Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 02-16-2020, 10:39 AM  
World's Best Boss

Let’s look back at the Chiefs Week 3 matchup with the Ravens

I’ll be honest, I have no idea why I wrote this. It’s a way too long breakdown about the Chiefs 2019 matchup against the Ravens and examines the potential of a future rivalry. I know there are still questions about the sustainability of Lamar’s game, but TL;DR - I hope he succeeds. A Mahomes-Lamar rivalry would be incredible as Chiefs fans and stellar for the game, even if Mahomes has the upper hand. I realized when I finished writing that I had no real place to upload this, so I landed on Chiefsplanet. I totally understand if you pass on this for other threads here. With that said..

Why the potential of a Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson rivalry puts Chiefs fans in a whole new territory of fandom.

Week 3, 2019: Ravens @ Chiefs

The media was buzzing coming into Week 3 of the Chiefs 2019 season. The Ravens were the first defense that slowed down Patrick Mahomes in 2018. The Ravens were up 24-17 with a minute left in the fourth quarter. It required one of Mahomes most iconic plays of his career, two fourth down conversions, and the Chiefs topping Baltimore after an unforgettable back and forth between Mahomes and Lamar and a fourth down stand by our defense. Mahomes hitting that 48 yarder on 4th and 9 last year is arguably the most iconic play of Mahomes career. If the Chiefs don’t convert on that play, the Chiefs miss home field advantage in the playoffs. The stakes couldn’t be higher, and no one else in the NFL could make that play - and Mahomes made it.

This play, in many ways, could be the spark that set the standard for this rivalry - and little did Chiefs fans know so early in the season that the stakes would ultimately be just as high in 2019. The Ravens came in being hyped as this year’s heir apparent to the AFC and Lamar the new star to challenge Kansas City and Patrick Mahomes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kan...235250012.html

A fantastic article from The Undefeated chronicled the hype going into the matchup, capturing quotes like this:
“Ravens defensive coordinator Don Martindale said Sept. 19 before the game that it might be “the next Brady-Manning matchup, Ali-Frazier, Magic-Bird.” Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu, only slightly more circumspect, told ESPN on Sept. 20 that Mahomes and Jackson were “generational talents” who “would be a matchup to watch for the next 15 years.”’

https://theundefeated.com/features/p...-quarterbacks/

Chiefs jumped ahead 30-13 after the third quarter and those opening quarters felt like a statement that when our offense was clicking with Mahomes, no one could compete against the Chiefs. The Ravens responded in the 4th quarter. A question coming into the game was if Lamar could lead drives with his arm if his team was back against a wall. Lamar Jackson responded by putting together dynamic plays to convert on multiple 4th downs in the 4th quarter. Lamar’s plays down the stretch got a lot of attention, as he weaved his way out of pressure and put up 50-50 balls that his receivers made fantastic plays on. In response, Mahomes engineered clutch drives at the end of the game to hold off the Ravens comeback. In the past Chiefs fans grew all too used to watching our former quarterbacks give the ball back with time left in the game. Giving the opponents just enough time to lose in a heartbreak - but this time, facing a 3rd and 9 and a first down away from victory, Mahomes sealed it against who would be the #1 seed in the AFC (with a play he lobbied for with Andy).

Mahomes excellence shouldn’t diminish the Chiefs revamped defense’s role in this win, with a Frank Clark coming through with a huge sack against Lamar in the 4th to hold the Ravens to a field goal late and The Landlord being called the defensive player of the game by several analysts.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...st-Chiefs-sack

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/...yer-on-defense

Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson bring a skill set that breaks all of the traditional norms of a Quarterback in the NFL. Mahomes was criticized going into the draft for lacking a consistent throwing motion and his unconventional footwork while Lamar was pushed to give up being a quarterback altogether. Watching Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson carry their phenomenal ability to the NFL and win the MVP awards has sent shockwaves through the league. These quarterbacks are shattering the traditional expectations of play and every down brings a new potential for them to do something unforgettable. Already, national writers are arguing that the question that carried the league for two decades (how do you stop Tom Brady and Patriots?) is starting to shift for NFL front offices around the league.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playof...l-comeback-god

