ignoring.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #220
Andy Reid Supporter

Not specifically Chiefs rumor related but overall the rumors floating around is that a lot of teams are nervous about ****ing this draft up bc of this situation.

Geoff Schwartz made a good point about how teams will take the players first with the most complete scouting profile, basically guys from big schools and no injury concerns.

Makes me think some damn good steals could fall a rd like Bryce Hall.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #221
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRyan View Post
RB at #32 is the sword Dane has chosen to die on currently. Don't try having a rational conversation with him about other positions being of equal, or greater value.
Looks like I was right, Dr. Turdcutter
Old 04-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #222
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, don't. You sound like you have a hard time grasping simple thoughts.
Looks like I was right and you were wrong, despite your insults
Old 04-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #223
Supporter

Quote:
RB's have a short shelf life, that's why I picked the last one to come out in the 1st round.

But you probably didn't understand that..since you already think you can just grab OL in any round..it's all the same.

But while you might have adopted what you think is a brilliant draft philosophy ACTUAL NFL teams don't see it your way at all.

BTW, your constant, "Are you 12.." schtick is very childish. That's what psychologists call "projection". You are calling yourself out.
More moronic posts from this dipshit