Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 02-22-2020, 08:28 PM  
Has a particular set of skills

The Hunters on Amazon

Pacino is a Nazi hunter. Well executed and produced. Based on true events but sure veers off to look at the cultural and mindsets of the 70’s just like someone else we know that, you know That doesn’t shy away from horrible, graphic violence. Remind anyone of a certain directors style?

Sure seems it wants to be a Tarantino series. Borders on a rip off of him. Through 2 shows so far. Love me some Tarantino so I’ll take some “B” level Tarantino.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #2
the great pumpkin

I've seen the first two episodes and I'm enjoying it.

I can definitely see the Tarantino aspects to it but to me it appears to be closer to the b movies that Tarantino repurposes than actual Tarantino. It is the cheesy nazi flick combined with a 70s cop drama and a blaxploitation film all in one. Tarantino takes those and elevates them with interesting themes and great dialog. Hunters just has the cheese (at least so far). But it does cheese pretty well.

I'm a little worried that Nazis infiltrating the government is going to be where they try to achieve some sort of depth and I don't think they will have the ability to pull it off.
heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heapshake View Post
I'm a little worried that Nazis infiltrating the government is going to be where they try to achieve some sort of depth and I don't think they will have the ability to pull it off.
I hope not. Thats not what this movie does but......Pacino signed on so maybe it gets serious later or Amazon offered him grand kids generational changing money?
Quote:
I can definitely see the Tarantino aspects to it but to me it appears to be closer to the b movies that Tarantino repurposes than actual Tarantino. It is the cheesy nazi flick combined with a 70s cop drama and a blaxploitation film all in one. Tarantino takes those and elevates them with interesting themes and great dialog. Hunters just has the cheese (at least so far). But it does cheese pretty well.
Yeah, agreed hence my "B" level comment. It's at least an homage, tip of the cap to Tarantino. I saw some of these 1970's movies in a theater. Definitely feels like those so far.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
the great pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Yeah, agreed hence my "B" level comment. It's at least an homage, tip of the cap to Tarantino. I saw some of these 1970's movies in a theater. Definitely feels like those so far.
There is no denying that this is trying to capture the feel of a Tarantino movie. The sudden burts of graphic violence, the humor, the way the Hunters are introduced, even the outfits seem like they'd fit in a Tarantino flick.

A lot of folks have tried to remake Pulp Fiction and most have missed the mark by a long shot. The Boondock Saints and Suicide Kings pop into my head as two big misses. Get Shorty (probably due to its source material) came the closest. The Hunters goes in a different direction in its Tarantino-ness (there is a lot more Tarantino to draw from these days) and I find it entertaining (so far).

I think we are on the exact same page.

I really expected to hear a lot more talk about the show. Amazon has been promoting it for a long time. I've been looking forward to it as much if not more than Better Call Saul coming back and it hasn't made much of an impact (at least in the sources I follow for entertainment news).
heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
Supporter

Just finished all 10. 3.5 stars.

It was certainly campy at times but I enjoyed it.

That “how I met your mother” guy is outstanding in his role.
alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
MVP

This was tonally all over the place. The pilot was pretty straight shooting, then they tried to go Tarantino for the proceeding episodes. The lead kid sucks, the writing sucks. About 3 episodes in, I'll probably finish this season but I dont imagine I'll hop aboard season 2.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #7

4 episodes in. When it tries to go “Tarantino” it gets cringe worthy. But, in other parts it’s well done TV.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
the great pumpkin

I think I have one episode left. For me it went downhill. There are parts where it feels like something South Park would do as a joke - but they are serious about it. There is one game show about why people hate the jews that really hits you over the head about how everyone you know along with yourself are anti-Semitic.

I might go for a second season. It certainly has its moments. I'm not sure how they can extend the story - around episode 7 or 8 I thought it was done.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
There is one game show about why people hate the jews that really hits you over the head about how everyone you know along with yourself are anti-Semitic.
It's a serious show at times. Sure that bit was overly preachy and I wouldn't have included in the series. Those flashbacks from the death camps are based on real stories told by survivors. They are powerful enough to illustrate the level of cruelty. but, the series main focus is as a story about Holocaust survivors seeking revenge on Nazi's.

I've heard someone in real life say those things in my presence. If that makes you uncomfortable or cringe, so be it. 75 MILLION people died in recent history because a group of people thought they were a superior race and the other races didn't have the right to exist.

Last edited by BigRedChief; 03-01-2020 at 09:24 AM..
Old 03-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
the great pumpkin

I finished it last night and the last episode went off the rails. Half the episode was exposition and the other half had me saying "Please don't do this" but it did it anyway.

I "enjoy" the flashbacks and the finding out some of the things that were going on. By the end I think the show does a disservice to those that lived and those that died. I liked How to Spot a Nazi and I thought the corn syrup plot line was dumb but I liked how over the top it was. I like watching a Nazi getting tortured. I liked watching Bif doing his shenanigans. Gasing the old lady was great. However, all of that is undercut by the ending. I guess the whole point of the series is that the Nazis are still winning and that isn't as much fun. After the last episode I don't think I'd watch another season.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
Supporter

I'm starting to feel extremely grateful that Jordan Peele has a creative outlet to let him blow off steam and postpone his race war.

Feel sorry for his wife Chelsea, picturing her sleeping soundly while he lays there muttering at her 'cracker ass, cracker, . . . never can be sure if you're one of the good ones. Got my eye on you, believe that. . . .'
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeauford View Post
This was tonally all over the place. The pilot was pretty straight shooting, then they tried to go Tarantino for the proceeding episodes. The lead kid sucks, the writing sucks. About 3 episodes in, I'll probably finish this season but I dont imagine I'll hop aboard season 2.
The actor playing Jonah is downright awful.

Quote:
I think I have one episode left. For me it went downhill. There are parts where it feels like something South Park would do as a joke - but they are serious about it. There is one game show about why people hate the jews that really hits you over the head about how everyone you know along with yourself are anti-Semitic.

I might go for a second season. It certainly has its moments. I'm not sure how they can extend the story - around episode 7 or 8 I thought it was done.
The game show bit was the most cringe worthy and just over the top terrible. I think I am 7 episodes in, I am ready for it to be done. The vast majority of the characters just aren't pulled off very well. The "sister", the B movie actor guy, Jonah, the young Nazi guy are all pretty bad.
DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.DrRyan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
Forever Royal

I began to find it pretty laboring to watch this show. I think I still have two episodes left but I just don’t feel the desire to finish it.
mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.