Growing up in central Kansas, I never had access to watch the NBA and never developed an attachment to it - but I still grew up watching highlights in history from Larry Bird and Magic Johnson’s rivalry, or Wilt the Stilt squaring off against Bill Russell. In a similar vein as a non tennis fan I often find myself still watching Roger Federer square off against Rafael Nadal. Even as someone who often spent playoff time in a state of heartbreak due to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, I still made time to watch them meet on the playoff field every January. Watching rivalries like that also gives someone a timestamp in their life to look back on whenever they think about the game. Remembering these games also allows you to remember where you were in your life at that moment. Week 3 of this year was the first time my wife sat down to watch a Chiefs game with me (I sold her on the fact it’d be a big one), and it was where she started to really understand the game and my fandom. Later in the year she would be one of the people to convince me to take a spur of the moment trip with a couple of close friends to watch the Chiefs win their first ever AFC championship in Kansas City. It’s a big part as to why I will always look back fondly to the Chiefs Week 3 matchup with the Ravens.

With the last two games between the Chiefs and Ravens being absolute classics, I can only sit back and hope the rivalry between Mahomes and Lamar becomes a legendary one over the next decade. Next year, Kansas City travels to Baltimore, and we can only hope it becomes an epic third chapter of our next fabled rivalry between two transcendental athletes, which began with an overtime win in 2018 followed by the Week 3 win in 2019.

Last edited by Chiefspants; 09-18-2021 at 06:30 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Hello

Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Cheat Death

Caught the replay on NFLN yesterday and D-Rob stood out as making plays.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
MVP

Sorry, but I don't want anyone to succeed but Mahomes and the Chiefs.

They can be a rival in the sense that they ****ing lose to us by 10 points everytime.

I do not wish Lamar ill or want him to be injured...but I do not want him or his team competitive against us either. **** that noise.
mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
Special Teams ACE!!!

Mahomes to every "potential rival" QB he faces:

RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
In Search of a Life

Meh, I don't really want a rivalry. Don't get me wrong, lamar is really good. And the rivalry right now is pretty intriguing. The games are interesting because they're both exiting to watch. But I also hate that it leads to a ton of garbage overhype of a qb who isn't even close to the same level of mahomes. The qb matchups other than Brady I most want to see vs mahomes are in the nfc
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
World's Best Boss

^ I don’t disagree. What I’m rooting for is Mahomes to be the obvious winner in the rivalry but for a 10 year rivalry to exist and with that, Lamar being a successful QB in the league. For as many accolades the Brady v Manning rivalry has, does anyone want to guess Brady’s record against Manning before the 2015 season?

Spoiler!

I think part of why the Brady-Manning rivalry is played up was because those 2 were the best of their era even though Brady/Patriots were the clear winners in the rivalry, especially with Tom taking 6 rings to Manning’s 2. While there was some debate when Manning retired about who had the better legacy between them - Brady has all but put that to rest after 28-3 and last season. This isn’t the only example of a rivalry having a clear winner. While Chamberlain vs Russell is often looked back on as a rivalry, but Russell had a 84-58 matchup advantage and eleven rings to Wilt’s two. Wilt had 13 all star games compared to Russell’s 12, but it’s clear who the star of their head to head matchups were - I’m hoping for something similar with Mahomes.

With Mahomes and Lamar, you have 2 athletes who bring completely transformative skill sets compared to Tom and Peyton. Mahomes and Lamar are breaking the traditional norms and I hope they have long careers with dynamic matchups between them, especially if they have some legendary rivalry games between them. With that said, I’d still love Patrick to end up with a 12-5 career record or some such against Lamar when all is said and done - and many Ravens fans are worried that if the games come down between their arms, Patrick will ultimately have that advantage. When Patrick and Lamar do hang it up, my hope is that even the Skippy Bayless’ of the world will have to admit that Patrick is the GOAT in a resigned fashion.

The matchup in Baltimore next year should be a lot of fun - especially with our ol’ pal Marcus Peters in the mix. I wonder if Patrick will let him try on his ring?

Last edited by Chiefspants; 02-16-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
But I also hate that it leads to a ton of garbage overhype of a qb who isn't even close to the same level of mahomes.
Pretty much this.

Mahomes will lose a couple of games here and there in his career. When he does, and it's to one of these media-anointed "rivals" we then have to deal with, "DERP OTHER QB WON THE GAME MAYBE HE'S BETTER HERP DERP"

I want Mahomes to piss-pound Watson every time they face off. I want Jackson's career winning percentage against Mahomes to resemble Jon Gruden's against Mahomes.

Zero doubts in ANYONE'S mind who the real best QB in the NFL is.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
It was not a fair catch

I do not see jackson being long term. He will get blasted in the chest or turn into Kaeperloser. It will be a fast fall from grace.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
In Search of a Life

A predicate the time you put into this — but too many words. That game was over by the end of the third quarter and if not for two miracle heaves by Lamar it would have been much worse.

That’s why I feel pretty confident that the Ravens won’t be able to do anything resembling what they did last season. It was like that season the Broncos went to the playoffs with Tebow. Literally everything kept breaking their way over and over and over. The Ravens are good and Lamar has an interesting game, but he can’t bring his team back when they get down.
RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #11
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefspants View Post
^ I don’t disagree. What I’m rooting for is Mahomes to be the obvious winner in the rivalry but for a 10 year rivalry to exist and with that, Lamar being a successful QB in the league. For as many accolades the Brady v Manning rivalry has, does anyone want to guess Brady’s record against Manning before the 2015 season?

Spoiler!

I think part of why the Brady-Manning rivalry is played up was because those 2 were the best of their era even though Brady/Patriots were the clear winners in the rivalry, especially with Tom taking 6 rings to Manning’s 2. While there was some debate when Manning retired about who had the better legacy between them - Brady has all but put that to rest after 28-3 and last season.

With Mahomes and Lamar, you have 2 athletes who bring completely transformative skill sets compared to Tom and Peyton. Mahomes and Lamar are breaking the traditional norms and I hope they have long careers with dynamic matchups between them, especially if they have some legendary rivalry games between them. With that said, I’d still love Patrick to end up with a 12-5 career record or some such against Lamar when all is said and done - and many Ravens fans are worried that if the games come down between their arms, Patrick will ultimately have that advantage. When Patrick and Lamar do hang it up, my hope is that even the Skippy Bayless’ of the world will have to admit that Patrick is the GOAT in a resigned fashion.

The matchup in Baltimore next year should be a lot of fun - especially with our ol’ pal Marcus Peters in the mix. I wonder if Patrick will let him try on his ring?
Yeah, much as I want mahomes to dominate, I also know that a true rivalry is good for his legacy. I just want it to be with a legitimately great qb. It's a shame Russell is in the other conference and Rodgers is getting too old, because those are rivalries I want to see. Chiefs vs ravens is a great rivalry to want. Mahomes and lamar, to me, is overhype. Maybe great for the game but it's one that hurts mahomes legacy because it brings him down to a level he is clearly better than.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER View Post
A predicate the time you put into this — but too many words. That game was over by the end of the third quarter and if not for two miracle heaves by Lamar it would have been much worse.

That’s why I feel pretty confident that the Ravens won’t be able to do anything resembling what they did last season. It was like that season the Broncos went to the playoffs with Tebow. Literally everything kept breaking their way over and over and over. The Ravens are good and Lamar has an interesting game, but he can’t bring his team back when they get down.
I also think teams walked into this year trying to adjust to mahomes breaking the game. Offenses were dominating with wide open passing games so defenses loaded up on speed to beat speed. This season, we saw a lot of offenses exploit that by running down everyone's throats.

Have a feeling you'll see defenses next year really focus on stopping the run.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #13
Banned!

TLDR I like the Ravens’ tight ends.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
Starter

Mahomes rival is Watson, not Lamar imo.
YontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutYontsRBake is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 02-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
World's Best Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by YontsRBake View Post
Mahomes rival is Watson, not Lamar imo.
Possibly. At the moment I have zero faith in Big Brain O’ Brian. It is quite possible I’ll put equally wordy analysis up of the two matchups we’ve had with the Texans in 2019 (I’ve thought about it a bit already so I apologize in advance).

Last edited by Chiefspants; 02-16-2020 at 02:27 PM..